Old November 4th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Watch the Board Meeting Now

Watch the USCF Executive Board meeting right now at
http://drpain.camstreams.com/

Old November 5th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 4, 10:26 am, samsloan wrote:
Watch the USCF Executive Board meeting right now athttp://drpain.camstreams.com/

Sam Sloan

I think that everybody who watched the meeting on the webcam was
astounded by how much BSing and aimless bantering took place and how
rarely was there any serious discussion of any important subject. Many
wondered why we were using USCF dues money to fly seven board members
in from all over the country to sit around the table in such a time-
wasting and unproductive meeting.

By the way, I am not exactly a big fan of Paul Truong but he stayed on
topic and had more of relevance to say than most of the other board
members at the meeting.

Old November 5th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:

I think that everybody who watched the meeting on the webcam was
astounded by how much BSing and aimless bantering took place and how
rarely was there any serious discussion of any important subject. Many
wondered why we were using USCF dues money to fly seven board members
in from all over the country to sit around the table in such a time-
wasting and unproductive meeting.

My guess would be that somebody (read: B. Goichberg and/or S. Polgar
and P. Truong) wanted to mess with the process of the next election,
keep a certain irritant away. Since there obviously are zero
consequences
for squandering USCF members' dues like this, why not give it a shot?
It's
not like those responsible will even become known (look at this report
by
Mr. Sloan: he doesn't seem to have even a clue who is responsible).

In my very limited experience of these things, a couple of people
will
show up who have "plans" they want implemented, and it should surprise
no one that these plans often entail making money (or something
similar)
for its proposer(s). If you think the way the USCF is run stinks, you
might
be surprised to learn that some local chess organizations are even
worse.
There are people who will run for office just to steal as much money
from
members as they possibly can, while those for whom money is not a big
concern may use the position for power, fame, or personal vendettas.

As for flying people "from all over the country", do I detect a note
of
indignation that other parts of the USA are represented? Is this the
same
righteous indignation I detected in some writings by LP -- who seems
care about the cost of the new building mainly as a means of
retaliation
for the USCF HQ having dared to move beyond the northeastern states?
If so, try to get a grip; this is after all, not the New York Chess
Federation,
but the United States Chess Federation (and that includes Alaska and
Hawaii). Speaking of HI, I think all winter meetings should be
conducted
there, but the organization could save a lot of money be eschewing
plane
tickets in favor of a small, fuel-efficient boat out of L.A. About
enough
fuel to get half-way there -- and remove the oars before launching.

-- helpful bot

Old November 5th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

PETE TAMBURRO AGREES WITH SAM!

Sam,

As much as it astounds me to agree with you, I have to concur that the
meeting was poorly run. I could not watch the whole thing, but of what
I observed, it dismayed me that nobody there can run a meeting or
prepare for one at that. Some specifics that jumped right out at me:

1. The most horrible moment for me as a former president of several
organizations (not chess), is when the president would ask questions
of his ED. You never ask questions at a public meeting of your chief
operations officer unless you know the answers ahead of time. Then, it
got worse as the ED apparently didn't have them as specifically as he
should have.The two should have discussed that exchange and prepared
it in advance. At least let's look organized and knowledgeable in
public. Maybe there is a (not so) hidden agenda here--trying to make
the ED look bad.

2. The amount of time wasted on aimless conversation. It indicates
lack of planning in the agenda formation and the lack of a competent
hand in running the meeting. And the president just rambles on
himself, so what can you expect?

3.The argument over where to meet. Talk about something that should
have been handled by phone. I loved Troung's plaintive reply that he
could go to 49 other states. There should be a proposed list of sites
and dates sent to the board for the year, and if anyone had any
problems with them, they could contact the president and let him know
that. How hard is that? Instead we get to look stupid as an
organization with fellow board members making dark references as to
why T. could not go there. Again, is this done just to embarrass other
board members?

4. I'm sorry I missed the buy your way onto the board proposal and the
one through ten ranking thing, but just when we get more democracy in
the uscf, we now have a president that wants to go from one man-one
vote to one man-50K? And of course you are right about the ranking,
but it would bring chaos for all, not just weird candidates like you,
Sam. A candidate could ask his supporters to put his closest rival
last in the rankings, never mind some "outsider." People bullet vote
now as it is. Back to process, though: the only proposals that should
make such a meeting are proposals from committees that have studied
the matter and have a report. Also, the chair of those committees
should at least be in telephone contact during the meeting. And the EB
members should not be those chairs.

Thanks for letting us know about the internet show, Sam. I'm sorry I
couldn't watch it all, but, then again, maybe that was for the best! I
doubt if I could have taken much more. The more the board is run this
way, the more credible you start to look. That's their greatest error!

Pete

Old November 5th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 4, 9:38 pm, samsloan wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:26 am, samsloan wrote:

Watch the USCF Executive Board meeting right now athttp://drpain.camstreams.com/

Sam Sloan

I think that everybody who watched the meeting on the webcam was
astounded by how much BSing and aimless bantering took place and how
rarely was there any serious discussion of any important subject. Many
wondered why we were using USCF dues money to fly seven board members
in from all over the country to sit around the table in such a time-
wasting and unproductive meeting.

Goodness, it was awful. I had no idea the USCF EB meetings were so
poorly run. Have they always been train-wrecks, or was this just a bad
day?