Old October 19th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default CCC

Cartoon Cast of Characters:
===========================
This list attempts to answer this question: What
cartoon characters can most enjoyably be associated
with prominent figures in this newsgroup. To benefit
from this approach try to imagine the cartoon
character speaking when you read posts from that
person.

For those unfamiliar with a particular cartoon
character, I have added web links to the notorious
wikipedia where possible.

'Yow! Legally-imposed CULTURE-reduction is
CABBAGE-BRAINED!' -- Zippy the Pinhead
===========================

Bauer, Randy --- Pointy Haired Boss
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy_Haired_Boss)
Bourbaki, Nick --- ?
(See: )
Brennen, Neil --- Crankshaft
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranksh...comic_strip%29)
Brennen, Neil --- Statler and Waldorf
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statler_and_Waldorf)
Evans, Larry --- Mr. Natural
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Natural_(comics))
Goichberg, Bill --- Eugene H. Krabs
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_H._Krabs)
Goichberg, Bill --- Montgomery Burns
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Burns)
Gordon, Ray --- Uncle Duke
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Duke)
Houlsby, Mark --- ?
(See: )
Innes, Phil --- Daffy Duck
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daffy_Duck)
Kingston, Taylor --- ?
(See: )
Mitchell, Rob --- Elmer Fudd
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Fudd)
Mottershead, Brian --- Dudley Do-Right
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Do-Right)
Murray, Mike --- Dilbert
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert)
Parr, Larry --- Mallard Fillmore
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallard_Fillmore)
Polgar, Susan --- Kodos
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_and_Kodos)
Polgar, Susan --- Lisa Simpson
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Simpson)
Repa, Jason --- Bluto
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluto)
Roberts, Marcus --- Yosemite Sam
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Sam)
Sloan, Sam --- Sideshow Bob
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Bob)
Sloan, Sam --- Snidely Whiplash
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snidely_Whiplash)
Truong, Paul --- Bart Simpson
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Simpson)
Truong, Paul --- Kang
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_and_Kodos)
Walker, J.D. --- Judge Parker
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Parker)

Notes: The foregoing material is now maintained in an
Emacs Lisp program. This is all very subjective. That is part
of the point. However it can be shared subjectivity. If
you have an idea, respond!

Some people may have more than one listing. Use alternative
personae at your whim. Example: Paul and Susan are
listed as both Bart & Lisa or Kang & Kodos. I prefer
Kang & Kodos with their express intent to take over
the universe starting with Earth. Your mileage may
vary.

Some people listed here may not post in R.G.C.P., but
are listed because they are frequent subjects.

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 19th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On 19 Oct 2007 09:13:38 -0700, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

[Event "Washington Open"]
[Site "Seattle, WA, USA"]
[Date "1974.??.??"]

Date ["1974.01.06"]

[Round "5"]
[White "Seirawan, Yasser"]
[Black "Walker, J.D."]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A42v"]
[EventDate "1974.??.??"]

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.c4 d6 4.Nc3 e5 5.dxe5 dxe5 6.Qxd8+ Kxd8 7.Bg5+ f6
8.O-O-O+ Nd7 9.Be3 Bh6 10.Nd5 Bxe3+ 11.Nxe3 c6 12.g3 Kc7 13.f4 Nh6
14.Bd3 Nc5 15.fxe5 fxe5 16.Nf3 Ng4 17.Nxg4 Bxg4 18.Rhf1 Bxf3 19.Rxf3
Rhf8 20.Re3 Rf2 21.Rd2 Raf8 22.b4 Ne6 23.Re1 Nd4 24.Rxf2 Rxf2 25.Rf1
Rxf1+ 26.Bxf1 c5 27.a3 cxb4 28.axb4 Nc6 29.b5 Nd4 30.Kb2 Kd6 31.Kc3
Kc5 32.h4 h6 33.Bd3 a5 34.bxa6 bxa6 35.Bf1 a5 36.Bd3 a4 37.Bf1 a3
38.Bd3 Nc6 39.Bc2 a2 40.Kb2 Kxc4 41.Kxa2 Nb4+ 0-1

My tournament record against Yasser was 3 wins and no losses or
draws. Of course I was cradle-robbing! Yasser went on to become much
stronger. A few years later he mopped the floor with poor me in a
blitz match. I salute him as a fine gentleman and an excellent
sportsman.

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Interesting. I played in that same tournament, finishing 4-1, losing
to Biyiasis in the last round. That game probably more than any other
caused me to pull away from tournament chess as a major hobby,
although I played in a few more tourneys and club events until 1978.

Several years before this game (when I was rated in the 1400s), I
found a desperado line 15. Nxb6 Rxc2 16. Nxc8 Rxc8 17. Rxb7 Rc1+ 18.
Ke2 Rxh1 19. Rb8+ Ke7 20. Rxh8 Rxh2. At the US Open in Seattle, 1966,
I showed this to my friend Bill Kiplinger of Oregon, and he
immediately pointed out that after 15 K-Q2, Black is just busted. Fast
forward to 1974 and this game with Biyiasis where I would have been
very happy with a draw and, I remembered my old analysis.
Unfortunately, I forgot Kiplinger's comment... until Biyiasis looked
at the position for a couple minutes and played 15 Kd2. Then I
remembered. Ugh.

[Event "Washington Open"]
[Site "Seattle, WA USA"]
[Date "1974.01.06"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Biyiasis, Peter"]
[Black "Murray, Mike"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C14"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. e5 Ne4 6. Bxe7 Nxc3 7. Bxd8
Nxd1 8. Bxc7 Nxb2 9. Rb1 Nc4 10. Bxc4 dxc4 11. Nf3 Nd7? 12. Nd2 Nb6
13. Bxb6 axb6 14. Nxc4 Rxa2 15. Kd2 Bd7 16. Nd6+ Ke7 17. Rxb6 Bc6 18.
Rhb1 Rha8 and I resigned a few moves later. 1-0
Old October 19th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:19:12 -0000, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

Wow!!! This thing finally showed up! Ain't the Internet weird &
strange....

Indeed it is. I think I had you confused with someone else who has
occasionally posted here. My apologies.

Are you the Washington state player who went by "Johnny Walker" or
"John Walker" in your competitive days?
Old October 19th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:
Wow!!! This thing finally showed up! Ain't the Internet weird &
strange....

Indeed it is. I think I had you confused with someone else who has
occasionally posted here. My apologies.

Are you the Washington state player who went by "Johnny Walker" or
"John Walker" in your competitive days?

Hmm, does that mean I don't get Judge Parker now?? :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 19th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

The choice of Phil Innes --- Daffy Duck was sort of an intuitive leap
on my part. Recently I came across some confirming material I will
share with you now.

===================
I found the following gem in an old message on ChessBanter.com:

"I had missed that when Brennen first pointed it out. This is rich --
Innes actually started arguing with himself! Good grief, no wonder he
can't understand anyone else here -- he can't even understand his own
words!
It reminds me a bit of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons, where Bugs and,
say, Daffy Duck would be arguing: "Is!" -- "Is not!" -- "Is!!" -- "Is
not!!" etc. Then Bugs would switch to "Is not!", and Daffy would reply
unthinkingly "Is!".
It's been obvious for some time that Phil's a bit daffy, but now we
see he's also a bit Daffy."

-- Taylor Kingston
===================

What can I say... Score!!! :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 19th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:01:45 -0000, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

Hmm, does that mean I don't get Judge Parker now?? :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

You get your choice of Judge Parker, Mark Trail, or Rex Morgan,M.D.
The pinnacle of respectability in the comic world.
Old October 20th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 19, 2:34 pm, "j.d.walker" wrote:
[...]

_
"... I am not interested in the cut and deplore routine.
If you have something to say to standards of public
decency to children and women, David, write them.
Otherwise, you may do the other thing." - Phil Innes
(Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:40:30 GMT)
_
_
_
"...
I am not interested in the cut and deplore

routine.
If you have something to say to standards of

public
decency to children and women, David, write

them.
Otherwise, you may do the other thing.

_
I have nothing to say, in a chess newsgroup,
about 'standards of public decency to children
and women'. ..." - David Kane (Mon, 3 Apr 2006
16:43:33 -0700)
_
_
_
"...
I am not interested in the cut and deplore

routine.
If you have something to say to standards of

public
decency to children and women, David, write

them.

_
I am not your boy! I already wrote a basis for an
approach - but no one seems actually interested
enough in the subject to engage it. ..." - Phil Innes
(Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:06:06 GMT)
_
_
_
"It appears Mr. Innes is talking to himself again.
And what's more, he's taking offense at his own
words. How long until he accuses himself of
self-stalking?" - Neil Brennen (4 Apr 2006
16:53:19 -0700)