Old October 26th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Really Learn Spanish by Joe Tamargo is out !!

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, (Sam Sloan) wrote:
Really Learn Spanish by Joe Tamargo is out !!

The much awaited book, "Really Learn Spanish", has just been published
by Ishi Press International.

To be on-topic, you need the word 'the' between 'learn' & 'Spanish'.

Old October 26th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Oct 26, 6:22 am, Offramp wrote:
On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, (Sam Sloan) wrote:

Really Learn Spanish by Joe Tamargo is out !!

The much awaited book, "Really Learn Spanish", has just been published
by Ishi Press International.

To be on-topic, you need the word 'the' between 'learn' & 'Spanish'.

A valid point. Somebody else already wrote me that before my email, he
thought that Tamargo's book was about the Ruy Lopez, since Tamargo is
a chess master and "The Spanish" is an alternate name for the "Ruy
Lopez" chess opening.

Old October 26th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
On Oct 26, 6:22 am, Offramp wrote:
On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, (Sam Sloan) wrote:
Really Learn Spanish by Joe Tamargo is out !!

The much awaited book, "Really Learn Spanish", has just been
published by Ishi Press International.

To be on-topic, you need the word 'the' between 'learn' &
'Spanish'.

A valid point. Somebody else already wrote me that before my email, he
thought that Tamargo's book was about the Ruy Lopez, since Tamargo is
a chess master and "The Spanish" is an alternate name for the "Ruy
Lopez" chess opening.

And because you were posting about it in a chess newsgroup, for ****'s
sake. Your book has nothing to do with chess. Do not post about it
here. It really is that simple.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Natural Miniature Beer (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a refreshing lager but you can hold
Old October 26th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Apparently you are not aware that Joe Tamargo is a famous chess
master.

Old October 26th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
Apparently you are not aware that Joe Tamargo is a famous chess
master.

Sam Sloan

Perhaps you were not aware that he's not *that* famous.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

Old October 26th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Oct 26, 11:54 am, Kenneth Sloan wrote:
samsloan wrote:
Apparently you are not aware that Joe Tamargo is a famous chess
master.

Sam Sloan

Perhaps you were not aware that he's not *that* famous.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170 http://KennethRSloan.com/

He is most famous for beating Jackie Beers, Fischer's friend.

Old October 26th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
Apparently you are not aware that Joe Tamargo is a famous chess
master.
Sam Sloan

Perhaps you were not aware that he's not *that* famous.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170 http://KennethRSloan.com/

He is most famous for beating Jackie Beers, Fischer's friend.

My point, exactly.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old October 26th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
Apparently you are not aware that Joe Tamargo is a famous chess
master.
Sam Sloan
Perhaps you were not aware that he's not *that* famous.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170 http://KennethRSloan.com/

He is most famous for beating Jackie Beers, Fischer's friend.

My point, exactly.

Right, but if you're looking for a reason to chide Sam for cross-
posting, it would be easy to find a thousand examples better than this
one.

This announcement actually caught my eye because I remember Joe
Tamargo from occasional visits to the Flea House in the 60s. I last
saw him about 25 years ago and I was happy to hear that he's still
with us and writing. I'll probably order the book if and when it shows
up on Amazon. I could use a Spanish refresher course, though not
necessarily the kind that will get me thrown out of bars...

LT

Old October 26th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
[...]

The book is available right now on Amazon, today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/092389179X

The book is really excellent. Tamargo is an old friend and I promised
to publish it two years ago before he wrote it, as a favor not
thinking much would come of it, but it turns out that the book is
really great, possibly the best book of its kind ever written.

Old November 12th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

When I ordered this book from Amazon, I didn't have particularly high
expectations. But now that I have it, I'm enjoying it immensely. It's
like getting several informal Spanish lessons from an urbane and witty
dinner companion.

Sam, please pass my compliments on to Joe. He and I had a couple of
brief conversations in the Game Room around 1980, but unless he has a
Brandwein-like memory, he probably wouldn't remember me.

Larry T.