Old October 19th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Susan Polgar's blog

I have seen references to Susan's heavy-handed dealings with
commentary on her blog. I had never experienced anything like that
and have given her the benefit of a doubt -- until today.

Her blog has an article titled "Ten things you didn't know about Texas
Tech" -- evidently from a local campus newspaper or some such. In it
the following statement is made.

"... In May, Tech checkmated its rivals by hiring the Billie Jean King
of chess. Susan Polgar was the first woman to qualify for the World
Chess Championship and to earn the title of Grandmaster. She will
SPICE up the sport at Tech, running the Susan Polgar Institute for
Chess Excellence ."

I saw this and thought I would see what response would occur if I
supplied the obvious factual correction. Her is what has
transpired...

==================================
Anonymous said...

"In 1978 Gaprindashvili became the first woman to be awarded the
Grandmaster title. She was awarded the title as a result of winning
Lone Pine 1977 against a field of 45 players, mostly grandmasters.
Although she did not meet the technical requirements for the GM Title,
this result was so spectacular that FIDE found it sufficient."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nona_Gaprindashvili

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:45:00 AM
JAL said...

I didn't know about the UFO.

"... she (Gaprindashvili) did not meet the technical requirements
for the GM Title".

FIDE found it sufficient = Yes, FIDE bent rules for its purpose.

Gaprindashvili and Chiburdanidze didn't meet the requirements for
the GM title. They never did.

Enough said.

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:53:00 AM
Anonymous said...

Wiki is the last place I look for correct info.

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:53:00 AM
Anonymous said...

Nona got the International Grandmaster title as a matter of
record. What is the point of running her down?

Friday, October 19, 2007 9:05:00 AM
JAL said...

It's also a matter of record that Nona didn't meet the requirement
no matter how you spin it.

Friday, October 19, 2007 9:09:00 AM
SusanPolgar said...

Let's not get into another 80 posts debate about this issue. Nona
was a great player and she should be respected for everything she has
accomplished. Rules should be applied equally to everyone, including
FIDE rules.

Best wishes,
Susan Polgar
www.ChessDiscussion.com
Friday, October 19, 2007 9:22:00 AM
==================================

At this point, having had the last word, she evidently locked the
thread as my following post was accepted but did not appear.

My censored follow up was essentially this:

"FIDE sets the rules for the International Grandmaster Title. In this
instance they chose to set them differently than they did at later
times. FIDE has changed these rules a number of times. The will
doubtlessly change them again in the future.

Nona earned the IGM title according to the rules that FIDE chose to
apply. That is not spin, it is history.

Que sera, sera."

Needless to say, I was disappointed in Susan's response.

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 19th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 19, 9:44 am, "j.d.walker" wrote:
[...]

I'm disappointed also, but not surprised. It's the sort of distortion
and falsehood typical of the Trollgars and their sycophants.

Old October 19th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 19, 7:53 am, The Historian wrote:
[...]

Hmm, now my response shows up on her blog after someone elses, 30
minutes later...

Given that, I retract half of my disappointment. :^)

The other half has to do with her quibbling over rules to make a claim
that she is the first.

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 19th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 19, 10:44 am, "j.d.walker" wrote:
I have seen references to Susan's heavy-handed dealings with
commentary on her blog. I had never experienced anything like that
and have given her the benefit of a doubt -- until today.

Her blog has an article titled "Ten things you didn't know about Texas
Tech" -- evidently from a local campus newspaper or some such. In it
the following statement is made.

"... In May, Tech checkmated its rivals by hiring the Billie Jean King
of chess. Susan Polgar was the first woman to qualify for the World
Chess Championship and to earn the title of Grandmaster. She will
SPICE up the sport at Tech, running the Susan Polgar Institute for
Chess Excellence ."

Does anyone know what "first woman to qualify for the World
Chess Championship" refers to, exactly? Offhand I would take this to
mean that Susan Polgar was the first woman to participate in the
official men's championship cycle by playing in a Zonal or the
equivalent. This could well be true --- I'm not questioning the
veracity of the statement, I'm just curious about the exact reference.

Larry T.

Old October 19th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.rep-of-georgia,soc.culture.magyar,alt.chess

Thank you for posting this. The original post is at
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007...out-texas.html

Could your or somebody look up the FIDE regulations in effect in 1978.
They will be in the chess informants of that year. I am sure that at
that time there was no rating requirement.

The reason I am sure of this is that in the same year, 1978, Herman
Suradiradja was awarded the GM title and his rating was only 2300. In
addition, he had only one grandmaster norm. That was in a tournament
in Bulgaria in which it was alleged that he had paid his opponents to
dump. Gaprindashvili was easily stronger than Suradiradja, who still
is only rated 2247.

It was because of this scandal involving Suradiradja that FIDE
strengthened the requirements, requiring initially I believe two norms
and a rating of 2400.

Somebody needs to look this up. I believe that Gaprindashvili probably
did meet the requirements in effect in 1977.

Also, could you find out when and where Susan Polgar got her three GM
norms. Even though she was clearly GM strength by 1986 (when I was
involved with her) I do not remember her making any norms.

It is absolutely a fact that Mikhail Tal was awarded the GM title
without having any norms. Perhaps FIDE should take the title away from
him.

Old October 19th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.magyar,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 19, 11:22 am, Larry Tapper wrote:
[...]

I happen to know exactly what it means, because I was personally
involved in this incident.

In 1986, it was announced that the top three players in the Hungarian
Championship would qualify to the zonal tournament to be held in
Warsaw.

None of the top grandmasters in Hungary played in the Hungarian
Championship because they all had already qualified by rating. Thus,
Portisch, Ribli, Andorjan, and Csom did not play.

The tournament was won by Grozpeter. Hazai and Susan Polgar tied for
second.

After the tournament was over, Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, announced that they had made a mistake in
calculating the number of players they were entitled to send to the
zonal in Warsaw and that they were entitled to send only two, not
three, players.

Since Susan Polgar had a half tie-breaking point less than Hazai, she
would not be allowed to go.

I was in Budapest at the time this happened, staying in Susan's
apartment, so I went down to the Hungarian Chess Federation and
protested to Lako, who was the secretary and in charge of the office.
(He was no relation to Peter Leko, the now famous grandmaster).

Lako said basically that Serenyi was in charge and he decided these
things.

Since Grandmaster Csom was the lowest rated player who had been seeded
in by rating, I went to see Csom at a local team match and negotiated
a deal with Benko as the translator for Csom to play a match with
Susan for the extra zonal spot. Csom readily argeed to this, saying
that he did not really want to play in the zonal in Warsaw anyway. I
felt that Susan had a chance to beat Csom. (I also found it odd that
here I was, an American, unfamiliar with the language except that I
could count to ten, negotiating deals with Hungarians when they did
not seem to be speaking to each other.)

I then went to Dubai for the World Chess Olympiad, carrying with me a
signed power of attorney that Susan Polgar and her father, Laszlo, had
given me authorizing me to negotiate deals on her behalf.

In Dubai, one of the other Hungarians who could speak to English
(since Csom could speak no English) came to me and said that Csom had
changed his mind and was not willing to play a match with Polgar for
the zonal spot.

Andorjan then invited me to dinner with himself and Grandmaster Pinter
to explain their side of the story. Also, our grandmaster John
Fedorowicz had a discussion with Grandmaster Portisch about this
issue, with Fedorowicz arguing Susan's cause and Portisch opposed to
Susan.

Finally, I went to Filipowicz who was the organizer of the zonal in
Warsaw and he expressed surprise at this entire controversy, saying
that he had two empty slots for the Warsaw Zonal and he would be most
happy to have Zsuzsa Polgar playing there.

I also went to Florencio Campomanes several times over this issue and
basically he said that he personally would like to see Zsuzsa play in
the Zonal but the Hungarians were adamently oppposed to letting her
play and since FIDE is a federation of federations and the individual
players have no rights, he had no choice but to respect their wishes.

Hugh Myers, who was in Dubai as the editor of the bulletins, informed
me that I had been pressing the case of Polgar so hard that the order
had been given to arrest me and deport me from the UAE, but the edict
had been withdrawn by Campomanes before I could be picked up.

The end result was that Susan Polgar did not get to play in the Zonal
in Warsaw. However, the reason was NOT that she was a woman or that
she was Jewish (as she alleges) but rather in my opinion because she
and her father had alienated the top officials of the Hungarian Chess
Federation, plus the fact that she had one-half SB tie breaking point
less than Hazai.

Old October 19th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.magyar,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 19, 11:24 am, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

And there you have it,Sam. I have no rights as chess player, but as a
member of FIDE, three
passport holders of St Kitts and Nevis have 1/160th of the power.

Why are we fighting? POWER.

Marcus Roberts

Old October 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Oct 19, 11:24 am, samsloan wrote:

In 1986, it was announced that the top three players in the Hungarian
Championship would qualify to the zonal tournament to be held in
Warsaw.

None of the top grandmasters in Hungary played in the Hungarian
Championship because they all had already qualified by rating. Thus,
Portisch, Ribli, Andorjan, and Csom did not play.

The tournament was won by Grozpeter. Hazai and Susan Polgar tied for
second.

After the tournament was over, Sandur Serenyi, President of the
Hungarian Chess Federation, announced that they had made a mistake in
calculating the number of players they were entitled to send to the
zonal in Warsaw and that they were entitled to send only two, not
three, players.

Was this ever verified? How many slots were they
*in fact* entitled to fill?

The end result was that Susan Polgar did not get to play in the Zonal
in Warsaw. However, the reason was NOT that she was a woman or that
she was Jewish (as she alleges) but rather in my opinion because she
and her father had alienated the top officials of the Hungarian Chess
Federation, plus the fact that she had one-half SB tie breaking point
less than Hazai.

A good story. However, there is a gaping hole in
that nothing is presented in the way of explanation
as to how or why the top Hungarian officials (who
aren't even named or numbered) were alienated.

In addition, a little research (don't look at me!)
could verify of refute claims such as "first woman
ever to qualify" or "first woman to earn GM title",
etc. If in fact any of these claims referred only
to the women's title, that ought to be pointed out.
I am left wondering if players like Vera Menchik
or Nona Gaprindishvili ever earned any FIDE
titles or participated in any of the w.c. cycles.

-- lazy bot

Old October 19th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

"NEW requirements for Grandmaster Title (for an International Master
or FIDE Master) a two or more Grandmaster results in events
covering at least 24 games, and a rating of at least 2450 in the
current FIDE rating list." -- Informant #26, 1978

Old October 19th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007...didnt-know-abo...

[...]

Thank you. However, what we need to know is what was the requirement
in 1977 for the Grandmaster title because 1977 is the year in which
Gaprindashvili won Lone Pine thereby qualifying for the Grandmaster
title.

Obvuiously, the new rules in 1978 would not be applied retroactively.