Old October 22nd 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Sayings from the Bishop of Sophism

http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/sayings.htm

* Feels superior and must win
* Cannot tolerate the least disagreement.
* Contradicts him/herself and then claims you are confused.
* Is extremely sensitive to personal criticism.
* Is contemptuous and extremely critical of other people.

Naturally, these are qualities of many annoying netizens.

However the quotations indicate one particularly arrogant windbag.

Old October 22nd 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 2:25 am, wrote:
http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/sayings.htm

* Feels superior and must win
* Cannot tolerate the least disagreement.
* Contradicts him/herself and then claims you are confused.
* Is extremely sensitive to personal criticism.
* Is contemptuous and extremely critical of other people.

Naturally, these are qualities of many annoying netizens.

However the quotations indicate one particularly arrogant windbag.

Interesting, just one? :^)

Old October 22nd 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Hmm, mind if I try my hand at a bit of novice wind-baggery?

========================

"Get out of the box and deal with reality."

"A tool that must be used with caution is research. However, it does
serve a useful function -- it can be helpful in enlightening
illiterate boobs."

"Yes, I believe I've got it! I tend to use language exactly!"

"Funny, my friends wonder why I waste time responding to you."

"I don't want this to sound condescending, but you need to look more
than
1 ply deep."

"I don't need a grey beard, and to come from Vienna, to have asked.
You
didn't just pass on being honest, you passed gas on the rule of law."

"Any similarity to rational thought in your last remark is purely
coincidental."

==========================

"I can do this!!" I can become the next Great Windbag!!

Now, what are the prospects for employment as an Internet
Windbag? :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 22nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 7:19 am, "j.d.walker" wrote:
[...]

First you must move to Brattleboro, Vermont.

Old October 22nd 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 7:15 am, "j.d.walker" wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:25 am, wrote:

http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/sayings.htm

* Feels superior and must win
* Cannot tolerate the least disagreement.
* Contradicts him/herself and then claims you are confused.
* Is extremely sensitive to personal criticism.
* Is contemptuous and extremely critical of other people.

Naturally, these are qualities of many annoying netizens.

However the quotations indicate one particularly arrogant windbag.

Interesting, just one? :^)

This sounds like some of the things that Kevin Bachler writes.

Old November 10th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Windbag == Fool

j.d.walker wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:25 am, wrote:
http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/sayings.htm

* Feels superior and must win
* Cannot tolerate the least disagreement.
* Contradicts him/herself and then claims you are confused.
* Is extremely sensitive to personal criticism.
* Is contemptuous and extremely critical of other people.

Naturally, these are qualities of many annoying netizens.

However the quotations indicate one particularly arrogant windbag.

Interesting, just one? :^)

Oh, oh! Quoting myself is surely a bad sign... :^" At one time I
thought the above discussion of blow hards was amusing and tried to
fashion a few statements along these lines. I have also toyed with the
notion of trying to elevate the style of insults invoked in this
newsgroup. But I ran across a piece of etymology that has set me to new
and more serious reflections. What follows is taken from:

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/843

=====
fool
1. Someone who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.
2. A person who acts unwisely on a given occasion: "He was a fool to
have quit his job."
3. One who has been tricked or made to appear ridiculous; a dupe: "They
made a fool of me by pretending I had won the contest."
4. Informal, a person with a talent or enthusiasm for a certain
activity; such as, a singing fool.
5. A member of a royal or noble household who provided entertainment, as
with jokes or antics; a jester.
6. Any one who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social
conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.
7. A dessert made of stewed or puréed fruit mixed with cream or custard
and served cold.
8. Archaic: A mentally deficient person; an idiot.
Etymological formations

From about 1275, from Old French fol, "madman, insane person"; also, an
adjective meaning "mad, insane" from Latin follis, "bellows, leather
bag", in Vulgar Latin, used with a sense of "a windbag, an empty-headed
person".

The pejorative nature of the term fool is strengthened by a knowledge of
its etymology. Its source, the Latin word follis, meant “a bag or sack,
a large inflated ball, a pair of bellows.” Users of the word in Late
Latin, however, saw a resemblance between the bellows or the inflated
ball and someone who was what people now call “a windbag” or “an airhead”.

The word, which passed into English by way of French, is first recorded
in English in a work written around the beginning of the 13th century
(Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) with the sense “a foolish, a stupid", or
"an ignorant person.”
—The American Heritage Dictionary and The Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology
=====

Consequently, I believe I shall, contrary to my earlier tomfoolery, try
to steer a more sober and judicious course through the confusion,
controversy, and dangers of the discourse in this newsgroup. I'd rather
not look in the mirror and see a smug windbag looking back at me...

'O! Wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see Ourselves as Ithers see us.'
-- Burns

Cheers,
Rev. J.D. Walker, U.C.

'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil.'
-- (Exodus 23:2)
'It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society.'
-- Jiddu Krishnamurti