Old June 6th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default June Chess Life is Fabulous

June Chess Life is Fabulous

I just received the June Chess Life this morning. It is great. The
magazine has been completely reformatted. There is a great picture of
Onischuk on the cover, but better yet is a greater picture of Jennifer
Shahade on the inside cover.

You would think that Jennifer is the cover girl for Vogue Magazine.
You would never imagine that she plays chess too. A fantastic photo.

The inside of the magazine has been completely reformatted, with new
fonts, new diagrams, new everything. Lots of great pictures, too.

Not everything is perfect. I found one major typo. Can you find it? It
almost jumps out of the page.

An advertisement on page C1 says that Kramnik is the World Chess
Champion. As everybody knows, Kasparov is the real World Chess
Champion.

The diagrams are different from any chess diagrams I have ever seen.
They look good, but are a bit strange. Will they last?

However, the first thing that everybody has noticed is the statement
on page 3, which states:

"Larry Evans" on Chess, which did so much to enlighten readers about
the Fischer era in particular, will no longer appear on these pages.

One will imagine that if he has not died, he must be seriously ill, or
else be involved in some unspeakable dispute with management.

The previous sentence in the article makes it clear that the Larry
Evans column has been taken over by Joel Benjamin.

Sorry, Joel, but your articles have appeared before and you even had
your own chess magazine once, but the readers just do not gravitate to
your writing the way they go for Larry Evans.

Also, the Fischer Era is not over. The name of Bobby Fischer still
commands more space in the general circulations newspapers than any
other chess personality.

Michael Rohde has been replaced by Susan Polgar. I have been told by
Rohde himself that his monthly column was late several times. Sorry,
Michael, but a deadline is called a deadline for a reason, and even if
you only missed it a few times, they have a good excuse to can you.

However, I preferred Susan's column Opening Secrets, which I read
regularly. I doubt I will read her Game of the Month column.

Back to Evans, it has been said that his column was cut because all of
the regular columnists were going out. It is now obvious that this is
not true. There is no explanation as to why Byrne did not appear this
month, but everybody else, Soltis, Alburt, Benko and even Pandolfini,
are all still there and I would like to know why Larry Evans was
singled out.

Old June 6th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...]

And you're still the chief asshole!

Old June 6th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Ray Gordon" And you're still the chief asshole!

Is that the best that you have to offer?

Your remark brought to mind a fat, middle-aged drunken whore I saw once at a
Bennigan's and she was apparently angry at someone and got off her stool and
stumbled and said "And you're still the chief asshole" as everyone laughed
at her.

Old June 6th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Please tell me that Key Krackers is still there. Please, oh god,
please....

Old June 6th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

The Masked Bishop wrote:
Please tell me that Key Krackers is still there. Please, oh god,
please....

Why, did you ever solve any of the Krackers correctly?

Old June 7th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

I just received the June Chess Life this morning. It is great. The
magazine has been completely reformatted. There is a great picture of
Onischuk on the cover, but better yet is a greater picture of Jennifer
Shahade on the inside cover.

You would think that Jennifer is the cover girl for Vogue Magazine.
You would never imagine that she plays chess too. A fantastic photo.

Interesting that someone who fixates on "chess babes" on his website
would make that statement...

An advertisement on page C1 says that Kramnik is the World Chess
Champion. As everybody knows, Kasparov is the real World Chess
Champion.

Did you mean Topalov? Kasparov was defeated by Kramnik 6 years ago and
has retired!

Also, the Fischer Era is not over. The name of Bobby Fischer still
commands more space in the general circulations newspapers than any
other chess personality.

These days usually for all the wrong reasons...

Besides, if Morphy doesn't need to be mentioned in every issue of Chess
Life, why should Fischer? The guy's last serious chess games that are
readily known about happened nearly 14 years ago, and his most
significant contributions to the game are over 30 years old...

Michael Rohde has been replaced by Susan Polgar. I have been told by
Rohde himself that his monthly column was late several times. Sorry,
Michael, but a deadline is called a deadline for a reason, and even if
you only missed it a few times, they have a good excuse to can you.

Yep, just like candidate statements... ;-)
Old June 8th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
June Chess Life is Fabulous

I just received the June Chess Life this morning. It is great. The
magazine has been completely reformatted. There is a great picture of
Onischuk on the cover, but better yet is a greater picture of Jennifer
Shahade on the inside cover.

I agree with Sam. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the website. I have a
feeling it will be fabulous, too.