Old October 23rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Spoof these headers! (Who wants to be the Fake Theodulf?)

Since the Mottershead report came out, there have been disputes about
how easy it is to spoof IP addresses and agent strings. Some people
say it's difficult, and some people (those who are arguing that the
Mottershead report does not constitute strong evidence that Paul
Truong is the FSS poster) say it's easy.

Even if it were easy, I still don't see how the FSS poster would be
able to figure out what IP address and what agent string to spoof, in
his endless quest to frame Paul Truong, continually matching Mr.
Truong's strings as he goes from one city to another and one computer
to another. But leaving that issue aside, it just struck me (I feel
silly that it took this long) that instead of arguing about it
academically, it's easy enough to test.

So here I am, the Real Theodulf. Here is a USENET post. When it goes
up it will have some IP address and some agent string - God knows
what, I don't. But if they're so easy to copy, then someone else can
copy them. Who wants to prove that it's easy to spoof IP addresses
and agent strings? I hereby give anyone who can do it *limited
permission* to post as a Fake Theodulf *in reply to this message*.

Gregory? Are you there?

Old October 23rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 6:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Convince me that you are really you first!

Old October 23rd 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 9:07 pm, wrote:
...So here I am, the Real Theodulf. Here is a USENET post. When it goes
up it will have some IP address and some agent string - God knows
what, I don't. But if they're so easy to copy, then someone else can
copy them. Who wants to prove that it's easy to spoof IP addresses
and agent strings? I hereby give anyone who can do it *limited
permission* to post as a Fake Theodulf *in reply to this message*.

Gregory? Are you there?

An inspired idea, Theodulf!

Quine wrote about Five Milestones of Empiricism --- in my book, this
would be the sixth.

LT

Old October 24th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 22, 9:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Peter,

In our quest for secrecy, it is interesting that more chess players
are choosing to use Anonymizer Products as a result of the spotlight
on this issue. Since it appears we are told such faking is so simple
any technical kid knows how, is the challenge to exactly duplicate
only two of your headers or to also make it look like you posted from
Google? Further, it would be useful to know how the continual matching
issue can be easily done.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old October 26th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Ho ho! I have done it! I have faked everything!

wait

No, sorry, false alarm. This is still the original Theodulf here.

I am only writing to point out that, although several days have gone
by and Paul Truong is on record saying that "a child" can fake IP
addresses in USENET posts, apparently only adults read this newsgroup
(a good thing probably) and nobody has taken up the challenge. At
least two people in the USCF forums who have argued that the
Mottershead Report doesn't prove anything have, nevertheless, declined
to participate; I suppose this is just too simple a problem to engage
their interest.

Wayne: if Truong is being framed, the framer must have been able to
both spoof the IP and agent string AND make the posts look like they
came through Google. So one has to do both in order to get "full
credit". However, I will award "partial credit" to anyone who is able
to spoof the NNTP-host header at all.

Th.

Old October 28th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:07:27 -0700, wrote:

[...]

This one has the following headers:

Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics