Old May 9th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Why does the USCF not rate tournaments

I played in some tournaments over the weekend. The TD told me that he
submitted them online and the USCF took his money. But the USCF has
not rated them yet. Why is that the case?

Old May 9th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Tom Martinak

I played in some tournaments over the weekend. The TD told me that he
submitted them online and the USCF took his money. But the USCF has
not rated them yet.

The server has been down and they are working on getting the backup
server to handle everything without losing the last few transactions.

- Tom Martinak

Old May 9th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

COMPETENCE AT CROSS-TO-BEAR

The server has been down and they are working on getting the backup
server to handle everything without losing the last few transactions.
-- - Tom Martinak

FROM THE USCF FORUM

Important Note:

May 9, 2006 Downtime notice

Due to a systems failure in the Tennessee office, we are not able to
post any updates. We hope to resume updates to MSA on Wednesday, May
11th. "

May 11th is actually this Thursday.
_________________
Steve Immitt

Old May 9th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
LiamToo

Kenneth Sloan wrote:
He said "Wednesday, May 11". Nowhere did he specify "2006"

Was he bluffing though, because he's got the nuts?

Old May 10th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Nolan

"Zero" writes:

I played in some tournaments over the weekend. The TD told me that he
submitted them online and the USCF took his money. But the USCF has
not rated them yet. Why is that the case?

We had the power supply on the primary database server fail at about
8 PM Sunday night. Replacement parts are on order but we had no firm
estimate by mid-day on Monday for when they would arrive (possibly as
early as Wednesday or as late as Friday) so we made the decision yesterday
afternoon to switch over to the backup server. I arrived in Crossville
(from Fort Lauderdale) at about 11PM last night and have been working
on getting things working again.

Switching over to the backup server means that everything entered between
the last backup at 2:05AM and around 8PM on Sunday will need to be
regenerated and reprocessed. This includes memberships and rating reports
from the TD/Affiliate Support Area as well as memberships and tournament
registrations from the webstore.

We know that around 54 charges were made in that time period. We also
know who charged those orders and the office is already contacting those
individuals to get the missing information from them. The first priority
is to get memberships and tournament registrations caught up, since we
have the National Elementary Championships starting on Thursday.

We should start rating events again either later this evening or (more
likely) some time tomorrow morning, but events that were rated on
Sunday may need to be redone by the TDs. Updates to MSA should resume
some time on Thursday.

It's possible your event was rated and the data is sitting on the
hard drive, waiting for a power supply.

When we get the primary server repaired we may be able to recover all
of those memberships and events from it, but merging them with the orders
that have been processed on the backup server since it went online this
afternoon may actually take longer than just redoing them all.

Once we're back up 100%, we will be reviewing what happened, what it took
to get operational again, and how to improve things. We have already taken
the step of ordering TWO power supplies for the primary database server
system, as well as one for the backup server. That probably ensures that
the next failure will be some other component. :-)

One of the projects on the 'wish list' is closer synchronization of the
live and backup servers, which would have made this process somewhat
less painful, though the USCF does not have the capital budget needed
to build a fully redundant automatic fall-over system.

BTW, the USCF Forums have had discussion of the problem since Sunday
evening.
--
Mike Nolan