Old May 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

Default Open letter on Fide Election, Bill Goichberg

Poster: Phil Innes

-------
This email was sent May 21 to the Ilyumzhinov campaign.

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2006...nman-bill.html

http://www.uschess.org/forums/viewto...4b412 781b4f9

To ChessFidelity:

The United States Chess Federation strongly objects to unethical campaigning
and interference in its internal affairs by the campaign of FIDE President
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

USCF has five Executive Board members who manage the affairs of the
Federation between annual meetings of the Board of Delegates. They are as
follows:

Bill Goichberg, President

Don Schultz, Vice President

Joel Channing, Vice President for Finance

Robert Tanner, Secretary

Beatriz Marinello, Member at Large

On Jan. 31, 2006, our Executive Board, including Beatriz Marinello, voted
unanimously to endorse the candidacy of Bessel Kok for FIDE President.

On May 12, 2006, Beatriz Marinello posted an "open letter" on the Internet.
In this post she said, "I recently stated that no matter who won the FIDE
presidential election, I would work with them for the betterment of chess.
That statement did not sit well with the more fanatical Kok supporters on
the U.S. Chess Federation, who demanded that I retract it. Unless I did so,
they threatened punitive actions."

The USCF Executive Board considers the above claim by Beatriz Marinello to
be grossly incorrect. No member of our Board has ever objected to working
with the winner of the FIDE election and indeed, when Beatriz Marinello
expressed concern about this in Board discussion, the only opinions
expressed by other Board members on this topic were that we will work with
the winner of the FIDE election.

About May 17, the campaign website of FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov,
chessfidelity.com, posted the open letter by Beatriz Marinello, adding a
headline, "Scandal in the US Chess Federation." For the President of FIDE to
declare that a scandal exists in a member federation is inappropriate to
begin with, and to do so based on a statement by one member of a five person
Executive Board, without considering or reporting the views of the entire
Board, is truly outrageous.

The United States Chess Federation requests that chessfidelity.com post a
retraction of its "Scandal in the US Chess Federation" post. This retraction
should include the following points:

1. Beatriz Marinello is one member of the five person USCF Executive Board,
and all other members of the Board believe that her "open letter" is
substantially inaccurate.

2. It is inappropriate for the President of FIDE or his representatives to
take sides in an internal dispute of a member federation.

3. There is no evidence of a scandal in the US Chess Federation, and
chessfidelity apologizes for suggesting otherwise. Bill Goichberg President,
US Chess Federation.