Old October 26th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default Texas Tech too finds conflict of interest in Susan Polgar

Here is a posting from the Daily Toreador, the campus newspaper of
Texas Tech University at http://www.dailytoreador.com comment 10 under
the heading "Lawsuit creates problems for local chess tournament" :

Law
posted 10/25/07 @ 3:56 PM CST
Sam Said:
"Eric Moscow called Susan Polgar and said that rather than give the
money directly to her, he would give it to Texas Tech University
earmarked to be used for Susan's programs. Susan rejected this
proposal, stating that she wanted the million dollars to be given
directly to her. Dr. Moskow did not like this and for that reason
canceled his sponsorship programs EXCEPT FOR the Reshevsky Memorial."

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe it is - then that is
disturbing. Isn't part of Susan Polgar's job to raise money for the
University to further college chess? Rejecting a donation go to Tech
instead of her organization raises all kinds of conflict of interest
and duty of loyalty issues. I still think this lawsuit is going to
blow up in Mr. Sloan's face."

The posting above points out a problem many have noticed. While
running for election, Susan Polgar stated 72 times on her blog that if
elected she would bring in one million dollars in sponsorship money
from Dr. Eric Moskow FOR THE USCF. Here is an example of her making
this claim:
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007...with-uscf.html

However, now it seems that Texas Tech thought that they were going to
get the one million dollars from Dr. Moskow. That is why they hired
her.

Now, it turns out that Susan Polgar planned to get the one million
dollars FOR HERSELF. Upon learning this, Dr. Moskow has canceled all
sponsorship of her programs.

Meanwhile, on her blog, Susan complains that this entire affair is one
giant conspiracy to stop girls from playing chess.

Whom do you believe?

Old October 26th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Sam Said:
[...]

Sam Sloan

I believe Dr. Moskow.

If Susan Polgar is an employee of Texas Tech, and has turned down 1
million dollars
for the University, then she should be FIRED.

You can't blame sponsor. Anyone who gives Susan money now gets tied
into
criminal behavior. Giving the money to Texas Tech was a reasonable
solution,
Susan appears worried about getting fired, doesn't she.....

Marcus Roberts

Old October 26th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Old October 26th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Old October 26th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Old October 26th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On Oct 25, 7:25 pm, wrote:

The posting above points out a problem many have noticed. While
running for election, Susan Polgar stated 72 times on her blog that if
elected she would bring in one million dollars in sponsorship money
from Dr. Eric Moskow FOR THE USCF. Here is an example of her making
this claim:http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007...with-uscf.html

As far as I can tell, the grave difficulties many of these writers
have with English (or perhaps, just carelessness in conjunction
with laziness) makes it very difficult to determine /precisely/ the
meaning intended, in order to verify the above claim from that
example.

Now, it turns out that Susan Polgar planned to get the one million
dollars FOR HERSELF. Upon learning this, Dr. Moskow has canceled all
sponsorship of her programs.

I believe Dr. Moskow.

If Susan Polgar is an employee of Texas Tech, and has turned down 1
million dollars for the University, then she should be FIRED.

Yup.

When I read the example provided by Mr. Sloan at the top
of this post, my first reaction was: why does she want the
USCF to "send" her or PT to Florida? And the natural answer
was "because that way, the USCF foots the bill for the trip".

Reading further down, "Anonymous" wrote:
--------

Susan, regarding the million-dollar donor, which is obviously
Eric Moskow, I don't get your complaint.

If he doesn't want to have anything to do with the USCF, or
anybody on the Executive Board of the USCF, and he only
wants to talk to Paul and/or you, why does the USCF have
to "send" Paul to go to talk to him.

Why don't you just go and talk to him.
---------

I stopped reading right there. I think this speaks for
itself.

-- help bot

Old October 26th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

samsloan wrote:

The posting above points out a problem many have noticed. While
running for election, Susan Polgar stated 72 times on her blog that if
elected she would bring in one million dollars in sponsorship money
from Dr. Eric Moskow FOR THE USCF. Here is an example of her making
this claim:
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007...with-uscf.html

I have never visited SP's blog until today, and my impression is
that it is chock-a-block full of lies and self-promoting B.S.

If you took someone who knew nothing about the world of chess,
and had them read all her stuff, that person would almost certainly
concluded that SP was the greatest chessplayer alive!

After ingesting entire pages of this B.S., I went to chessmetrics
just to see if my memory was playing tricks on me. First I looked
up the ratings graph of Susan Polgar, and sure enough, nowhere
on the page did it mention her nine bazillion "accomplishments",
just that she never made it to 2650 (and that she appears to be
about kaput nowadays).

Then I checked her sister, Sofia, just for the heck of it: it looks
like Suzan was definitely the stronger player, in spite of a fluke
performance in Rome of 2700+.

Last, I punched in Judith Polgar -- the girl who in my memory
was /by far/ the strongest female player, ever. Not the idiot who
laid claim to women's titles while deliberately failing to mention
that they were only women's titles; not the self-worshiping nitwit
who pretended that some blitz tourney at the U.S. Open meant
anything, when it is the *Closed* tourney that counts. Not Susan,
but Judith Polgar. What I found matched what I remembered: it
is and nearly always was Judith, not Susan, who kicked butt and
took names in the world of chess.

One can only hope that it was perhaps Paul Truong who
constructed the Web site, that someone else besides SP
inserted all those lies and all the huffing and puffing about her
supposed greatness. But still, it is /her/ Web site. Yech.

-- help bot

Old October 26th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Old October 26th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess