Old October 24th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default International Chess Politics

Why does this group seem so dominated by posters from the United
States? I'd be curious to know more about political news/opinions of
FIDE, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, China and so
on... India and China have large populations of English speakers...
Are there other news groups where these regions/topics are covered?

Bringing other viewpoints to this group might have the benign effect
of diluting some of the lunacy we sometimes have here... :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 25th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 24, 5:15 pm, "j.d.walker" wrote:
Why does this group seem so dominated by posters from the United
States? I'd be curious to know more about political news/opinions of
FIDE, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, China and so
on... India and China have large populations of English speakers...
Are there other news groups where these regions/topics are covered?

Bringing other viewpoints to this group might have the benign effect
of diluting some of the lunacy we sometimes have here... :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

There have been a number of posters in other countries who post here,
but they rarely write about the chess politics in their own countries,
perhaps because the Ministry of Sports in most countries regulate
chess.

There have been posters here from Germany, Russia, Poland, Yugoslavia,
Ukraine, Holland, India and England.

Old October 25th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 24, 7:56 pm, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

The problem is that with Olympic Committee funding there is
censorship. Note that as the FIDE Delegate
of St Kitts and Nevis, I still have no formal credentials, and if I
did, everything I said would be used against
me by FIDE. Of course, this sitaution goes two ways. The bottom line
is there are few wealthy
chess players with IOC funding on the above countires, and they are
generally fearful of their government.

Secondly, this group is so pro USA, it turns off the other western
nations.

Marcus Roberts