Old May 26th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Why Wayne Praeder is wrong about Term Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPraeder
We appreciate their long standing service but I
agree it's time for the people who have been controlling the USCF to
go to make room for some new blood. Perhaps the delegates should
reconsider implementing the idea that board members be restricted to
only two total terms in office. For information on the concept of term
limits see: http://charitychannel.com/publish/templates/?a=279&z=19

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
What Wayne Praeder proposes is exactly the opposite of what we need.

What we need is a way to induce the good board members who served in
the past to come back and run again.

We had some excellent board members back in the late 1980s and early
1990s, men like Fred Gruenberg, John Donaldson and Jerry Hanken.

When they were on the board, the USCF was profitable. It was during
their terms of service that the USCF built up the $2 million dollars
in the LMA. This two million dollars was completely squandered by
recent boards and has been completely lost.

The best or worse example depending on whether you agree with me or
with Wayne Praeder, is Jerry Hanken. I realize that a lot of people do
not like Jerry, but he was elected four times to the board, more than
anybody else, and served ten years. The USCF was profitable in every
one of those ten years.

By contrast look at the current list. This year, we have the worst
line-up of candidates ever (not counting me of course) in the history
of the USCF.