Old May 31st 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default The trolls among us

SOUTHERN EXPOSURE

Well, lookee here. Our man in Zabroska has introduced a "zoika".
Chuckle, &speaking of 'button-pushing' since we're not _all_ fervently
tongue-lapping round dirty Malasian billionaire ****ty plugholes. Make
sure you don't miss any flaky, cereal bits Liarry. -- "Michael Adams"

Michael Adams proves worthy of the company of
Stan Booz, Taylor Kingston and Neil Brennen in his
devotion to the southern exposure. he ratpackers
and their allies always go with the filth when their buttons
get pushed.

Zoiko Adams, meet zoiko Kingston -- if you are
not already one and the same person.

Old May 31st 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote in message
ps.com...
SOUTHERN EXPOSURE

Well, lookee here. Our man in Zabroska has introduced a "zoika".
Chuckle, &speaking of 'button-pushing' since we're not _all_ fervently
tongue-lapping round dirty Malasian billionaire ****ty plugholes. Make
sure you don't miss any flaky, cereal bits Liarry. -- "Michael Adams"

Michael Adams proves worthy of the company of
Stan Booz, Taylor Kingston and Neil Brennen in his
devotion to the southern exposure. he ratpackers
and their allies always go with the filth when their buttons
get pushed.

Zoiko Adams, meet zoiko Kingston -- if you are
not already one and the same person.

Course not Larry! One is far more insightful and not afraid to get dirty -
more a street-fighter than a smoke and mirrors corporal - and who sometimes
makes remarks about actual chess playing [as if he's done it] which are
convincing - rather than about defeating the resident on-line moron-computer
laugh which I have nicknamed DEEP-PINK, while one character doesn't like
any authority much, the other is an obvious brown-noser

There is a fundamental difference in psychological approach, and the only
similarity is a surface resentment of greats. One doesn't like 'em at all,
and the other wished he was one.

Phil Innes

Old June 1st 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Chess One wrote:

There is a fundamental difference in psychological approach, and the only
similarity is a surface resentment of greats. One doesn't like 'em at all,
and the other wished he was one.

Chas. Chaplin was _great_ - teatotaller too..
Old June 1st 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

THIS TROLL CAN'T SPELL EITHER

Chas. Chaplin was _great_ - teatotaller too.. -- "Michael Adams"

That's teetotaller.

Old June 1st 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:
THIS TROLL CAN'T SPELL EITHER

Chas. Chaplin was _great_ - teatotaller too.. -- "Michael Adams"

That's teetotaller.

Mickey Adams lends "support" to a theory of near-IM Innes, and Larry
Parr tries to undermine it by nitpicking a single wrong character?
Hmph.

For Nick Burbacki, a troll is someone who has "lied about him" in the
newsgroups; in other words, we are nearly all "trolls" so far as he is
concerned. Yet that is hardly the standard definition of a troll. Try
to explain this, however, and it's like talking to a brick wall.

Larry Parr seems to think trolls are those posters who pop in now and
then to annoy him; the idea that these lurkers are out there, yet only
rarely pop in, and usually in response to something silly they have
read, never occured to him. Of course, in his mind, it would be
impossible that he could *provoke* such reactions by writing something
silly. The same goes for nearly-an-IM Innes, who seems to be genuinely
baffled as to why his psycho-babble is not unquestioningly swallowed
whole.

Likewise, the idea that such a poster might not be overly concerned
with perfect spelling in responding to, none other than the king of
misspelling: Phil Innes, probably is quite beyond Mr. Parr's limited
grasp. I imagine him to be filled with glee as he "refutes" a tiny
misspelling. I believe it was in the movie "Darby O'Gill and the
Little People", starring Sean Connery, that the main character wisely
observed that sometimes you can have a whole town full of people, and
only one of them is truly happy: the village idiot!

It is always amusing to watch these Evans ratpackers place a foot
squarely in mouth; one need look no further than Mr. Parr's first post
in this very short thread in order to find a very similar error to the
one he is so eager to leap upon, when the error is made by a critic,
and not a supporter or *himself*. What a buffoon.

In some ways, Mr. Parr is very similar to Sam Sloan. They both
frequently start new threads with the apparent purpose of getting
attention by starting controversy over some random issue. This, my
friends, is not so very far from the *standard* definition of a
newsgroup troll.

Even so, as trolls go, I much prefer Larry Parr to many other types.
While I am obviously repulsed by his inveterate dishonesty, I must
admit that I sometimes enjoy toppling his straw houses, built as they
always are upon a "foundation" (a shambles, actually) of half-truths
and transparent rhetoric. It's probably similar to the enjoyment
Lasker used to get from refuting weak moves OTB; no real challenge, yet
somehow satisfying nonetheless.

-- help bot

Old June 1st 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
jr jr is offline

*Well, lookee here. Our man in Zabroska has introduced
a "zoika". Chuckle, &speaking of 'button-pushing' since
we're not _all_ fervently tongue-lapping round dirty Malasian
billionaire ****ty plugholes. Make sure you don't miss any
flaky, cereal bits Liarry.* ("Michael Adams" )

*Even so, as trolls go, I much prefer Larry Parr to many other types.
While I am obviously repulsed by his inveterate dishonesty, I must
admit that I sometimes enjoy toppling his straw houses...* (Help Bot)

No doubt Help Bot considers the posting by Michael Adams
that started this thread as a model to be emulated.

Old June 1st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Uzytkownik "help bot" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...

In some ways, Mr. Parr is very similar to Sam Sloan. They both
frequently start new threads with the apparent purpose of getting
attention by starting controversy over some random issue. This, my
friends, is not so very far from the *standard* definition of a
newsgroup troll.

Okay Greg, quite good definition of "trolling " however they have a purpose
of getting attention over chess matters and it`s not such a bad thing here
in sleepy chess newsgroups and of course I can see a great sense of humour
by Mickey in his posts and it`s not a bad thing either:-)

BTW Larry is disturbed by Mickey now, however I remember that Mickey was
disturbed by Larry`s cross-posting to two newsgroups (rgc.misc and
rgc.politics. So guys don`t overreact.

Old June 2nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

THIS TROLL CAN'T SPELL EITHER

Chas. Chaplin was _great_ - teatotaller too.. -- "Michael Adams"

That's teetotaller.

Don't see what golfs' got to do with the temperance soc. Should be TEA..
Old June 2nd 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Jr wrote:

"No doubt Help Bot considers the posting by Michael Adams that
started this thread as a model to be emulated."

My version shows Larry Parr as the one who started this thread, not
Mike. I took his comments as a *reply* to an earlier posting by Larry
Parr. Since I am using Google as my newsreader, it goes without saying
that whatever you're using is inferior.

---

As for my actual (not imagined) thoughts regarding MA's comments as
a model, I think he sets a good example of being both brief and to the
point. OTOH, his writing style is far too much like that of Phil Innes
-- deliberately opaque, like a shower door, and often yeilding the
impression of sloppiness, not to mention focusing on anything but the
issues being discussed.

I take it that Jr either a) has no thoughts whatever (quite
plausible, considering), or b) is forbidden from expressing them, with
regard to the issue of Larry Parr describing critics like Michael Adams
as "trolls", simply because they annoy him.

IMO, the standard definition of a newsgroup troll suffices, and these
peculiar attempts, by posters such as Larry Parr and Nick Bourbaki, to
rewrite the definition to their own purpose, reveals more about their
own psychological problems than it does about the targets of their
name-calling.

The funny part is, there are plenty of *genuine* trolls to be spotted
hereabouts, yet the ones crying "troll!" pay them no attention, caught
up as they are in their own little worlds.

Deep insight: Suppose LP or NB really believed that poster X was a
troll (standard definition). The easy answer would be to "plonk" the
troll and be done with him. However, deep down, these guys know they
are spewing BS; they know that X is not really a troll, and they know
that "plonking" him would not serve their real purpose, which is to
silence a critic. Thus, the easy answer is no answer at all, and the
battle continues. Feeling overwhelmingly outnumbered, posters like LP
and NB will often resort to "fighting tactics" which border on the
twilight zone. To me, their world is simply not as real, *and* not so
brightly lit.

-- help bot

Old June 2nd 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

michael adams wrote:
wrote:

THIS TROLL CAN'T SPELL EITHER

Chas. Chaplin was _great_ - teatotaller too.. -- "Michael Adams"

That's teetotaller.

Don't see what golfs' got to do with the temperance soc. Should be TEA..

It's a bit tricky, but golf *is* the key, despite what one might
expect.

In 1429, a Scotsman named Kolven Chole invented the game now commonly
called "golf" in the Kingdom of Fife (now Scotland).
Now, it goes without saying that whenever Bernhard ran out of
Slazenger balls, he tee'd up the next best thing -- a Titleist. Before
long, pro golfers became known in slang terms as either
"tee-Titleists", or "Slaz'ers".
A century later, in 1852 there was a great fire at the Slazenger golf
ball factory, putting that company out of action for several years.
During this time, the tee-Title'ers (as they had come to be called by
the late 1800's) grew to outnumber the Slaz'ers such that the latter
slang name was dropped altogether, all pro golfer types henceforth
being labeled as tee-title'ers (capital T now dropped to lower-case).
Eventually, over time the hyphen was dropped as well, along with the
apostrophe, leaving the more modern version, or "teetitleer", but when
newbies were seen to mispronounce this as rhyming with "musketeer", the
spelling was modified to the current version, "teetotaler". How the
"o" got to replace the "i" is not clear, but one theory is that it
stems from the tendency of pro golfer types to "totally" clear water
hazards -- unlike most amatuers, including myself. In fact, with the
obvious advantage of modern technology, using an oversized titanium
driver, I can often reach the water hazard in a single stroke! To bad
they don't make Slazengers that float....

Granted, common sense would seem to indicate that tea totaler -- as
opposed to those who drink alchoholic beverages in addition to tea --
makes perfect sense. And yet this is not the way things work in the
real world. In the real world, languages are a hodgepodge combination
of words derived from various and sundry sources, with little if any
rhyme or reason. This complete lack of reason, of common sense in
language, is why spelling champions like Larry Parr excel by using rote
memorization in place of logic to determine the correct spelling of
less common words. Just kidding. In reality, he probably uses a spell
checker program which "flags" errors like this for him automatically.
Or he could be a former member of AA, in which case words like
teetotaler are quite familiar. In this case, the odds of Larry Parr
misspelling such a word are about the same as me misspelling Mountain
Dew or Coke. It boils down to familiarity.

Next week: how the game of chess was invented, and later perfected,
by an ancestor of GM Ray Keene. (And you wondered how he got to be the
world's foremost authority!)

-- help bot