Old May 21st 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Why should I play chess???

I went to a chess club again this week. I just don't understand why
some players spend time playing in tournaments, reading books, playing
online, and studying positions/games, etc.

What will I gain by playing chess? Will it make me more intelligent or
improve my memory?? I once read that people who practice mental
activities will help prevent alzheimer's disease. I think this is the
disease that causes people to forget things.

There were a lot of kids there too. Does it help develop their young
minds??

The game just seems geeky in nature. But there must be benefits.
Please let me know. Thanks.

Old May 21st 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
samsloan

You play chess to meet hot dykes like Marinello, Shahade, Crotto and
Savereide.

Old May 21st 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2006-05-21, Zero wrote:
I went to a chess club again this week. I just don't understand why
some players spend time playing in tournaments, reading books, playing
online, and studying positions/games, etc.

What will I gain by playing chess? Will it make me more intelligent or
improve my memory?? I once read that people who practice mental
activities will help prevent alzheimer's disease. I think this is the
disease that causes people to forget things.

If that's the way you feel, then obviously the answer is, No, you
shouldn't play chess.

There were a lot of kids there too. Does it help develop their young
minds??

There are those who claim it encourages logical thought.

The game just seems geeky in nature. But there must be benefits.
Please let me know. Thanks.

Why do I play chess? For:
the challenge
the beauty of the game
for the prize money (I wish!)
for a pint of beer (more realistic)
etc....

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org
Author:
Old May 21st 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

I don't think any chess player really knows why he/she plays the game.
It really is a waste of time, one gains nothing from it, and it won't
hurt you to quit the game entirely.

Old Haasie

Old May 21st 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Sanny

Play Online and see how good you are at Chess. Play with Beginner level
if you are weak else play with Easy/ Normal levels.

http://www.softtanks.com/chessgame/Chess.html

If you win big levels you have great brains else you are stupid. I
believe Chess is played to proove you are intelligent than others. And
when you get into competition you improve yourself and it is the lust
of winning that force you to learn Chess.

Bye
Sanny

http://www.softtanks.com/chessgame/Chess.html

Old May 21st 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Alan OBrien

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think any chess player really knows why he/she plays the game.
It really is a waste of time, one gains nothing from it, and it won't
hurt you to quit the game entirely.

I believe it can slow the rate of decay of brain cells.

Old May 21st 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Wilma

First of all, it's fun.
Beyond that, practice at handling problems increases the permanency of
how you handle problems outside of chess. )Practice makes perfect is
incorrect. Practice makes more nearly permanent the way you solve
problems). For example, do you get mad, hate yourself, give up
immediately, and the like, or do you force yourself to think and see if
there's a solution? Have you seen something like it before that you can
use here? For example, your opponent tends to succumb to a K-side
pawnroller. Let him have it. heh.

All that makes up problem solving can probably be improved by playing
chess and learning to solve problems encountered in chess situations.

Maybe a problem solving attitude will be generalized beyond chess. That
may be part of the reason men are better at this game than women. Men
tend to solve problems. They're from Mars, you see. Women think on too
many levels to solve the proble. We're from Venus, doncha know.

Wilma

"Zero" wrote in news:1148182430.692664.303340
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Old May 21st 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

See WHY IS PLAY CHESS by GM Larry Evans on 5/8/06

http://wcn.tentonhammer.com/modules....icle&sid= 711

Old May 21st 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Tom Martinak

I just don't understand why some players spend
time playing in tournaments, reading books,
playing online, and studying positions/games, etc.

Tarrasch said that "chess, like love, like music, has the power to
make men happy."

- Tom Martinak

Old May 21st 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
DDEckerslyke

Should or shouldn't!?!?
Do you always have to be told what to do?
If you enjoy it play it. If you don't don't.

And forget all the utilitarian crap about chess improves concentration
levels etc. If that's why you play then you have my sympathy.

Chess rocks.

cheers

dd