Old May 18th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Letter from Beatriz Marinello on Kirsan website

http://www.chessfidelity.com/elections.php?txt_id=184

Scandal in the US Chess Federation!
The letter of Beatriz Marinello.

Today we are publishing a letter sent by Beatriz Marinello (USCF
Executive Board Member, USCF Past President and General Secretary de
FIDE Ame'ricas). The facts that one can learn from this letter about
the campaigning methods of those supporting the other team, are
shocking for the whole Chess community. The author reveals how the
democratic idea of elections can be turned into persecution and
personal attacks.

May 12, 2006

My friends:

I am sorry to have to report disturbing news regarding the recent
actions of the United States Chess Federation Executive Board
regarding the upcoming FIDE Presidential elections.

That Board, of which I am a member, voted early to support the
candidacy of Bessel Kok for FIDE President. That is the right of the
national federation. But things took an ugly turn recently.

My position has always been that FIDE's motto, gens una sumus, we are
one family, should guide us in our promotion of the game we all love.
Following that principle, I recently stated that no matter who won the
FIDE presidential election, I would work with them for the betterment
of chess.

That statement did not sit well with the more fanatical Kok supporters
on the U.S. Chess Federation, who demanded that I retract it. Unless I
did so, they threatened punitive actions.

The President of the board submitted the following motion:

06-064 ?\ Goichberg ?\ Whereas:

1. The USCF Executive Board unanimously endorsed the candidacy of
Bessel Kok for FIDE President, and we feel that his election is very
important for the promotion of chess in the USA and the world.

2. The Executive Board subsequently, at its February meeting, endorsed
the candidacy of Beatriz Marinello for FIDE General Secretary of the
Americas.

3. Beatriz Marinello had voted for the Board endorsement of Bessel
Kok. However, on April 4, she wrote to the Board about the FIDE
election, "I will remain neutral and willing to work with the
administration that wins." On April 6, she wrote, "I view my position
as someone who is acting in the best interest of the organization.
Maintaining a neutral position, in my opinion does not affect the
votes of other federations." On April 9 she wrote, "I do not believe
that the USCF position is to obligate people to actively campaign for
a particular candidate."

4. USCF policy, as recently reaffirmed by the Executive Board, is that
our FIDE representatives are required to support USCF positions on
FIDE issues.

5. We believe that in a democracy, supporting the best qualified
candidate in an election is appropriate and does not constitute a
refusal or inability to work with a different candidate, should the
one we are supporting fail to be elected.

6. We believe that to have a USCF representative advocating a neutral
position in discussions with representatives of other federations will
undermine our support for the candidacy of Bessel Kok.

Therefore, we ask Beatriz Marinello to consider accepting one of the
following two positions:

A) She agrees to affirmatively advocate the candidacy of Bessel Kok,
to the best of her ability, in any election discussions she may have
with the representatives of other federations.

B) She withdraws her offer to represent USCF at the upcoming Turin
FIDE meeting and her candidacy for General Secretary of the Americas.
In the event she chooses not to attend these meetings, USCF will
reimburse her for any nonrefundable travel expenses.

If Beatriz does not endorse one of these positions within three days
of the passage of this motion, the USCF endorsement of her candidacy
for General Secretary of the Americas is hereby rescinded, and FIDE
shall be notified that we oppose her nomination.

After extensive discussion the motion PASSED 3-0-2 with Beatriz
Marinello and Robert Tanner abstaining.

During the discussion Joel Channing, one of the members of the board
called me a "piece of crap" and he compared me with North Korea,
because I said that I will not change my position.

Lately in other Internet postings Mr. Schultz, another board member
said as following:

"why is the press so silent and seemingly indifferent on the FIDE
elections? Why no words on the Israeli Chess Federation's endorsement
of Ilyumzhinov, a man who is a friend of Saddam Hussein, who in turn
launched missles (correction "missiles") against Israel and is also
responsible for the deaths of many Americans ?\ Don Schultz "

I am deeply offended by the personal attacks, and the fanatical and
irrational comments made by my fellow board members. These statements
speak for themselves. Please do not think that this mentality reflects
the thinking of the USCF members, these are comments coming from
fanatic extremists who do not understand world politics nor are
willing to engage in a democratic and clean campaigning to advance
their political agendas. Furthermore, If the USCF Executive Board
moves forward to cancel my nomination as General Secretary of FIDE
Americas, I will appeal this decision to the General Assembly.

Yours for Chess,

Old May 18th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Stan Booz

This proves that she was smart enough to make the best deal with Kirsan
for herself. That's one smart lady.

Old May 18th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Sammy Lou

"Stan Booz" This proves that she was smart enough to make the best deal
with Kirsan for herself. That's one smart lady.

rug-munching back-stabber

Old May 18th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Stan Booz

The girl has the right to fight for her right. She can't expect
Goichberg, Channing and Schultz to give her the best deal, can she? By
jumping ship, she'll have the best position she can hope for. It's a
smart move!