Old May 9th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

Default May Chess Life

How long has it been out? I haven't received mine yet.
Old May 9th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

I haven't received mine yet, either. But I'm not a member of the
USCF so I'd guess my issue is a long way off.
Being that Lucas is a Georgia boy, I suppose we could expect some
filler articles such as "59 Non-Food Uses for Grits."

Old Haasie

Old May 9th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Mike, the May issue missed the departure of the Fireball Mail out of
Crossville and had to be loaded instead onto Old 97.
Roll on, buddy.

Old Haasie

Old May 9th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
BrotherNehoc

Mike Murray wrote:
How long has it been out? I haven't received mine yet.

According to the USCF web site the May issue of Chess Life was to be
mailed out on April 28, 2006.

As of yesterday I have not received my May issue either. also, my
local chess club has not received their copy either!

I specifically mention my local club as their April issue got lost! I
had received my April issue, but 7 days after that I had still not
received the club/affiliate copy. During that 7 day period the club
did receive the paper copy of the April Supplement and an affiliate
renewal notice! When I called the USCF to get a replacement copy for
the club I mentioned these facts. I was told that the USCF policy is
to not send out replacement copies until after the 15th of the month.
As it was the Thursday before 'Good Friday' I did not want to wait 4
days & have to call back. I made it clear that I expected a copy to be
sent immediately. The replacement was mailed out April 20 and received
April 22.

This is the longest continually running [since 1954] chess club in
Illinois. However, if the same problem occurs again in May the USCF
can expect to lose a $40 a year affiliate as well as the few rating
fees that could be collected. The USCF has only a few strong points
that keep players coming back. One is ratings and another is regular
magazine. A the USCF is something of a service organization it is
expected that some efforts be made to provide adequate service.

However, if you are looking at no service and no magazine on a regular
basis. Well, the only obvious answer to give the USCF is: no money!

Old May 12th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:59:34 -0700, Mike Murray
wrote:

How long has it been out? I haven't received mine yet.

Showed up today. With all the buzz about the various changes, I was
looking forward to seeing the newer look.

Among the gems:

A full two-page spread devoted to the "2006 Chess Journalists of
America / Cramer Journalism Awards" announcement, complete with a
paragraph describing each of the 39 (!) categories. Progressing
toward a more relevant, interesting mag? All I can say is, ARE YOU
PEOPLE CRAZY?

Old May 12th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
The Historian

wrote:

How long has it been out? I haven't received mine yet.

Showed up today. With all the buzz about the various changes, I was
looking forward to seeing the newer look.

Among the gems:

A full two-page spread devoted to the "2006 Chess Journalists of
America / Cramer Journalism Awards" announcement, complete with a
paragraph describing each of the 39 (!) categories. Progressing
toward a more relevant, interesting mag? All I can say is, ARE YOU
PEOPLE CRAZY?

Haven't there been stories and announcements about the CJA in Chess
Life in previous years?

Old May 12th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

wrote:

How long has it been out? I haven't received mine yet.

Showed up today. With all the buzz about the various changes, I was
looking forward to seeing the newer look.

Among the gems:

A full two-page spread devoted to the "2006 Chess Journalists of
America / Cramer Journalism Awards" announcement, complete with a
paragraph describing each of the 39 (!) categories. Progressing
toward a more relevant, interesting mag? All I can say is, ARE YOU
PEOPLE CRAZY?

Haven't there been stories and announcements about the CJA in Chess
Life in previous years?

I suppose so. But seeing two full pages devoted to something like
this after reading about a new editor being installed, columns being
scratched, big bucks paid for consultants, etc., was boggling.

IMO, it's the kind of thing for which an announcement would be
appropriate, a paragraph or two describing the awards, maybe something
like "details on the web" or "write or e-mail for details", etc., with
some follow-on coverage once the awards have been given; maybe
republish some of the winners.

Essentially, I want to read chess journalism. Reading about plans for
awards for chess journalism is very low on my priority list. I have a
hunch most Chess Life readers might feel this way.
Old May 12th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
The Historian

wrote:

[...]

It was my understanding that it was the June issue that featured the
redesign.

Old May 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

On 12 May 2006 03:26:44 -0700, "The Historian"
wrote:

Essentially, I want to read chess journalism. Reading about plans for
awards for chess journalism is very low on my priority list. I have a
hunch most Chess Life readers might feel this way.

It was my understanding that it was the June issue that featured the
redesign.

In that case, my error.