Old May 18th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
chessdon

Default MY OPEN LETTER ON FIDE ELECTION

FIDE ELECTION - My OPEN LETTER

AN OPEN LETTER

Dear Chess Friends,

As someone involved in FIDE governance for over 30 years I would like
to pass along some observations regarding the recent election-related
open letters of Ignatius Leong, Bessel Kok, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and
Beatriz Marinello.

IMO, the proposal of Ignatius Leong was a sincere and honest attempt to
bring harmony within FIDE.

Bessel Kok's rejection showed honor and character towards his team.
Bessel would become the President of FIDE had he accepted ignatius'
proposal. Clearly, he never gave a second thought to accepting self
gain by sacrificing others. He adhered to the principles for change he
has so well articulated in his campaign.

When I read Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's acceptance, it showed to me a man who
places his personal interests above all else. Did he ask his team
members to make the sacrifice? If not, that was not an honorable
response. If he truly felt Ignatius' plan was in the best interest of
FIDE and chess, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov should have sacrificed himself to
achieve that end.

When I read Beatriz Marinello's Open letter on Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's
campaign site, I saw a FIDE President pouring fuel on a dispute within
one of FIDE's member nations. Did Beatriz authorize him to use her
letter? Yes, it was an open letter but a FIDE President with character
would have sought to heal the differences in the member federation not
use them for an election campaign in which he is already claiming
victory.

At Turin, FIDE has a chance to select a very highly qualified candidate
who places the interests of FIDE and world chess above his own
self-interests. I urge all federations to vote for the man whom they
believe best fits that description.

Don Schultz

Old May 18th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Stan Booz

Ilyumzhinov is the best man for the job. He has the full support from
Beatriz and she'll be handsomely rewarded.