Old May 15th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Brock's True Confessions

BILL BROCK'S TRUE CONFESSIONS

Let's discuss what Bill Brock (politikalhack) wrote.

On March 4, 2006, Mr. Brock posted a response to Phil
Innes in what may be termed his True Confessions
letter, though in the absence of proof, we do not hold
Mr. Brock to the import of what he pounded out so
furiously on his keyboard any more than we hold Sam
Sloan to the import of what he posted.

Before we term someone a child molester, we need
proof. Mr. Brock, in his letter to Mr. Innes, blankly
terms Mr. Sloan "an admitted child molester," though
he provides no admissions by Mr. Sloan. We find that
kind of thing to be a smear.

Now, then, Mr. Brock wrote the following, which
we quote at some length (our comments appear in
brackets) so that he cannot charge that I have
quoted him out of context:

"The boundary between childhood and adulthood is
to some extent a social construct [a banal truism],
and the barrage of phone calls for my son tells me
something about the instinctual drives of 13-year-old
girls [if Sam Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would
be calling him a nosey Parker voyeur]. So I have a
bit of sympathy for the fallen Humbert Humberts of the
world [if Mr. Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would
accuse him of being soft on paedophilia]. Some of you
may remember the affair that caused a certain
controversy within the Missouri Chess Association
involving a 'consenting' minor [a chess official was
convicted for this-or-that after showing porn pictures
to a young boy]. In that case, the adult involved in
the act never presented his action as a mitvah [if Mr.
Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would accuse him of
mitigating the conduct of a paedophile].

"Jeepers, I have skeletons in my own closet.
However, I don't advertise my skeletons as trophies."

There you have it. The above two paragraphs
have no intervening material between them; the second
paragraph refers directly back to the first paragraph.
The following paragraph that followed veered off onto
another subject.

The question becomes: may we fairly read Mr.
Brock to be saying that he has sexual "skeletons"
(note the plural) in his own closet of the kind
involving showing porn literature to a young boy? In
short, can we fairly read Mr. Brock to be saying that
unlike the chap in Missouri who was convicted on a
single count of molestation, Mr. Brock is admitting to
committing several such acts? (By the way, having
several skeletons, by my way of thinking, makes the
skeletons worse by virtue of sheer number.)

So, then, we have Mr. Brock talking about a
Missouri chess official who is likened to a Humbert
Humbert, though said official did not bill his
transgressions as mitvahs. Next, we have Mr. Brock
clearly referencing such conduct by writing that he
has "skeletons" (once again, note the plural) in his
"own closet." And like that Missouri chess official,
Mr. Brock does not "advertise" his "skeletons" as "trophies."

If we were to judge Mr. Brock by the same
parsing standards that he would apply to Mr. Sloan, we
would have to conclude that Mr. Brock is, yes, "an
admitted child molester."

But we do not so judge Mr. Brock.

We assume that an emotional, semi-stable man,
who is without a gift for lucid expression, authored a
rhetorical flourish about himself without paying too
much attention to what he was writing, which is normal
Internet conduct.

We would require proof of Mr. Brock being a
child molester before taking his careless hooha
seriously. As for Mr. Sloan, he is a better and more
careful writer than Mr. Brock. He has never admitted
to being a child molester, though if he were to do so
a la Mr. Brock, we would have to take his avowal more
seriously precisely because he can think clearly and
has a gift for lucid, precise expression.

Old May 15th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Vince Hart

Perhaps if Larry really did not wish to be accused of quoting things
out of context, he would not have omitted all the references to Sloan
that Brock's post contained.

Old May 16th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

If we were to judge Mr. Brock by the same parsing standards that he
would apply to Mr. Sloan [...]

Is it parsing to note that on one web page Sloan refers to a Burmese
prostitute as being of junior high school age (in any reading but the
most tortured one) and on another web page claims to have had sexual
relations with her? (And is it parsing to note that Parr denied that
they were the same girl until evidence was offered, at which time Parr
went strangely silent on the facts?)

Is it parsing to note that Sloan mixes Pokémon porn, kid-friendly and
XXX links on his website?

Is it parsing to note that Sloan's website features a story about a man
having sex with a woman in her mid-thirties and two teenage girls? (Do
the math.)

Is it parsing to note that Sloan has offered an apologia for the
conduct of his former associate, the convicted child molester Jefferson
Poland, on Wikipedia?

Is it parsing to note that Sloan boasts of having deflowered teenaged
virgin prostitutes?

Is it parsing to note that Sloan narrates an account of having
digitally penetrated "young girl[s]"?

At the very least, Sloan wants us to believe that he's a child
molester.

It's OK for Larry "Thai soldiers on leave" Parr to endorse a child
molester--the association burnishes Parr's reputation.

;-)

Old May 16th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

BROCK'S NON-ANSWER

Bill Brock has no response to my analysis of
what he actually wrote in his True Confessions letter.
Instead, he barks a staccato series of steamed
rhetorical questions about what is or is not parsing.

We ask, then, whether it is parsing to take Mr.
Brock's own avowals at face value. Within the context
of carelessly written postings on the Internet, we
have already stated that we do not take Mr. Brock's
True Confessions at face value. If we did, we would
be forced to conclude that he is a serial child
molester -- based on what he himself confessed.

So, too, I do not take Sam Sloan's comments at
face value, though he has never forthrightly confessed
to child molestation as Mr. Brock did.

In a separate posting, I will once again examine
precisely what Mr. Brock wrote and whether one may
reasonably conclude that the man has "skeletons" (note
the plural) in his closet when it comes to corrupting
young boys with pornography.

Old May 16th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

In a separate posting, I will once again examine
precisely what Mr. Brock wrote and whether one may
reasonably conclude that the man has "skeletons" (note
the plural) in his closet when it comes to corrupting
young boys with pornography.

Please keep writing: I'm amused. Maybe you could work that into your
Crossville/Auschwitz essay? The Big Lie is a popular rhetorical
technique these days :-)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...133381f0c0a6df

Strangely, Larry Parr has yet to admit to reading "[his] man" Sam
Sloan's Pokémon porn pages or Sloan's apologia for the convicted /
admitted child molester Jefferson Poland on Wikipedia.

Three essay questions for Parr (of the non-rhetorical variety):

1. Would you address the substantive issues raised in
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...355bc844e186/#
?

2. Would you end your strange silence on Sam Sloan's defense of
Jefferson Poland? Is your need to invent nonexistent and
unsubstantiated charges against me related to your need to change the
subject? (hmm, that's two questions)

3. Why didn't you ever respond to this post, which is at the heart of
the child molestation charge against Sloan? Were you to refute this
piece of evidence, that would be a powerful defense of your friend.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...0ba20738c47096

Old May 16th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

WHAT BILL BROCK WROTE

By Larry Parr

Readers of this forum are aware that Bill Brock
accuses Sam Sloan daily of being a child molester,
though never offering any proof. None. If he had
anything solid, he would go to the authorities instead
of smear Sam so relentlessly.

Instead, Mr. Brock has taken to asking whether
this writer approves of Mr. Sloan's conduct. Several
times we have said that we do not, though we will not
condemn Sam for this thing called "child molestation"
without proof, which is never forthcoming.

Mr. Brock's technique right now is to scour Sam's
webpage for comments about how the latter has had sex
with young prostitutes or fingered young girls -- all
of indeterminate age. In response, we have noted that
nothing is being said about Mr. Sloan that would not
be said about U.S. Marines and our servicemen or our
"boys" (or those "Thai soldiers on leave"). The
single difference appears to be that Sam's behavior is
less violent and more decent than your average
American or Thai soldier on R&R.

And, yes, Mr. Brock still presents no proof that
Sam is a child molester, though he repeats the charge
ad nauseum like a liturgical chant of faith.

MR. BROCK'S "SKELETONS"

We have noted that Internet self-revelatory effusions
ought to be taken with a grain of salt without proof
that the claims are true. That is because many people
typically write quickly on the Internet and don't express
accurately. They frequently write things they do not mean
to assert.

A Louie Blair, for example, is either gnorant of or has a
poor command of the subjunctive mood and tense progression.
He has asked questions that did not say what he imagined
they were saying.

So, too, Bill Brock has written a claim about
himself that we do NOT regard as probative unless
proof is forthcoming that what he has said about
himself happens to be true.

Once again, in a response to Phil Innes of March
4, 2006, Mr. Brock wrote about having "skeletons"
(note the plural) in his closet directly after
referencing a case in which a Missouri chess official
showed sexual material to a young boy, presumably of a
homosexual nature. If Mr. Brock is writing truthfully
about himself -- if he actually meant what he wrote --
then we must conclude he has committed some very, very
ugly acts indeed.

The good news is that given Mr. Brock's
emotional condition and limited capacity for
expression, we assume that the man was bloviating
fecklessly at the keyboard.

What follows are two complete paragraphs and a
portion of a third from Mr. Brock's message to Mr.
Innes. In the first paragraph, Mr. Brock goes on
about his sympathy for Humbert Humberts, ending the
paragraph by referencing the aforementioned Missouri
chess official.

The second paragraph is two short declarative sentences --
"Jeepers, I have skeletons in my own closet. However, I don't
advertise my skeletons as trophies." -- in which Mr. Brock sums up
his own history, clearly referencing the preceding paragraph.

I then quote enough of a a third paragraph to show that his
"skeletons" allusion had to refer to antecedents in the previous
paragraph. Here, then, is Mr. Brock's written avowal (comments in
brackets are by me):

"The boundary between childhood and adulthood is
to some extent a social construct [a banal truism],
and the barrage of phone calls for my son tells me
something about the instinctual drives of 13-year-old
girls [if Sam Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would
be calling him a nosey Parker voyeur]. So I have a
bit of sympathy for the fallen Humbert Humberts of the
world [if Mr. Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would
accuse him of being soft on paedophilia]. Some of you
may remember the affair that caused a certain
controversy within the Missouri Chess Association
involving a 'consenting' minor [a chess official was
convicted of this-or-that after showing porn pictures
to a young boy]. In that case, the adult involved in
the act never presented his action as a mitzvah [if
Mr. Sloan had written thus, Mr. Brock would accuse him
of mitigating the conduct of a paedophile].

"Jeepers, I have skeletons in my own closet.
However, I don't advertise my skeletons as trophies.

"If I have made statements that are factually
incorrect and remain uncorrected, Sloan has legal
recourse. I have invited, and again invite, Sloan to
sue me if he feels this course of action is
appropriate. I invite his advocates to loan him money
to sue me."

So, then, Mr. Brock began his first paragraph
with a generalized comment about childhood and
adulthood; he then expresses "a bit of sympathy" for
those who Humbert Humbertize in various ways; and he
concludes the paragraph with a specific instance, a
chess official showing what were apparently homosexual
photographs to a young boy. In the next paragraph he
tells us about "skeletons" (note the plural) in his
own closet, clearly referencing the antecedent
paragraph containing Humbert Humbertism and
molestation of a young boy.

Is it fair to read Mr. Brock as saying that he
himself has committed lascivious acts involving young
girls and young boys on several occasions (those
plural "skeletons" in the man's pantry)?

The answer is that such a reading is fair
enough. What is unfair is to make much of such a
confession by Mr. Brock. Most of us figure the poor
guy got carried away at his keyboard, and his
apparently damaging avowal in the second paragraph was
actually a rhetorical device to tell readers that he
is not an old Blairian blue nose who talks
hypocritical cant. He was probably trying to tell us
via intellectual shorthand that although he is
broadminded, as it were, he still cannot countenance
the activities of a Sam Sloan.

Something like that.

But what Mr.Brock actually wrote was an implied
confession that he has on several occasions either
molested young girls or young boys.

We absolve the man because we figure he never
meant to write as he did. We note that Sam Sloan,
although never penning anything as damaging about his
personal behavior as that written by Mr. Brock about
his own behavior, ought to be granted the same benefit
of the doubt that we accord to Mr. Brock.

Old May 16th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

Default Brock's True Confessions - He Doesn't Like Child Molesters

Larry baby, you're odging-day the estions-quay!

If you can't stand the heat....

Old May 16th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Vince Hart

Oh goody! Its the soldiers on leave defense again. What army was Sam
in?

Can we get another couple verses of Sam was only flirting?

Old May 16th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

I HAVE NO QUESTIONS TO ANSWER

Larry baby, you're odging-day the estions-quay! -- Bill Brock,

The issue between this writer and Bill Brock is
singular: proof of Sam Sloan molesting children. As
yet, no proof has been provided. I have no questions
to answer.

How refreshing, though, were Mr. Brock to
acknowledge his own True Confessions message to Phil
Innes and to thank this writer for NOT drawing the
same kinds of conclusions based on what Mr. Brock
wrote that Mr. Brock tends to draw from far less
inculpating statements by Mr. Sloan.