Old October 21st 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Quick interview with GM Evans

Interview with GM Larry Evans during the 25th Western States Open in
Reno, Nevada

From www.chessloser.wordpress.com

October 17th, 2007

In another pathetic attempt at being a semi-legitimate chess blog, I
made an attempt at interviewing a Grand Master. since i wasn't allowed
to play in round three because i suck so much, i spent the time
hanging out in my room and walking around watching real people play
chess. GM Larry Evans was walking by so i snagged him and he agreed to
do the interview with me. he didn't patronize me, he wasn't
condescending, he was genuine and even remembered me from the night
before. he talked with a shiny glint in his eye, but behind that
friendly glint i could see a small fire still burning inside him. the
guy may be old, but he is spry, charismatic, and still full of energy.
i wouldn't **** with him. he only had a few minutes, i was so thrilled
that he would give me a few minutes i didn't want to keep him any
longer than i had to, so we did the 3 minute blitz interview.

(note: these are the actual questions and answers of the interview. i
didn't make any of this up)

Chessloser: ok, first question. chicken or fish?

GM Evans: that's the choice? fish.

CL: Do you lose the artistic expression and creativity at higher
levels? When you get to the master and grand master level, is it all
rote? "in this position, i play here, etc etc"?

GME: There is diminishing artistry, thanks to computers. There was
more creativity back in the old days. Every position, after the
standard openings, is still as unique as a fingerprint, but computers
are taking away the creativity.

CL: Are there any new moves that haven't been played?

GME: Only from computers. Computers are teaching us now.

CL: You are having a dinner party, not playing chess but just talking
and eating. What three chess people, living or dead, would you invite?

GME: Emanuel Lasker for sure. Capablanca for charm. Morphy, because
there are a lot of questions i have to ask him.

CL: If someone would only study one chess player, who would you
recommend?

GME: That's a tough question (thinks for a bit) probably Botvinnik.
(note: i know i should of asked why botvinnik. i wanted to ask why.
but i didn't want to keep the guy any longer because he was busy, so i
decided to forgo actual quality for quantity).

CL: How do you want to be remembered?

GME: As a chess writer who called the shots as he saw 'em.

CL: How long can you hold your breath?

GME: (laughs) i don't know, i never timed it.

CL: do you read any chess blogs? what do you think of them?

GME: I read Mig's daily dirt. i read Chessville, i like the usenet
bulletin boards rec.games.chess.politics and rec.games.chess I also
read chessbase.com, but I don't read the USCF board, it's censcored.

CL: Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

GME: If you play chess as badly as you interview, you need to take up
another hobby. (ok, he didn't say that, but i bet he was thinking it.)

i know this might not tell you too much about the guy, but let me say
this: when i first asked him for his time, he was busy, he mentioned
he doesn't usually give interviews, and although he had places to be
and things to do, he graciously agreed to sit down with me, *me*, some
nobody who he has never heard of or met, with no credentials, for an
interview. he treated me with dignity and respect from beginning to
end. that right there tells you what kind of man Larry Evans is.
anyone can treat a famous, powerful, well connected celebrity with
respect, but your true colors show in how you treat an insignificant
nobody. GM Evans has walked with Kings, but still hasn't lost the
common touch. He's a king in my book.

Old October 21st 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Fromwww.chessloser.wordpress.com

[...]

Larry,

Thanks for posting this interview. I remember how pleased I was to
meet GM Evans in Cambridge Springs three years ago. I can second the
blogger's comments on the good-nature of the five time US Champion.

While on the subject, do you have a copy of the photo taken of me with
GM Evans at Cambridge Springs that you could send me? I've never seen
it. Even though I'm nearly 150 pounds heavier in the photo, I'd still
like to see it.

Old October 21st 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

While on the subject, do you have a copy of the photo taken of me with
GM Evans at Cambridge Springs that you could send me? I've never seen
it. Even though I'm nearly 150 pounds heavier in the photo, I'd still
like to see it. -- The Historian

Neil,

I'm told a hard copy of this photo is available. The company that
syndicates Larry Evans' newspaper column will contact you separately.