Old May 15th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

Default Straw Poll: Should Larry Evans have been fired from CL?

Poll is up: http://forums.delphiforums.com/chess...ges?msg=4124.1

Vote on if GM Larry Evans should have been fired from Chess Life.

Phil Innes

Old May 15th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

WHO WILL VOTE NO?

Poll is up:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/chess...ges?msg=4124.1

Vote on if GM Larry Evans should have been fired from Chess Life
-- Phil Innes

At least three:

1. Louis Blair
2. Neil Brennen
3. Taylor Kingston

Old May 15th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Andrew Zito

Who is Larry Evans. Don't know him. I only know Kamsky.

Andrew Zito

Old May 15th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Andrew Zito

Old May 15th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

After 51 votes it ain't looking all that good for Evans. 23 Yes 25 No
and 3 No Opinion.

Old Haasie

Old May 15th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
The Historian

wrote:
After 51 votes it ain't looking all that good for Evans. 23 Yes 25 No
and 3 No Opinion.

Parr, Innes, and Evans are going to be busy this morning creating fake
identities so they can vote multiple times.

Old May 15th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

Coming around the far turn and heading for home is Larry Evans with 35
Yes 32 No and 4 No Opinion.

Old Haasie

Old May 15th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

Chess One wrote:
"The Historian" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
After 51 votes it ain't looking all that good for Evans. 23 Yes 25 No
and 3 No Opinion.

Parr, Innes, and Evans are going to be busy this morning creating fake
identities so they can vote multiple times.

its interesting that corporal clegg should volunteer this suggestion

before i announced the poll to 4 disparate newsgroups, vote to retain evans
was 75% with 8% abstaining, 17% against

phil innes

Phil,

What were the exact totals of the vote before you announced the survey
on the 4 different newsgroups?

That would indeed matter. I see that presently there are just under 90
total votes on the site.

I see from your first post dating you posted the news yesterday,
Mother's Day. I personally did not check this newsgroup until this
morning because I was busy honoring my wife, mother and mother-in-law.

So, how many people voted to retain Evens before your announcements?
Being a math person, I deduced your percentages show that the actual
numbers could be as small as 9 for Evans, 1 abstaining and 2 against.
You must admit that if you were basing your statements on only 12
participants then the sampling is quite slim. I do understand you may
have rounded off the percentages also, however seeing that the chess
playing population is in the tens of thousands I think that anything
under 500 total votes might be insignificant as a sampling.

A second point is that I read your posting on this forum and on the
USCF forum. In both instances you ask if Larry should have been fired.

The actual poll question asks if Larry should continue as a columnist
for Chess Life.

This can be confusing if the person clicks the link with your posting
question in mind. The person could answer the survey question thinking
it was asking the same or similar question that you posed on your
posts.

A Yes vote from your postings' question is against Larry being a
columnist, where a Yes vote on the survey is a vote FOR Larry being a
columnist. This possible confusion could also contaminate the survey
results.

Old May 15th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
David Kane

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

In a recent WCN article, Evans himself reported that Cindy
Hsu of CBS-2 recently said "More than 45 million
people in the U.S. play chess and more than half are
children."

The fact that there are only 90 votes (NOT
a scientific sampling) says everything. Innes' view
that chess is the property of a few dozen
unbalanced seniors like himself should
have no place in any chess organization.

A second point is that I read your posting on this forum and on the
USCF forum. In both instances you ask if Larry should have been fired.

The actual poll question asks if Larry should continue as a columnist
for Chess Life.

This can be confusing if the person clicks the link with your posting
question in mind. The person could answer the survey question thinking
it was asking the same or similar question that you posed on your
posts.

A Yes vote from your postings' question is against Larry being a
columnist, where a Yes vote on the survey is a vote FOR Larry being a
columnist. This possible confusion could also contaminate the survey
results.

Good points. Also, reference to "firing" is misleading
when the actual topic is magazine content.