Old June 17th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default when is Kirsan going to hold the next FIDE Presidential Board meeting

Dear Kirsan,

Is FIDE a lawless organization, or does Kirsan respect the laws of the
FIDE General Assembly? WHEN IS THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL BOARD MEETING
GOING TO BE HELD?

Marcus Roberts
President
Chalreston Chess Assocation, LLC
St Kitts and Nevis
The West Indies

FIDE HANBOOK.

"The Presidential Board assembles at least once every three months. In
addition the President may at any time convene the Presidential Board
for consultation in person, by telefax or teleconference."

Old June 18th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

"jr" wrote in message
ps.com...
wrote:

Dear Kirsan,

Is FIDE a lawless organization, or does Kirsan respect the laws of the
FIDE General Assembly? WHEN IS THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL BOARD MEETING
GOING TO BE HELD?

Dear Marcus,

It should be obvious to you by now that this forum is
more about character assassination than about chess.

I think you should take Kasparov's advice which
he just expresed in NEW IN CHESS about FIDE
(it applies to the USCF as well): "We cannot
continue to waste time looking for ways to repair
something that is so fundamentally dysfunctional."

Yes. A mixed commentary by GK, half on chess, and half chess politics -
which as he says himself, is the reality for strong players. He said that
the specific dysfunctions were that the candidates series now seems
abandoned to some preference to knowing people, and that Fide had failed to
make chess a modern game that could contain investment from sponsors.

A large factor in that was the lack of democracy evident at Fide - so I
think you can go whistle for your next 'meeting' which will resemble the
usual audience with the Pope.

I note that in the letter columns a gent from England contests whether Kok
or Kirsan would make any difference to world chess affairs? This is, on the
face of it, a very naive letter, since Kok has been propping up European
chess for a dozen years and enjoys substantial player support, especially
from the monied nations in the West - he is so evidently not an ego-maniac,
though perhaps a bit naive about the price of oil?

Phil Innes

Old June 18th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Dear Marcus,

I think you should take Kasparov's advice which
he just expresed in NEW IN CHESS about FIDE
(it applies to the USCF as well): "We cannot
continue to waste time looking for ways to repair
something that is so fundamentally dysfunctional."

I am prepared to attempt to overthrow Kirsan's chess governmnet if we
are continued to be denied access to the world chess championship as we
are effectively denied in 2006 from playing chess with the other
nations. The facts are that FIDE has no legal basis to keep a nation
that is well funded from playing in the world chess championship. FIDE
must obey the Swiss courts. You have seen posts from our Swiss law
firm; the law is on our side.

Furthermore, we are going to vote in FIDE. We are a soverign nation. If
the US Virgin Islands votes, we are going to vote.

Beyond that, I am willing to deal with KING Kirsan. He is not President
of FIDE, he is KING OF FIDE. I can't change the system, but I treating
St Kitts and Nevis as some second class country isn't going to work.

Once we vote in FIDE, I believe I will take your advice. However, it
isn't clear to me I can get to that point without a chess war.

On a business level, I can't hold chess tournaments on St Kitts without
FIDE membership. I have a 350,000 dollar investment in a condo. I'll
fight this out in the Court of Aribration of Sport if I have to. I'll
win the fight.

This will be as painful for me as it is for FIDE.

I will not throw away my interests and investments for the egotistical
needs of FIDE. St Kitts and Nevis has a right to participate in Olympic
Events, as guarenteed by the Olympic Charter and ratified by FIDE in
1999.

The King only has so much power, and then Kirsan has to change his
behavior when enough money makes him, as in this case.

After we vote, I think you are right.

Marcus

Old June 19th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

A large factor in that was the lack of democracy evident at Fide - so I
think you can go whistle for your next 'meeting' which will resemble the
usual audience with the Pope.

I note that in the letter columns a gent from England contests whether Kok
or Kirsan would make any difference to world chess affairs? This is, on the
face of it, a very naive letter, since Kok has been propping up European
chess for a dozen years and enjoys substantial player support, especially
from the monied nations in the West - he is so evidently not an ego-maniac,
though perhaps a bit naive about the price of oil?

Phil Innes

One member one vote (OMOV) will not work within FIDE. Look at what it
takes to get a small nation into the World Chess Championship cycle:
lawyers, money. FIDE doesn't want members that are not Kirsan
followers. If FIDE went to OMOV, the problems of small nations, like St
Kitts and Nevis, get worse, not better.

Once admitted, my only real power as a FIDE Delegate will be to propose
items on the agenda of the General Assembly. On benefit that will
emerge is that R.G.C.P. will get to give input to my agenda items that
might begin to appear as early as the 2008 Olympiads.

What I think you need are some representatives that represent players
and are elected that vote in the FIDE General Assembly. The national
chess federations would get to decide how they would elect their
representatives. These new FIDE Delegates would be only for the big
countries.

The General Assembly needs to be restructured. No more seats need to be
sold.

If you had members of the General Assembly elected by the Players
themselves, perhaps the organization would reflect the values of the
membership, over time.

Marcus