Old May 18th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Waiting for Hoffman

"YOU DANCE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO BRUNG YA"

I am convinced the only reason this poll is even close is because
Neil Brennen and his cohorts are voting early and often. This straw
vote is certainly not legitimate. The real reason the USCF won't
conduct a scientific poll is not lack of money, as Mike Nolan
suggested. It's because the leadership prefers to donate $50,000 to
one of its buddies without caring what members prefer to see printed in
Chess Life.

In a recent message to the (Chess Journalists of America) Paul
Hoffman wondered why a "mainstream journalist" like himself should join
the CJA. Then Mr. Hoffman scorned an offer to be interviewed by Larry
Evans after his chief supporter Neil Brennen advised him to ignore
questions coming from "hacks" like GM Evans and Larry Parr. GM Evans in
turn called Mr. Brennen "an equal opportunity hater." Subsuquently Mr.
Brennen asked to have his name removed from the email list.

CHESSTOURS TO HOFFMAN

Dear Mr. Hoffman,

Neil Brennen has been attacking Larry Evans and Larry Parr for
years on rec.games.chess.politics. His use of the word "hack" tells us
all that we need to know about Mr. Brennen.

GM Larry Evans asked us to relay an offer to interview you.

If you are interested, please let us know.

For your information, Chesstours is the syndicate that distributes
Larry Evans' newspaper column. Our staff handles e-mail.

Here are just a few sample questions:

1. Why was there no open bid for the 50,000 edesign?

2. Why were you given 10K up front without any written report?

3. On what basis did you make your recommendations? Did
you consult any past reader surveys of Chess Life readers?

4. Do you think you know more about chess or what is needed
in Chess Life than any of the three grandmasters you fired?

5. Since secrecy has plagued the USCF for decades, do you
think that your attitude helps dispel ugly chess politics?

As the old saying goes, "You dance with the people who brung ya."

NEIL BRENNEN TO CJA GROUP

In a message dated 5/13/2006 11:59:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

Mr. Hoffman,

I suggest ignoring the emails from chesstours, AKA Larry Evans. He
forgot - if that is truly the word - to identify himself..

Best wishes to all except one [GM Evans].

HOFFMAN DECLINES TO BE INTERVIEWED

In a message dated 5/13/2006 10:41:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

Thank you, Neil. I appreciate the heads-up. As a newbie to the nasty
world of chess poltics, I'm liable to fall for opening traps that
everyone else knows! At least if this correspondence is posted, it's
actually my own words, as opposed to all the false things that have
been attributed to me and "credentials" that have been posted that
aren't mine but other Hoffman's

In any event, with due respect to all of you, I think it is time that I
bow out of this thread and return to the work the USCF has asked me to
do.

I have prepared no written reports. I am not going to discuss
personnel matters like who writes for the magazine and who doesn't
because that it not an appropriate subject for a public forum. I'm
trying to use my twenty-five-year experience in magazines to help the
USCF publish a more engaging magazine that will attract new members and
better retain existing ones. And I'm trying to avoid being embroiled
in the ugly petty politics of chess that have doomed many
well-intentioned efforts in the past. I'm just a consultant. I give
the USCF advice and implement ideas they want me to implement.

--Paul Hoffman

GM RAYMOND KEENE TO CJA GROUP

Dues money of USCF members in a non-profit are being used to pay for
this redesign. Are your non-answers more of what we can expect from you
and the board who have not responded to anything about this matter? --
Chesstours

No reply yet to Larry Evans' request to interview Paul Hoffman.

What do you expect?

This guy will never be able to convincingly explain how a magazine
can abolish one of its most popular reader-interacitve sections! This
kind of feature is what keeps my chess coverage in the Times of London
more popular than any other newspaper column in the UK.

Old May 18th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

writes:

[...]

I must say that neither Larry Parr or Evans could really be called
"nasty".

What I have read of Evans is straightfoward chess and comments. I
certainly cannot recall reading any of his writings that were attacking
to individuals, especially in a nasty way.

The only negatives I would say are two. Awhile back, I posted a
statement on this forum and Chesstours converted my statement into a
question for Larry in Chess Life. He commented on the issue at hand
and that was that. I certainly did not seek to be in his column,
although when Chesstours sent me an email asking if they could use my
comments I agreed. I did not realize that they would use the comment
as a question in Chess Life though. I was not and am not angry over
this, just amused.

The second negative observation that I have is that Evans' column does
seem to be extremely redundant in discussing Fischer, on and on.
However, that is my personal opinion and I can understand the
motivation that there are many that have not seen it before. I can
understand this even though I disagree with it. I must repeat though
that my impression of GM Evans is that he is sharp and honest, not
nasty or negative.

As for Larry Parr, the only thing I know is that his writings are very
pedantic. His style of prose is convoluted to say the least. I don't
see nastiness or meanness though. In my opinion, if he were to have
discourse with someone like Mr. Hoffman, the worst I see from Larry
would be very sharp and cutting questions and comments. That is not
necessarily a bad thing for an interviewer though.

Larry is certainly opinionated on the wrongness of drug testing. I
don't know many fellows that are proponents of that issue though. I
know that this is why he is presently not a due paying member of the
USCF as he has stated such on this forum not too long ago. I certainly
can respect him on this too.

While there are some points that I disagree with Mr. Parr on, I
certainly do not find him to be nasty or mean either. I must say that
if I had a chance to sit and chat with either Mr. Parr or GM Evans, I
would look forward to the conversation with either. I see both as
"good guys" in the metaphor of chess as life.

I stand for what I think is right, not what any "side" believes. While
I find Phil Innes and his comments and actions disingenuous at the
least, I can certainly separate the individuals and agree with Mr. Parr
and GM Evans on this point.

Ron Suarez

Old May 18th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
jr

And how many times have you voted against renewing Evans
On Chess, Mr. Kingston? Or is it Niemand, Xylothist and Paulie
Graf, among others?

Old May 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

jr wrote:
And how many times have you voted against renewing Evans
On Chess, Mr. Kingston?

The same number of times you lied about Richard Laurie, and one time
more than you have acknowledged here what a fool you looked like when
you were caught out.

Old May 19th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

KINGSTON ACKNOWLEDGES MULTIPLE VOTING

jr wrote:
And how many times have you voted against renewing Evans
On Chess, Mr. Kingston?

The same number of times you lied about Richard Laurie, and one time
more than you have acknowledged here what a fool you looked like when
you were caught out. -- Taylor Kingston

Thus, in his own inimitable fashion, our 2300+ Elo dynamo
confirms that he has cast more than one vote against GM Evans.
How many more is anyone's guess.

Of course I can't prove it, but my estimate is that the ratpacker
trio of Blair, Brennen and Kingston have cast about 2/3 of the no
votes.
Perhaps Phil Innes' webmaster at chessville.com can confirm my guess.

Old May 19th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
jr

*What a load of crap, Larry. I voted once -- that's all one's allowed
in a properly run election.* (Kingston)

This is NOT a properly run election. It's a flawed
straw poll where anyone can vote early and often
using a different screen name.

Parr suspects the ratpackers cast about 2/3 of the
no votes. He's an optimist!

Someone sure is loading a lot of crap on this forum,
and most of us know who it is. Keep spewing more hatred
for Evans, Keene, Schiller, and your other distinct betters
at chess, Mr. Kingston. You're just a mediocrity with a big
mouth and a fat chess library.

I paid my USCF dues longer than I care to remember, but
it's expiring at the end of the year. I won't renew so long as
the current gang retains power.

The funny thing is Kingston admits he's not even a member.
So why does he care about Chess Life? What's his agenda?

Methinks he would like his pal Edward Winter, who is a
patzer, to take over the Q&A column in Chess Life instead
of America's most prominent living (sane) grandmaster
whose honorable career spans over half a century with
name recognition reaching all four corners of the globe.

In addition to capturing the U.S. Championship five times,
Evans was a mainstay on several of our Olympic teams,
including a crew that won America's only postwar gold medal
in 1976.

What have you done for chess, Kingston, except whine
here endlessly about four missing words in Chess Life that
turned out to be insignifcant when they were finally revealed?

Old May 19th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

A FASCINATING PHENOMENON

The multiple voting in the Evans poll by Taylor
Kingston and other Winterian ratpackers is a
fascinating phenomenon. GM Larry Evans must
have done something very right indeed to have
earned such hatred from such people.

NM Kingston, who claimed to be 2300+ ELO
even though 1800-rated, has told us he is a man
with "standards." That is his assertion. Not mine.

We have repeatedly inquired whether his posting
in praise of himself under the names of Xylothist and
Paulie Graf, among others, comported with his vaunted
"standards." Do these "standards" include creating
non-persons to sustain an argument that his ego can
no longer endure under his own name?

We remain ready to discuss point by point with
NM Kingston the treatment of subjects Soviet in the
first edition of the Oxford Companion To Chess. We fully
understand that he will never respond except to quote
generalized praise of the volume.