Old June 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Kasparov's statement at the end of 1984 KK match

Kasparov's statement at the end of 1984 KK match.
=======================================

During the press conference on Friday,
February 15, called by Campomanes,
at noon Moscow time, in the Hotel Sport,
BOTH Kasparov and Karpov stated very
CLEARLY that they want to continue the
match. (However, only Kasparov had
added that he wants to continue without
any further, not granted by rules, delays
and breaks).

Below I provide an indirect but hopefully
faithful citation. In his book, "The Moscow
challenge KARPOV-KASPAROV", Raymond
Keene wrote that he is reproducing "this
reconstruction ... from wire service reports,
mainly those of AP sent by David Goodman."
Here is a portion of this reproduction:

"
He [Campomanes] was asked again if
it was true that Karpov was at the point
of physical collapse, but had no time to
answer before the world champion himself
[Karpov] burst into the auditorium, shouting:
"I want to make my statement!" and strode
to the microphone to a round of applause.
"We can and want to continue the game.",
he said. "I do not agree with the decision
to end it and to start from scratch. I think
Mr Kasparov will second this position."
[...] The news conference moderator said
earlier that neither player would be present.
Invited to the podium by Campomanes [...]
Kasparov took the microphone and shouted
at the FIDE Chief in English(!): "You said
that 25 minutes ago the champion was
objecting to the breaking off the match.
Then why are you making all this show?
Will you please answer this question.
With members of the audience booing
and heckling, Campomanes told the angry
players he would have been happy to
discuss the decision, but had not been
able to get in touch with them. "I am very
happy you are here; let's get together"
he said. Kasparov's supporters booed and
shouted at Campomanes: "You said you
just met Karpov 25 minutes ago." Kasparov
then shouted" "They are trying to deprive
me of my chances. The champion feels
unwell. I want to play with no time-outs
and no intervals. With every delay, Karpov's
chances improve." "I have said more than
once that I want to play this game, I am
absolutely healthy," he continued, "they
have tried to convince me otherwise and to
end this match on all sorts of pretexts"."

[...]

He [Kasparov] confirmed earlier reports that
Karpov had twice proposed a halt to play --
when the score was 5:2 and then again
when Kasparov won his third game.

"

END of citation-reproduction fragment.

It's striking how dishonest Campomanes was.
He, as FIDE president, had nothing better to do
than to devote his time to meeting Karpov
AND Kasparov, if he meant any changes to
the match. He preferred to act behind the scene,
without consulting Kasparov (while staying
in touch with the Karpov's camp). Also dishonest
was Karpov, who was putting one front for the
world-wide audience, and actually acting
in a different way in the background. For the
audience Karpov acted like a soldier: "I am
a chessplayer, I want to play chess". It was
a false pretense. Under such circumstances,
Kasparov's question was logical--since
supposedly BOTH players wanted to play then
"What is all this show about?". Indeed, Campo
and Karpov staged a show to make Karpov
look better, and in an attempt to make their case
look more acceptable.

*****

I made the effort of typing all the above
because carelessly I've written earlier
on this rgc[mp] forum about this topic
just what I remembered, when I didn't have
"The Moscow Challenge" book at hand.

Regards,

Wlod