Old May 19th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Straw Poll - Bedding for an Old Cow

I just checked the latest at the Chessville Straw Poll.

With 213 votes in, the Yes vote to keep the Larry Evans column is
losing by 2 votes with 9 people voting to abstain on the vote.

Those that feel the column should be kept, Phil Innes and jr, keep
making accusations that their arch nemeses are padding the vote on this
poll in opposition of the columns retention. The opposing side also
has claimed that the pro-column people have done the same. The reality
is that anyone and either side have equal opportunities and motives to
cheat the poll. Let's assume that both sides' padding counteract each
other, and their effect is nil.

While I have openly debated with Phil and the cowardly jr, I personally
am quite ambivalent on the matter. I like GM Evans and do enjoy
reading most of his column. I like reading a good portion of his
writings.

Sure, there are some things that I tire of and I can certainly
understand the editor's decision to cut the column as part of his
makeover of the magazine. One of the areas of the magazine that I have
heard people complain of is this column. I have also read and heard
many complain of the poor chess quality, too.

With the vote so close, I think we can claim the poll to be a
statistical draw.

The decision has already been made and we now await this new product of
a magazine. I hope that it is as good as those that have seen the
previews say. If not, I hope that no bridges have been burned and
repairs can be made.

We will see as the game unfolds.

Ron Suarez