Old June 3rd 06, 04:44 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

Default Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

This was not unexpected. In any election where Rwanda and Seychelles
have the same number of votes as Germany and the USA, any candidate
willing to cater to the whims of the non-chess playing countries will
have the advantage.

Perhaps all is not lost. We can hope that this election will be a good
wake-up call for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. We can hope that he has learned
that he cannot dismiss the concerns of the real chess-playing
countries with an imperious wave of the hand. We can hope that he will
abandon his arrogant management style, where he simply issues orders
and leaves the meetings without allowing any opportunity for objection
or dissent.

For example, by decree and without consulting anybody, Kirsan
Ilyumzhinov set the time limits to be faster than any grandmaster felt
comfortable playing. His arrogant attitude has been that he is the
Decider who makes the rules. Will this continue?

It is to be recalled that in 1994 Campomanes won re-election in a
highly irregular way. Yet one year later he was forced to step aside
in Paris, which brought in Ilyumzhinov.

Perhaps something like that will happen again. Perhaps Ilyumzhinov
will realize that it is useless to be a leader if he has no followers
and so will allow some real chess players to run the World Chess
Federation for a change.

It will be interesting to see what he does about the Beatroiz
Marinello issue. Clearly, Beatriz expects to be rewarded with an
important position in FIDE in compensation for defecting from the USA
and in bringing in the South American vote. It is to me noted that the
margin of victory was 42 votes. That means that if 22 nations had
switched their vote, Bessel Kok would have won. Beatriz can rightfully
claim the she brought in 17 South American Spanish-speaking votes for
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. However, to appoint her to any position in FIDE
would be a slap in the face for the USA and a violation of FIDE rules.

I am predicting that nothing will be given to Beatriz and she will
leave the meetings empty-handed, but we shall see. The most famous
turn-coat in history was Benedict Arnold, who became the Benedict
Arnold of America. He defected from the American side during the
Revolutionary War and went over to the British because of some petty
dispute. He was the only military officer who won battles for both
sides in the war. After the war, he went to England expecting to be
given some high honor, whereas the Americans would have hung him.
However, the British wanted nothing to do with a turn-coat and threw
him out. Benedict Arnold lived out his life in Russia.

Will this be the fate of Beatriz Marinello, or will we see her for the
next four years sitting with her smiling face on the dais next to
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov?

Old June 3rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

Sam Sloan wrote:
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

It would be interesting to see how the different countries lined up.
Is this information available on the web somewhere?

Old June 3rd 06, 09:28 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

Taylor Kingston wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

It would be interesting to see how the different countries lined up.
Is this information available on the web somewhere?

It certainly would be extremely interesting, because the ballot is
supposed to have been secret.

Old June 3rd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

Sam Sloan wrote:
[...]

Just a minor correction. Arnold died in England in 1801 and was
rewarded for his service.
..

Rob

Old June 4th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Uzytkownik "samsloan" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...
Taylor Kingston wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

It would be interesting to see how the different countries lined up.
Is this information available on the web somewhere?

It certainly would be extremely interesting, because the ballot is
supposed to have been secret.

I know for sure that Polish delegate Mr. Filipowicz voted for Mr.
Ilyumzhinov in return for being the main referee in Elista WWCC match this
year.

Those delegates who voted for Bessel Kok are on his internet website
"RightMove". Now there is no chance for FIDE to be reformed but I hope that
Mr. Bessel Kok will support alternative to FIDE chess movements and
organizations like ACP or ECU.

Old June 4th 06, 09:36 AM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

snip

anyone still awake?

Old June 4th 06, 11:25 AM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

"captain." wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

snip

anyone still awake?

Did the UN have monitors at all the polling stations?

How can we be sure the Russians didn't stuff the ballot boxes?

Old June 4th 06, 10:10 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

"Sokhraneet Nash Mir" wrote in message
news

"captain." wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
Reflections on the Defeat of Bessel Kok

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 96 to 54, with a record
number of 150 nations voting.

snip

anyone still awake?

Did the UN have monitors at all the polling stations?

How can we be sure the Russians didn't stuff the ballot boxes?

poor sam. he tries so hard to be relevant

Old June 4th 06, 10:31 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

Bessel:

His speech before the delegates was the best chess speech I ever heard
both in delivery and content. It showed integrity above all else. I was
proud to be campaigning for this man.

Beatriz:

When one represents USCF to FIDE that person is an ambassador of the
USCF.

I am disappointed how Beatriz represented USCF and her fellow board
members.

It will be interesting to see the reaction.

What will not stand is Beatriz's open letter calling her fellow Board
members fanatic Kok supporters and stating incorrectly that the EB
would not work with FIDE iof Bessel lost.

I go public on this point only because those incorrect remarks cannot
stand uncorrected.

Makro admitted Kirsan should not have stated Scandal in the USCF, I
sked Beatriz to reject that statement and she refused.

Now that both sides of this debate have been stated, best these
differences now be aired in private.

If beatriz wants to disagree with what I said, , I will stand on my
words here and say no more in public for now.

Don Schultz

Old June 4th 06, 11:09 PM posted to soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.italian

Default Reflections on the Defeat of Blessed Kok

"chessdon" I am disappointed how Beatriz represented USCF and her fellow
board
members.

The back-stabbing dyke needs to be removed from any official capacity that
she still retains in the USCF. Let her kiss Ruskie ass on her own dime.