Old May 15th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.chile

Default Questions about the US Delegation to FIDE Meetings

Questions about the US Delegation to FIDE Meetings

1. Will the USCF pay for Beatriz Marinello's travel to Italy and her
accommodations? Have they already reimbursed her for her air fare?
What money was spent in 2004 on Ms, Marinello's visit to the Calvia
Olympiad and for other USCF representatives. This is a fundamental
question as the men's team took a $2000 pay cut per player. Was the
famous dinner ( $2,000 !? bill) in Calvia paid for by USCF members?

2. A fundamental question is what assets should the USCF direct
towards sending representatives to FIDE meetings? What sort of
benefits might be expected? What is the cost benefit analysis when
taking into account the USCF was unable to fund its 2006 Olympic team
at the level it did in 1996 and is having to issue an appeal to
members?

3. Will the USCF go on record as objecting to Beatriz nomination? See
the FIDE statue below - the nomination must be raised before the
election.

4. If the USCF does not object (as opposed to just not supporting) and
Beatriz is elected, will the USCF pay her way to subsequent meetings
of FIDE? Would she be required to represent the USCF policies even
though she would not be a USCF delegate or Zonal President - ie. not
directly tied to the USCF. Would the USCF have any way of policing
this?

Old May 15th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

THE GUILDING PRINCIPLE

One must always remember the guiding principle:
FIDE politicians first; players second. Which is to say, last.

Those with long memories will recollect the
famous Dubai 1986 political feeding frenzy when the
USCF sent four politicians and paid their ways while
claiming they could not afford a team captain.

They were drinking, eating, and snoozing in the hotel
lobby. Well fed, looking happy, feelin' go-o-o-o-d. The
gravy train still continues today with a "consultant"
getting $50,000 for redesigning Chess Life and the
USCF website without any open bidding. Paul Hoffman
got $10,000 in advance and, by his own admission,
has still filed no written report.

Notice the arrogance with which such decisions
are made. Trash the players; quietly feed the
politicians. The members of the Executive Board
possess an enormous sense of entitlement ..
to the money of the membership.

As for drug testing, if players don't knuckle
under our best and brightest will do nothing. They
will take the funds of members and players, but they
will not defend their social freedoms against
intrusive, irrational invasions of privacy.

BAUER THINKS MARINELLO IS THE CAT''S MEOW

The actual cost of the move to Cross-to-Bear
will come to about $1 million, far over budget.

Let us remember the numbers. They were
understated and, as the prices rose in low-cost
Tennessee, they were hidden.

I reported in March 2005 that the building down
in Cross-to-Bear was estimated to cost $650,000 by the
Board itself, which was confirmed nearly two months
later. The end result is a wooden building built on a
kind of platform that is about 40 percent the size of
the building in New Windsor. We were told the move
was necessary because the USCF staff lacked
parking space even after the books and equipment
business was outsourced to ChessCafe.
..

Old May 15th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Andrew Zito

Everyone now knows that Marinello is a ****ing lying bitch. There's no
nice way to put it. Marinello is only about herself. She's the best
chess politician money can buy. This ****ing bitch can't be trusted.
This lesbo used John McArthur for her green card then left him broken
hearted. How low can she go? Now she's selling her vote for a murderer!

Andrew Zito

Old May 15th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Louis Blair

Larry Parr wrote (14 May 2006 18:56:14 -0700):

We were told the move was necessary because
the USCF staff lacked parking space even after
the books and equipment business was
outsourced to ChessCafe.

_
Here is some of what Timothy Hanke wrote about
the move to Crossville:
_
"We have sold our New Windsor building
which was too large and (paradoxically) had
insufficient parking. In a matter of months, we
will be shut of the $50,000-a-year lease next
door to our former building. Soon, I hope, we
will also be rid of our current storage charges
of $2,100 a month. Cutting out those two
major expenses will practically pay for our
mortgage in Crossville!
_
We are moving to an attractive and prosperous
area with low costs. The local chess
establishment is very active, and we have
received a gift of valuable land appraised at
$264,000.
_
The local bank will give us a no-money-down
construction loan, allowing us to conserve our
cash. Local costs are so low--low property taxes,
no tax on earned income--that USCF employees
will be able to afford to buy their own homes. I
thought that was important.
_
Local real estate should appreciate in value,
thanks to Crossville's strong and diversified
local economy and Crossville's high ranking in
national surveys of the best places to retire.
(The Cumberland Plateau has a nice climate
and there are lots of golf courses and attractive
housing developments.)
_
So we will be able to conserve our cash, while
placing our national operations in an attractive
and low-cost area, and growing a nice real-estate
asset that can be borrowed against (if necessary)
in the future." - Timothy Hanke (24 Oct 2004
12:17:34 -0700)
_
_
"The present move to Crossville may or may not
be the perfect move, but having been to Crossville
myself and having met the leaders of the
community--and the leaders of the Tennessee
chess community--I feel confident it is a good
move. I believe it is a good location for the USCF
office, and I believe we have a good chance to
prosper there. As a chessplayer, when I see a
move that gives me a clear win, I do not need
to continue searching.
_
In the case of Crossville, not one but *two*
consecutive boards have visited the place and
approved it. We have been given free prime land.
Favorable financing is lined up for our new building,
which will be a valuable asset to USCF when paid
off. While waiting to build, we have free rent and
utilities. The local chess community is strong and
supportive. The local government is strong and
supportive--we have met with the governor of
Tennessee and many other leaders on down.
_
It is true that fewer USCF staff than I expected
have agreed to move to Crossville. But we have
an excellent chief financial officer in place--Grant
Perks, who previously served as acting executive
director (or some similar title) in 2003. Mike Nolan
is advising us on technical matters, and we have
great confidence in his abilities and in his knowledge
of our needs. A respected local architect has already
presented us with an initial design for the new USCF
headquarters, which he is modifying according to our
input--especially with the skilled input of board
member Elizabeth Shaughnessy, who is an architect
herself. Glenn Petersen, former Chess Life editor and
former acting executive director, is helping oversee the
the transition from New York to Crossville. Beatriz
Marinello has agreed to serve as a volunteer chief
operating officer for six months--and as a board
member, she will not be eligible for a bonus when she
is done. We have some new staff already in place in
Crossville, and some current staff who have already
begun moving down to Crossville. While regretting the
loss of valuable staff in New York, we are confident we
will find good new staff in the Crossville area. So there
is much good in the present situation, and in my
opinion much good to look forward to." - Timothy
Hanke (Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:23:11 GMT)

Old May 15th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

HANKE STOPPED READING BLAIR

One cannot help but notice how Louie picks and chooses his quotes
when it suits his purposes. He quotes Hanke here but omits mentioning
their running dispute before Mr. Hanke got elected to the USCF board.

"Similarly, before I stopped reading his posts,
Louis Blair used to repeatedly "suggest" that I
was like a "new Nixon" or some such nonsense."
-- Tim Hanke, 7/3/03

Now it can be revealed that Louis Blair was on my
side all along. His job, which he performed excellently,
was to attack me daily with ridiculous accusations and
shallow arguments that no one would ever believe, drowning
out my genuine critics with his flood of white noise. -- Tim Hanke
7/17/03

Finally, here's what Louis Blair wrote about Tim Hanke on July 18,
2003:

Timothy Hanke fails to mention that he was soon attacking
me again, publicly, without specific justification. (Apparently,
he was disappointed that his offer to show me his game did
not change my opinions about Timothy Hanke's candidacy.)
Tim Hanke wrote (Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:26:04 -0400):
I have nothing against the guy. In short, this "feud" is the
moral equivalent of one hand clapping.

_
"... Louis Blair's thuggish worldview." - Timothy Hanke
(2002-11-23 15:17:24 PST)

"Hideous and intellectually malformed though he is"
- Timothy Hanke (2003-02-17 17:32:39 PST)

"Blair is a psycho ..." - Timothy Hanke (2003-03-28
09:55:05 PST)

"simpleton Louis Blair" - Timothy Hanke (2003-03-29
17:16:14 PST)

Old May 15th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Louis Blair

Larry Parr wrote (15 May 2006 02:26:59 -0700):

HANKE STOPPED READING BLAIR

_
(And also started reading me again.)

_
Larry Parr wrote (15 May 2006 02:26:59 -0700):

One cannot help but notice how Louie picks and
chooses his quotes when it suits his purposes. He
quotes Hanke here but omits mentioning their
running dispute before Mr. Hanke got elected to the
USCF board.

_
And Larry Parr "omits" some of what Timothy Hanke
wrote about Larry Parr:
_
"I just dropped in to get the latest gossip,
and I find Larry Parr peddling sensationalism
and disinformation as usual." - Timothy Hanke
(18 Nov 2004 07:58:19 -0800)
_
"Some people, such as George Mirijanian and
Larry Parr who are grown men and ought to
know better, continually defend Sam Sloan. In
fact, Sam Sloan is a pathological liar, and a
blight on the chess world. Mirijanian and Parr
should be ashamed." - Timothy Hanke (Sat,
27 Dec 2003 21:40:25 GMT)
_
A somewhat more serious omission is Larry Parr's
failure to mention his previous statement about
"parking space". (See the beginning of this note.)
I certainly had my disagreements with Timothy Hanke,
but he does not deserve to have his statements
misrepresented. If Larry Parr does this, it strikes me
as appropriate to produce the original Timothy Hanke
statements.