Old October 29th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Feline Curiousity...

While scouting about the Internet I noticed a 2007 Spring report that
noted both Susan Polgar's stealth marriage to Paul Truong and also an
event where she was awarded an honorary doctorate from Texas Tech
University. Such things tend to stir my curiosity.

What field of knowledge was the doctorate for? Can we now address her
as Dr. Polgar? Or, should we use her other new title, Mrs. Truong?
Or, will she be exclusively GM Susan Polgar for promotional reasons?
Or, is there a special protocol for determining which title to use
when??

At one time, there was some controversy about Paul and a doctorate. I
don't know what the true state of affairs is there. However, it does
lead to another bit of curiosity. If perchance Paul also received an
honorary doctorate at some point, then on formal occasions, should we
refer to the couple as "The Honorable Doctors Paul and Susan Truong?"
Curious minds want to know!

**Here is hoping that the Great Pumpkin will bless the US chess
community!!

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 29th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:15:21 -0000, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

Can we now address her as Dr. Polgar?

AFAIK, it's socially incorrect to use this form of address for an
honorary doctorate.

At one time, there was some controversy about Paul and a doctorate. I
don't know what the true state of affairs is there.

Some time ago in this group, in the thread, "Hoainhan "Paul" Truong
and the Last Helicopter out of Vietnam" I made inquiries along the
same lines,and Truong replied:

quote
....I doubt that even one person can claim I said that I have a PhD. I
have never made this claim to anyone. It is typical of SS fabricate
things to mislead the readers. ... I have no idea who made that
website. I certainly did not. I would not doubt that it came from the
same person who fabricated my resume. SS is the biggest serial liar
and he has no ability to be honest. I suggested to the USCF a number
of times to require a verified resume to run for the board. I would
have been more than happy to provide mine for verification. However,
they declined. I hope I have made this matter clear. It was a complete
fabrication by SS ...
/quote
Old October 29th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:
[...]

A bit of follow up: I see that one can purchase an honorary doctorate
online. They don't state the price, but suggest it is aimed at the
common man rather than the wealthy. As part of their marketing they,
they claim that it entitles the recipient to call himself "Dr." or
"Doctor."

I don't know. Pretty tempting, but I think I will wait a few months;
perhaps the price will drop and I can buy one from a gum ball
machine. :^)

It might be kinda snappy to be known as a Doctor of Chess! Check out:

http://www.cosmoedu.net/hcproject.html

I wonder if the same outfit will sell honorary GM titles one day? Now
there is a racket. :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 29, 12:15 pm, "j.d.walker" wrote:
While scouting about the Internet I noticed a 2007 Spring report that
noted both Susan Polgar's stealth marriage to Paul Truong

Sounds like you weren't invited.

and also an
event where she was awarded an honorary doctorate from Texas Tech
University. Such things tend to stir my curiosity.

What field of knowledge was the doctorate for?

When you scout about the internet, you don't mess around. The degree
was in Human Letters.

Can we now address her
as Dr. Polgar?

Why not? She can be addressed as "Dr." if she wants to be. Nothing
illegal about it and I doubt there is anything morally or ethically
wrong with using the Dr. title for an honorary degree in Human
Letters. She has that right. She was legitimately awarded the
doctorate, after all. You got any doctorates (legit or otherwise) you
want to tell us about?

Or, should we use her other new title, Mrs. Truong?
Or, will she be exclusively GM Susan Polgar for promotional reasons?
Or, is there a special protocol for determining which title to use
when??

You stay up at night wondering about this?

Old October 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 29, 1:57 pm, "j.d.walker" wrote:

A bit of follow up: I see that one can purchase an honorary doctorate
online. They don't state the price, but suggest it is aimed at the
common man rather than the wealthy.

Lucky you!

As part of their marketing they,
they claim that it entitles the recipient to call himself "Dr." or
"Doctor."

You could call yourself "doctor" even without the degree. What's
stopping you?

I don't know. Pretty tempting,

For a mere $2K (probably) you could buy that degree and put it on your
resume to get a better job and in some states you'll go to jail.
Tempting indeed!

http://www.cosmoedu.net/hcproject.html

I wonder if the same outfit will sell honorary GM titles one day? Now
there is a racket. :^)

Why not just award yourself the honorary GM title since it would have
as much validity as one from this outfit.

Cheers,
J.D. Walker- Hide quoted text -

Old October 29th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 29, 1:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmmph! $2K is outrageous. I won't pay it. If they don't sell them
in gum ball machines or make them surprise toys in Cracker Jacks boxes
then I will probably emulate that famous Doctor of Journalism, Hunter
S Thompson. He turned to the Universal Life Church for his title.
One could become a PhD and a minister able to perform marriages at the
same time! Probably for less than $60.00.

But... First, I need to investigate purchasing a Knighthood ... :^)

Cheers,
J.D. Walker

Old October 29th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:17:41 -0000, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

Hmmmph! $2K is outrageous. I won't pay it. If they don't sell them
in gum ball machines or make them surprise toys in Cracker Jacks boxes
then I will probably emulate that famous Doctor of Journalism, Hunter
S Thompson. He turned to the Universal Life Church for his title.
One could become a PhD and a minister able to perform marriages at the
same time! Probably for less than $60.00.

Much less. As I remember, I paid about twenty and got a nice
reflective ID card and a certificate suitable for framing. Modestly,
however, I chose the simple "Reverend", as opposed to Bishop or
Cardinal or Grand Rabbi, all of which were available for the same
price.

I've performed only one wedding. Am considering branching into
exorcism and would consider funerals. Faith healing, while
potentially more lucrative, seems to push the boundaries. A man's got
to have some standards.
Old October 30th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:
[...]

Exorcism could prove quite useful in the current crisis as it seems
that many on all sides of the impostor issue may be possessed by
malign forces!! I'll not comment about the utility of funeral
services at this time...

Cheers,
J.D. Walker