Old May 10th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
chessdon

Default Chess Retreat Photos

Chess Retreat Photos can be seen at my web site www.chessdon.com

Old May 10th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

THANK YOU, DON

I thoroughly enjoyed the photos, which someone called a
rogue's gallery of American chess.

Can you tell us about what happened at this chess retreat
and some of the conclusions that were reached?

Who paid for it, by the way?

Old May 10th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
chessdon

Larry Parr said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the photos

DS: "Thank you Larry!"

LP: "which someone called a rogue's gallery of American chess.

DS: Must have been Ilyumzhinov or Makropoulos.

LP: Can you tell us about what happened at this chess retreat
and some of the conclusions that were reached?

DS: Casey Steinbacher, our facilitator will write a report that will
be sent to us in 30 days. I will try to post some general comments of
attendees as they were leaving. Not one negative comment so far. But of
course you want substance, positive substance of success and that will
have to wait for casey's report. Casey has steered us in some very good
directions and did get very specific. I simply don't have time to
articulate it here as. every spare minute I spend here is one less
minute I can devote to defeating Ilyumzhinov in the FIDE elections.
Bessel will win the election because of 1000% effort by himself and
thioe supporting him. Kirsan and Makro are simply too over-confident
and cocky.

LP: Who paid for it, by the way?

DS: The organizations sending the participants paid for their
transportation and rooms. USCF paid for some of the meals and helped
some with a couple of participants such as Grandmaster Joel Benjamin
who was there to represent the interest of professional chess players.
USCF also paid for the cost of the facilitator, a fee well under
$1,000. Most attending frequently pay there own expenses. I and several
other volunteers are about to spend out of ppocket about $3,000 each to
attend and represent the USCF at the upcoming FIDE meetings and
elections.

Larry, why is the press so silent and seemingly indifferent on the FIDE
elections? Why no words on the Israeli Chess Federation's endorsement
of Ilyumzhinov, a man who is a friend of Saddam Hussein, who in turn
launched missles against Israel and is also responsible for the deaths
of many Americans. A man who wants drug testing in a quest for the
unattainable and against the wishes of our players who regard drug
testing as a useless exercise.

Old May 10th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

DON'S PHOTO GALLERY

Don Schultz's photo gallery is challenging. No
doubt about that. It is worth a visit if only for a
photo of Arnold Denker playing, quite possibly, his
final clocked game of chess. It is difficult to make
out the position on the board, but it appears that
Arnold is up a pawn, though his flag is hanging.

There is one unnerving photo of Don Schultz,
Rourke O'Brien (AF4C president) and Harold Winston,
who jumps out of the photograph and appears to be
leering into the camera. Upon seeing it, the teacup
and saucer in my hand clattered. Chess politics,
like chess itself, is a game of nerves.

I am all right, though still shaky.

One has to admit that Tim Redman appeared
thinner and donnish -- the best he has looked in
years. Dan Lucas, the new Chess Life editor, looks tough --
the kind of guy who might have played Al Pacino's son
in one of the Godfather sagas. He is certainly the
single person at the chess retreat or in the rest of
Don Schultz's photo gallery who might take a haymaker
to the breadbasket and possibly return a punch.

Jerry Hanken? Why does the man insist upon
attending chess retreats when he should be writing his
memoirs? Jerry is indeed a puzzlement. He is a
rumbustious type who obviously wants to perpetuate
himself, yet he won't set pen to paper. Among other
things, he could take revenge on me for my coverage of
the "Fists Up, Pants Down" episode.

Bill Hall surprised me. I had expected a
cross between Mike Nolan and Walt Disney's Old Yeller.
But no. The man looks just like William -- I almost
typed Edward -- Winter not only in face but in body
language. Winter was the British Communist who played
his best game of the Nottingham 1936 tournament in the
final round against Botvinnik. He agreed to a draw in
a winning position, but he still took an unexpected
half point away from the Soviet player, which
permitted Capablanca to tie Botvinnik for first.

If you had told me that there would come a
time when Bill Goichberg's pot would equal or exceed
that of Don Schultz, I would have stamped your ticket
for Bedlam. But so it goes.

GM Joel Benjamin is shown seated next to
Editor Lucas, which reminds us that all the nonsense
about a new Chess Life format necessitating firing GM
Larry Evans, was just that. Nonsense. There likely will
be a question-and-answer column possibly conducted
by GM Benjamin instead of the Sage of Reno.

Joel Channing looked bored, like the actor
John Goodman waiting between shots. Indeed, why
should he be interested in such an evidently
lachrymose proceeding as the chess retreat?

Don Schultz appeared delighted -- as he always
is at these chess conclaves. He is looking "in the
pink" these days, as Robert Montgomery put the matter
in Here Comes Mr. Jordan. I am happy to see that he
appears to have recovered from some health problems.

Which brings us to Robert Tanner, who connives
in FIDE to keep us in thrall to drug-testing. I would
like to report that he weighs 325 pounds and has
gigantic, two-foot long spikes of shocking orange hair
growing on top of his nose. Instead, he looked
discouragingly presentable in a group photograph,
though in a luncheon shot, he looked a bit like Robin
Cook, the late British foreign secretary who was once
described as a "garden gnome" and "yon wee pixie."

What is the final verdict on the group that
turned up for the chess retreat?

If you want to understand why the IOC will
never put chess into the Olympic Games, just eyeball
this group. These are not people who show their bods
at tropical Club Meds.

Yes, yes, I know. Several of these worthies are
undoubtedly fine human beings with cascades of virtues
when compared with nude beautiful people cavorting on
the beaches of Kuantan. Still, the subject is why
chess will never be in the Olympic Games.

By all means go to www.chessdon.com and click on
Photo Gallery. See for yourself. 'Nuff said.

Old May 10th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Chess Retreat Photos & Bribes

ISRAEL'S STRANGE ENDORSEMENT OF KIRSAN

Larry, why is the press so silent and seemingly indifferent
on the FIDE elections? Why no words on the Israeli Chess
Federation's endorsement of Ilyumzhinov, a man who is a
friend of Saddam Hussein, who in turn launched missles
against Israel and is also responsible for the deaths of many
Americans. A man who wants drug testing in a quest for the
unattainable and against the wishes of our players who regard
drug testing as a useless exercise. -- Don Schultz

PAYOFFS AND BRIBES

By Larry Parr

One of the stranger elements of the current FIDE
election is the U.S. Chess Federation's silence about
Israel's strange endorsement of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov,
the friend of Saddam Hussein, the man who launched
missiles at Israel.

To be sure, the USCF can be accused of meddling
in Israel's internal affairs by attacking this endorsement,
but the accusation carries little weight.

Any national federation is pefectly free to comment
on the actions of other national federations.

Yet one has had virtual silence from the USCF,
except by Don Schultz. One possibility is that Israel
Gelfer, longtime tsar of Israeli chess, has been offered
a pretty penny by Kirsan and has spread some of the
largesse in the direction of the USCF. How else to explain
so much USCF silence? Greased political wheels don't squeak.
Mr. Gelfer, we must remember, is the Israeli delegate who sold
out his own country when it was excluded in the 1986 world
team championship held in Dubai where UAE sheiks spent
over a million bucks to get Campo re-elected.

This election is the ultimate watershed fracas.

In the past many journalists, gadflies and a
precious few politicians have called for a new world
chess organization. This time around, for the first
time ever, many FIDE loyalists are actually planning
to pull up stakes and move out of FIDE if Ilyumzhinov
and Makropoulos seize another four years.

I have been told by major figures in FIDE that
a new world chess organization is a likelihood if
there is not radical reform of FIDE.

These major figures include both Europeans and
Americans. They call themselves the movers, shakers
and doers. Larry Evans and I have often called them
the crooks and schnooks. However, the point is that
over the long haul, these people now question the
viability of FIDE or, more accurately, whether FIDE
any longer serves the interests of major national
chess federations or even chess itself.

Intersting times ahead, one both cheers and fears.

Old May 10th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Since when does Joel Benjamin represent the professional players? How
typical of Don Schultz! This is just a meeting of a bunch of seasoned
chess politicians. And how come I was not invited?

Old May 10th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have been told by major figures in FIDE that
a new world chess organization is a likelihood if
there is not radical reform of FIDE.

This is indeed the talk of the West!

These major figures include both Europeans and
Americans. They call themselves the movers, shakers
and doers. Larry Evans and I have often called them
the crooks and schnooks. However, the point is that
over the long haul, these people now question the
viability of FIDE or, more accurately, whether FIDE
any longer serves the interests of major national
chess federations or even chess itself.

I also have Don's picture, but have written to say that its not news if
there is nothing to report ! beyond the logistics of the meeting itself
Jerry Hanken is due to report in a month in CL, and has so far informed us
that he signed up 10 of the people there [who don't appear to be journalists
to me, but....] for the CJA, therefore offsetting $100 of his $600 expense -
so there!

Intersting times ahead, one both cheers and fears.

Before the meet Don wrote me on the necessity of fundamental change -
fundamental = his term. When I saw the photograph, and who this encounter
with 'critics' was actually with, I too cringed, since fun and mental are
here conjoined by a da.

I should douubt whether we here what went on beyond a cheerful synopsis.

Phil Innes

Old May 10th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Alan OBrien

wrote in message
oups.com...
ISRAEL'S STRANGE ENDORSEMENT OF KIRSAN

Are you saying something against Israel?

Old May 10th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

oups.com...

Larry Parr said:

[...]

Because so very few people have any information at all. As you may know, CV
is the only outfit in the West to grant Bessel Kok an interview. Perhaps it
will still appear in the London press.

People are not interested because they don't know what the issues are!

Why hasn't ChessLife done a feature on this subject?

Why indeed is there no information about the USCF chess retreat? Why was it
mischaracterised as a 'meeting with critics'? Why is Joel Benjamin chosen to
represent GMs? [an odd choice!]

Is this intentionally putting everyone to sleep?

Phil Innes

Old May 10th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:

"chessdon" wrote in message
oups.com...
THANK YOU, DON

Because so very few people have any information at all. As you may know, CV
is the only outfit in the West to grant Bessel Kok an interview. Perhaps it
will still appear in the London press.

People are not interested because they don't know what the issues are!

Why hasn't ChessLife done a feature on this subject?

Because they want no one to know about it. It's a political get
together.

Why indeed is there no information about the USCF chess retreat? Why was it
mischaracterised as a 'meeting with critics'? Why is Joel Benjamin chosen to
represent GMs? [an odd choice!]

Because Joel Benjamin is one of Don's puppets. So are Jen and Greg
Shahade. People like Kamsky, Onischuk or Nakamura would never bow down
to Schultz. See the trend? Don only works with American born players.
He doesn't give a **** about the foreign born players.

Is this intentionally putting everyone to sleep?

They're already sleeping. They don't want to wake the members up.

Phil Innes