Old May 19th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Best Sicilian to play

Hi,

I want to learn to play the Sicilian. But I don't know which variation
I should choose.

Can you please recommend which one is strongest one to learn ?

Old May 19th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Taimanov and Kan variations.
==========
Old Haasie

Old May 19th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Alan OBrien

"Zero" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I want to learn to play the Sicilian. But I don't know which variation
I should choose.

Can you please recommend which one is strongest one to learn ?

If you have a good memory then The Polugaevsky is a good one to learn. It
may unsettle quite a few opponents.

Old May 19th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Rather than study one Sicilain variation, maybe best to first study
thematic ideas in the Sicilian.

Check out Polugaevsky's "The Sicilian Labyrinth"; you'll then be able
to choose a variation that fits your personal style.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/008...lance&n=283155
(this is vol. 1 of a 2-vol set)

You also might enjoy Sam Collins's Understanding the Chess Openings
(best to read this before Polugaevsky, perhaps--it's pitched at a lower
level)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...lance&n=283155

Old May 19th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

wrote in message
s.com...
Rather than study one Sicilain variation, maybe best to first study
thematic ideas in the Sicilian.

I agree with Larry Tapper.

Check out Polugaevsky's "The Sicilian Labyrinth"; you'll then be able
to choose a variation that fits your personal style.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/008...lance&n=283155
(this is vol. 1 of a 2-vol set)

You also might enjoy Sam Collins's Understanding the Chess Openings
(best to read this before Polugaevsky, perhaps--it's pitched at a lower
level)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...lance&n=283155

Another title is Tactics in the Chess Opening 1 - Sicilian Defence, by AC
van der Tak and Friso Nijboer. publ by New in Chess isbn 9056911120 which
cover the following variations:

Najdorf, Dragon, Scheveningen, Sozin & Velimirovic, Rauzer, Sveshnikov
['Pelikan'], Taimanov & Paulsen, 4 Knights & Pin, Accelerated Fianchetto,
Rossolimo, Alapin, Various Other.

If you like the pattern of one of these buy an entire book on it. I would
also suggest that you won't know where to really study unless you try
playing with any variation - therefore deploying a few likely candidates for
future study in your games may be the best guide.

Phil Innes

Old May 23rd 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Martin S

My problem with the sicilian is that I hate all the off-beat variations
white plays. I'd like to play the Svesh but if white deviates before that,
I constantly get crap positions.

Martin S