Old June 3rd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default June Chess Life

A QUICK PEEK AT THE COVER

It has a decent photo of U.S. Champion Alexander Onischuk, and
announces a special 19 page report on this tournament that ended in San
Diego last March. The cover price has been increased from $3.95 to
$4.95.

WHAT'S THERE

Tournament Life

Classified Ads

Statements from all five candidates for the Executive Board (not
specifically cited in the index but lumped under "USCF Affairs").

A huge Summer Sales Catalog

FEATURES

The Morphy of the North by John Hilbert

Surprises in San Diego by John Watson

Alex the Invincible by Jennifer Shahade.

An American in Iceland by Ben johnson

The South Rises Again by Mike Klein

REGULAR COLUMNS

Chess to Enjoy by Andy Soltis

Polgar's Pick by Susan Polgar with Paul Truong

Looks at Books by Pete Tamburro

Solitaire Chess by Bruce Pandolfini
Back to Basics by Lev Alburt

Endgame Lab by Pal Benko.

WHAT'S NOT THERE

Letters to the Editor

Key Crackers by David Brown

Easy Does It by Robert Lincoln

Chess is in the Mail by Alex Dunne

Larry Evans on Chess and What's The Best Move?

EDITOR'S NOTE

Editor Daniel Lucas on page 3 explains the changes that readers are
likely to notice.

"Because of the interactive capabilities of the Web, we're shifting
some topics, like problem composition, primarily to uschess.org, where
we'll be offering more problems than ever and inviting you to
contribute ones of your own. The Web also lends itself to a Q & A
column where readers can join lively discussion threads. On our Web
site, three-time U.S. Champion Joel Benjamin [as I predicted] will be
trying to provide the A's to your Q's -- and you'll have the
ability to chime in with your own answers.

A BRUSQUE GOODBYE

"Larry Evans on Chess, which did so much to enlighten readers about the
Fischer era in particular, will no longer appear in these pages." --
Dan Lucas

This is how the new editor deals with the absence of the elephant in
the living room. No thank you for all the years this column has
enlivened Chess Life. Instead, since Evans on Chess was terminated in
May 2006, we now learn that the Fischer era is officially over. But
there is scarcely a single major controversy that GM Evans did not
cover in this column since Fischer abdicated the crown in 1975.

MY CONCLUSION: A lot of wasted space with photos of players occupying a
full page, but all in all a handsome issue with diagrams in blue and
white instead of black and white. Readers must decide for themselves
whether or not this redesign justifies an expenditure of $50,000 (for
the magazine and website).

Old June 4th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I have been trold that Evans, Byrne and Rohde got the axe. From what
you write, that appears to be correct.

Old June 4th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
g4 g4 is offline

wrote in message oups.com...

the living room. No thank you for all the years this column has
enlivened Chess Life. Instead, since Evans on Chess was terminated in
May 2006, we now learn that the Fischer era is officially over.

Thank goodness!

MY CONCLUSION: A lot of wasted space with photos of players occupying a
full page, but all in all a handsome issue with diagrams in blue and
white instead of black and white. Readers must decide for themselves
whether or not this redesign justifies an expenditure of $50,000 (for
the magazine and website).

larry, you seem to exude a bitter tone. Unlike you and the other Chess Tours
ratpackers, I feel no bitterness over the changes. I can't hardly wait to see
the June issue.

Old June 4th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
jr jr is offline

Since they just eliminated the only column worth reading in
that rag, the board should demand a refund from Paul Hoffman!

The editor's brusque goodbye is just plain insulting.

Old June 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
g4 g4 is offline

I happen to enjoy Chess Life. Each month I find articles / games of interest.
Reading Evans' obsession about Fischer is of no interest to me.

oups.com...

Old June 4th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I'm not a member so I read Chess Life at tax payers expense down at the
local library. When I did take the magazine I enjoyed using it as a
table mat for whatever lunch I threw together and also for swatting
roaches which down this way often weigh 3 to 5 pounds. If I managed to
swat a roach I always made sure to wipe off the guts before resuming
lunch.

Old Haasie

Old June 4th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:
I'm not a member so I read Chess Life at tax payers expense down at the
local library. When I did take the magazine I enjoyed using it as a
table mat for whatever lunch I threw together and also for swatting
roaches which down this way often weigh 3 to 5 pounds. If I managed to
swat a roach I always made sure to wipe off the guts before resuming
lunch.

Old Haasie

I once watched a program on TV where they described how, after
concluding various tests on roaches to see, for example, just how much
radiation they could withstand, the remainder which were still alive
were disposed of in the following way: they were sealed in heavy
plastic bags filled with poison, then tossed into a dumpster. Some
time later, it was discovered that a few had managed to chew their way
out, escape, reproduce, and voilla -- super-roaches! It's precisely as
if the U.S. government had set about trying to "develop" a superior
strain of roaches, for release into the wild in order to, say,
"control" whatever it is they eat.

FWIW, your story smacks of exaggeration; for instance, a roach
weighing in at five pounds would simply laugh-off your weak attempts to
swat it -- however hard -- with a magazine, and snatch your PB&J
sandwich right out of your hands. If you should happen to run out of
food -- look out, for it will begin sizing you up as its next meal! So
always remember to keep a baseball bat handy, as well as a sawed-off
shotgun or two in case you are badly outnumbered. Aim for the legs, as
a shot to the brain has little effect, but a crippled roach can be
easily outrun. "...live to fight another day!"

-- help bot

Old June 4th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

jr wrote:
Since they just eliminated the only column worth reading in
that rag, the board should demand a refund from Paul Hoffman!

The editor's brusque goodbye is just plain insulting.

Look, I realise you Evans ratpackers aren't able to think very
clearly, so I'm gonna do you a small favor here and help you out (hey,
it's my job).

Countless times, your ringleader, Larry Parr, has argued that the old
surveys which placed columnists like Soltis and Evans at the very top
are perfectly valid indicators of what Chess Life readers want to read.
Now you come along and try and squash that idea, brushing off Soltis
and others as material not "worth reading". You are, whether you
realise it or not, undermining LP's efforts to "sell" those surveys as
being reliable measures of what has readership value, or worth.

Now I realise that a parrot has a brain about the size of a pea, most
of which is devoted to eyesight, not logical thinking, so I don't blame
you for making such a silly mistake -- it's only natural. Birds aren't
very smart; even the few who can "talk" just mindlessly repeat what
they have heard, without critical evaluation. But don't think that
lets you off the hook entirely -- if you keep on undermining, Larry
Parr may get upset and deny you your crackers. (Look at me -- trying
to "reason" with a parrot!)

--

FWIW, I think your master should leap at this opportunity, not merely
settle into the rut of whining and complaining about the unfairness of

This seems like an excellent *opportunity* for Larry Parr to write a
book, or a long article, about Larry Evans' contributions to chess and
Chess Life over the years. The fact that Evans' column has just been
cut means that such a book can now be considered both timely, and
complete.

I'm not talking about a rehash of Evans' old columns -- that's
already been done, and by Larry Evans himself. I'm talking about
another perspective, a sizing-up and detailing the myriad contributions
Evans has made. In other words, responding to this "adversity" in a
constructive manner, not merely moaning and groaning about it. It's
just a thought.

-- help bot

Old June 4th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

help bot wrote:

This seems like an excellent *opportunity* for Larry Parr to write a
book, or a long article, about Larry Evans' contributions to chess and
Chess Life over the years. The fact that Evans' column has just been
cut means that such a book can now be considered both timely, and
complete.

I'm not talking about a rehash of Evans' old columns -- that's
already been done, and by Larry Evans himself. I'm talking about
another perspective, a sizing-up and detailing the myriad contributions
Evans has made. In other words, responding to this "adversity" in a
constructive manner, not merely moaning and groaning about it. It's
just a thought.

Parr is unable to write without moaning and groaning. Remember the
e-book he threatened to publish about Edward Winter? And his cut and
paste 'essay' on the same?

Old June 4th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:
help bot wrote:

Parr is unable to write without moaning and groaning. Remember the
e-book he threatened to publish about Edward Winter? And his cut and
paste 'essay' on the same?

Well, I do remember reading a lot about this proposed e-book, but so
far as I know Larry Parr may never have followed through; I mean, he
seems to have mentioned it now and then as support for his criticisms
of Edward Winter, but I never seem to see a Web link, such as:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/parr.trashes.winter.html/

Perhaps Mr. Parr is getting this book published on dead tree material
for profit, and doesn't want to undermine his own sales by giving away
the material for free. Who knows? Perhaps he never followed through
with his "threat" -- which is, as you know, stronger than the
execution.

As to whether or not Mr. Parr is *capable* of writing without his
usual whining, look at it this way: Gary Kasparov recently finished
writing a book about Karpov, wherein he does *not* (that's right, NOT)
trash the subject! He focused (so I've read) on Karpov's games, on his
results, and not on their enmity; who would have guessed Kasparov was
capable of this (for him) amazing feat? Granted, he's got another book
in the works, where he will undoubtedly vent his spleen, but all it
took to restrain his usual recklessness was a signed contract.
In view of that, I wouldn't rule out the possibility altogether. But
I do realise that the path of least resistance for Mr. Parr is to
continue in his usual manner -- moaning, groaning, and generally
bashing whoever might be in charge at the USCF. The truth is, writing
a book or a long article as I suggested would require considerable
*work*; and why would anyone want to work, when they can simply moan?

-- help bot