Old May 15th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

The World Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress will be held in Turin,
Italy May 20 to June 4, 2006.

In years past, I have regularly attended these events, usually writing
newspaper and magazine articles which were published in the local
press.

Always in the past, I have paid my own way, completely with my own
money.

However, this year, with a wife and baby to support, I simply cannot
come up with the money to pay for the trip.

I figure I can do it with $2,000 for my round trip air fare and two
weeks in the El Cheapo Hotel plus meals.

I make no secret: I am a strong supporter of Bessel Kok for FIDE
President and I will campaign as hard as I can for him which I am
there, plus I will post daily reports on the Internet.

It is disturbing that the USCF is sending a delegation to Torino which
includes a chess politician who, it has just been revealed, is
campaigning for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. Previously, I had thought that the
USA delegation was solidly behind Bessel Kok.

These USCF delegates are, in most cases, having their expanses paid
for by the USCF. I usually never ask for money, but in this case I
have no choice as I feel that I really need to be there, as the entire
future of chess will be determined by the events in Italy over the
next two weeks.

If anybody is willing and able to help me get to Italy for the FIDE
Congress, please call or write me at the following address:

Sam Sloan
1664 Davidson Avenue, Apt. 1B
Bronx, NY 10453

Tel. 1-917-507-7226

If I can get $2000 in pledges I will go. Also, I am accepting
contributions at http://www.paypal.com

Old May 15th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Stan Booz

Sam Sloan should be banned from chess.

Old May 15th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Jason \(the grim\) Repa

And why is that?

"Stan Booz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sam Sloan should be banned from chess.

Old May 15th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Nick

Sam Sloan wrote:
Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

The World Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress will be held
in Turin, Italy May 20 to June 4, 2006.

In years past, I have regularly attended these events, usually writing
newspaper and magazine articles which were published in the local
press.

Always in the past, I have paid my own way, completely with my own
money.

However, this year, with a wife and baby to support, I simply cannot
come up with the money to pay for the trip.

I figure I can do it with $2,000 for my round trip air fare and two
weeks in the El Cheapo Hotel plus meals.

I make no secret: I am a strong supporter of Bessel Kok for FIDE
President and I will campaign as hard as I can for him which I am
there, plus I will post daily reports on the Internet.

With such a conspicuous 'strong supporter' as Sam Sloan,
how could Bessel Kok possibly lose the FIDE election?
Perhaps Kirsan Ilyumzhinov should consider financing
Sam Sloan's 'trip to Italy'. :-)

--Nick

Old May 15th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Taylor Kingston

Sam Sloan wrote:
Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

The World Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress will be held in Turin,
Italy May 20 to June 4, 2006.

Back around 1968 I was doing a study of Pentecostal preachers and
faith healers for a sociology class. In addition to attending their
revival meetings, I listened to several regularly on the radio. One was
a fire-and-brimstone guy from Gulfport, Mississipi. The Vietnam War was
raging, the Cold War was heating up, and this guy figured he had the
cu all he had to do was travel around the world, meet with all the
important leaders, and preach 'em the Gospel. They'd get religion, turn
from their wicked ways, and we'd have world peace -- IF ONLY people
would send in enough contributions to finance his trip!

I betcha Sam listened to that same guy!

Old May 15th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Ken Jones

Taylor Kingston wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:
Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

The World Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress will be held in Turin,
Italy May 20 to June 4, 2006.

Back around 1968 I was doing a study of Pentecostal preachers and
faith healers for a sociology class. In addition to attending their
revival meetings, I listened to several regularly on the radio. One was
a fire-and-brimstone guy from Gulfport, Mississipi. The Vietnam War was
raging, the Cold War was heating up, and this guy figured he had the
cu all he had to do was travel around the world, meet with all the
important leaders, and preach 'em the Gospel. They'd get religion, turn
from their wicked ways, and we'd have world peace -- IF ONLY people
would send in enough contributions to finance his trip!

I betcha Sam listened to that same guy!

Let he who is without sin cast the first Sloan!

Old May 16th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
The Historian

Default Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Cleveland?

Sam Sloan wrote:
Would anybody be willing to help finance my trip to Italy?

Or better yet, give 2K to a hard-working Historian. That should easily
cover a week or ten days at the White Collection.

Old May 18th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
DB Rea

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:18:16 GMT, Sam Sloan wrote:

[...]

Perhaps if you promised to stay there forever your pitch might be more
successful.

Old May 19th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Didactic

"John J." Perhaps if you promised to stay there forever your pitch
might be more
successful.

If Kirsan really wants to hurt Besel Kok, he would pay Sam's airfare to
Italy. Nobody could hurt Besel Kok more than Sam Sloan's support!