Old May 29th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Another "Nearly an IM" discovered!

reviewerparexec at Amazon.com writes:

"A little about me, I am close to IM level so know a thing or two about
chess books.I enjoy playing on ICC and my computer. May start to take
part in tourneys again. I have limited time so take a practical
approach to maximising the use of my study time. Have over 200 books
not 1000 lol."

"Oh by the way I am now close to IM level!"

"A little bit about myself, I am returning back to chess after a long
lay off, three of the guys from college that I used to beat very easily
are now Fide Masters so I figure that once I am booked up I should by
at the IM level shortly."

Old May 29th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

The Historian wrote:
reviewerparexec at Amazon.com writes:

"A little about me, I am close to IM level so know a thing or two about
chess books.I enjoy playing on ICC and my computer. May start to take
part in tourneys again. I have limited time so take a practical
approach to maximising the use of my study time. Have over 200 books
not 1000 lol."

"Oh by the way I am now close to IM level!"

"A little bit about myself, I am returning back to chess after a long
lay off, three of the guys from college that I used to beat very easily
are now Fide Masters so I figure that once I am booked up I should by
at the IM level shortly."

Maybe he and Innes can play a match to determine who is the world's
strongest nearly-an-IM.

Old May 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message
oups.com...

The Historian wrote:
reviewerparexec at Amazon.com writes:

"A little about me, I am close to IM level so know a thing or two about
chess books.I enjoy playing on ICC and my computer. May start to take
part in tourneys again. I have limited time so take a practical
approach to maximising the use of my study time. Have over 200 books
not 1000 lol."

"Oh by the way I am now close to IM level!"

"A little bit about myself, I am returning back to chess after a long
lay off, three of the guys from college that I used to beat very easily
are now Fide Masters so I figure that once I am booked up I should by
at the IM level shortly."

Maybe he and Innes can play a match to determine who is the world's
strongest nearly-an-IM.

Maybe the not even close to a master would or would not say such stuff face
to face. I rather doubt he would be nearly-so-brave! Which unlike many
things he writes is a testable hypothesis.

And he should stick to envious mid-slinging about strong players with the
never a C player.

Phil Innes

Old May 30th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

The Historian wrote:
[...]

Phil, next time we meet, remind me and I'll be sure to say it to you
directly.

And he should stick to envious mid-slinging about strong players with the
never a C player.

To do anything envious, one must first feel envy. I'm afraid I can't
do as you ask, Phil, since I do not envy anyone. As Joe Walsh said,
"Life's been good to me so far." And my personal philosophy is pretty
much summed up by Aunt Eller in "Oklahoma": "I ain't sayin' I'm no
better than anybody else / But I'll be darned if I ain't just as good."
:-)

Old May 30th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message

.

Maybe he and Innes can play a match to determine who is the world's
strongest nearly-an-IM.

Maybe the not even close to a master would or would not say such stuff
face
to face. I rather doubt he would be nearly-so-brave! Which unlike many
things he writes is a testable hypothesis.

Phil, next time we meet, remind me and I'll be sure to say it to you
directly.

Take your chances, as you wish.

And he should stick to envious mid-slinging about strong players with the
never a C player.

To do anything envious, one must first feel envy. I'm afraid I can't
do as you ask, Phil, since I do not envy anyone. As Joe Walsh said,

Oh spare us more what other people said about throwing dirt!

"Life's been good to me so far." And my personal philosophy is pretty
much summed up by Aunt Eller in "Oklahoma": "I ain't sayin' I'm no
better than anybody else / But I'll be darned if I ain't just as good."
:-)

Oklahoma seemed a mite happier than what it is analogised with. How come you
have come to be such a sour, defeated, resentful-sounding son of a bitch? I
mean, at best, you were some 400 points from master level - and Brennan 800
points. Do you actually hate strong chess players who have aspirations and
excitements for themselves?

Prove me wrong! I have no desire to review in 6 months what I say here as a
correct and settled impression - I only see a certain claim after celebrity
on the Winter model being assumed. I am sorry to say that I have not found
his work to be of great interest since it suffers from vital flaws which,
over time, come to dominate his entire oeuvre. These must be characterised
to be envy, rather than fair comment on any vital matters concerning chess.

You think I don't like you at all - which is untrue. I merely dislike /that/
behavior as a sort of falsity that gains some amount of immediate attention,
and naught else.

You are better than that - indeed, when I wrote a question in our interview
together that you had brought a better, more uniform standard of reviewing
to the American scene, I wrote it sincerely - since overall, it seems to me
to be true.

I think you have not known sufficient Greats at any personal level, and
mistake the urgings-on of decidedly low forces as worthwhile. It is not
necessary to reply point to point - but it is necessary to notice that this
/frisson/ surrounding the subject is a famous rite-of-passage.

Phil Innes

Old May 30th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:
"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message

.

Maybe he and Innes can play a match to determine who is the world's
strongest nearly-an-IM.

Maybe the not even close to a master would or would not say such stuff
face
to face. I rather doubt he would be nearly-so-brave! Which unlike many
things he writes is a testable hypothesis.

Phil, next time we meet, remind me and I'll be sure to say it to you
directly.

Take your chances, as you wish.

Wow.

And he should stick to envious mid-slinging about strong players with the
never a C player.

To do anything envious, one must first feel envy. I'm afraid I can't
do as you ask, Phil, since I do not envy anyone. As Joe Walsh said,

Oh spare us more what other people said about throwing dirt!

Joe Walsh is a musician, whose work, at least when I was listening to
him a lot back in the 1970s, is rather upbeat and positive, not at all
about dirt-throwing. Check out for example his album "The Smoker You
Drink, the Player You Get," from his post-James Gang solo period,
before he joined the Eagles, to hear what I mean.

"Life's been good to me so far." And my personal philosophy is pretty
much summed up by Aunt Eller in "Oklahoma": "I ain't sayin' I'm no
better than anybody else / But I'll be darned if I ain't just as good."
:-)

Oklahoma seemed a mite happier than what it is analogised with.

Greg, can you translate this?

Old May 30th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:
"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message

.

Maybe he and Innes can play a match to determine who is the world's
strongest nearly-an-IM.

Maybe the not even close to a master would or would not say such stuff
face
to face. I rather doubt he would be nearly-so-brave! Which unlike many
things he writes is a testable hypothesis.

Phil, next time we meet, remind me and I'll be sure to say it to you
directly.

Take your chances, as you wish.

Wow.

you cut what follows without any indication you cut anything - as is your
usual manner, you coward, who rubbishess other people for a living - and i
entirely doubt you could stand behind any of your words, except by posturing
here in public, your face stuck to a foolish wall

nomina stultorum parietibus haerent

-

Old May 31st 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Chess One wrote:
you cut what follows without any indication you cut anything - as is your
usual manner, you coward, who rubbishess other people for a living -

No, Phil, I make my living as a computer programmer in the banking
business. I am an expert in my company's checking, savings, mortgage
and commercial loan systems, which are written in COBOL and Assembler,
and run on IBM mainframes. Rubbishing is not involved, except insofar
as debugging a program may involve getting rid of some rubbish code.
Been doing this for 25 years. Interesting work, and it pays well.

and i
entirely doubt you could stand behind any of your words, except by posturing
here in public, your face stuck to a foolish wall

Phil, you are a very strange person.

nomina stultorum parietibus haerent

zihw eseehc stae natas.

Old May 31st 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Uzytkownik "The Historian" napisal w wiadomosci
ps.com...
reviewerparexec at Amazon.com writes:

"A little about me, I am close to IM level so know a thing or two about
chess books.I enjoy playing on ICC and my computer. May start to take
part in tourneys again. I have limited time so take a practical
approach to maximising the use of my study time. Have over 200 books
not 1000 lol."

"Oh by the way I am now close to IM level!"

"A little bit about myself, I am returning back to chess after a long
lay off, three of the guys from college that I used to beat very easily
are now Fide Masters so I figure that once I am booked up I should by
at the IM level shortly."

Okay Neil, what does it all above has in common with chess politics ? Are
you using dirty tricks to defame your political opponents ? Or are you just
a very modest chess historian who wants to be remembered as a dirty chess
politico ?