Old November 5th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

Default The Alien Mothership & the Zombie

Greetings friends,

People criticize Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, president of FIDE as being a
bit of an alien abduction nut. The story is known around the world.
Here is an example that appeared in The Guardian:

'Life is not all plain sailing for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, the flamboyant
leader of the Russian republic of Kalmykia. For a start, his
Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit II needs constant repairs thanks to the
rutted roads of his impoverished fiefdom. And then there is the
danger
of alien abduction. He has already been pressganged into one trip on
UFO - in 1997 when he was on a business trip to Moscow. "They took me
from my apartment and we went aboard their ship," he says, sitting in
his office in Kalmykia's capital, Elista. "We flew to some kind of
star.
They put a spacesuit on me, told me many things and showed me around.
They wanted to demonstrate that UFOs do exist."'
-- 'King of Kalmykia,' by Tom Parfitt
Thursday September 21, 2006
The Guardian

To be fair, we might want to compare this to something closer to home
that we are familiar with, say Scientology. Here is what Wikipedia
reports about "Xenu," alien demigod, of this U.S. based religion.

'Xenu (also Xemu), pronounced ['zi.nu:], according to Scientology
founder L. Ron Hubbard, was the dictator of the "Galactic
Confederacy"
who, 75 million years ago, brought billions[1] of his people to Earth
in DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed
them
using hydrogen bombs. Scientology holds that their essences remained,
and that they form around people in modern times, causing them
spiritual harm.'

'These events are known to Scientologists as "Incident II", and the
traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire. The
story of Xenu is part of Scientologist teachings on extraterrestrial
civilizations and alien interventions in Earthly events, collectively
described as space opera by Hubbard. Hubbard detailed the story in
Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, warning that this
material
was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia etc) anyone who attempts to
solve it."[sic]'
-- Xenu, Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

To my mind, Kirsan's story seems no more exceptional than that of
Scientology. What is it that makes a story seem outlandish? If one
comes from a differing culture or a critical sub-culture, then
accepted
tradition may take on a whole new aura of outlandishness. A case
in point, the following quote is taken from a vocal critic
of Christianity:

'Let me get this straight: You believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie
who was his own father will let you live forever if you pretend to
eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically tell him that
you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from
your soul that he put there a long time ago as punishment for all
humanity because a rib-woman made from a dust-man was convinced by
a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.'
-- Al Klein (alt.atheism) 2 Nov 2007

Rather pointed I'd say. What is one to make of this? My conclusion
is that there are many points of view out there. It pays to
recheck one's assumptions periodically. Perhaps one of my critics,
or your critics, has a better, but critical view of one of our
beliefs.
As chess players, we want to recognize our mistakes and to learn from
them to become more skillful. This applies in life as well.

As for Kirsan, I wouldn't vote for him -- given the chance. Maybe
one day I'll vote for one of you. :^)

Cheers,
Rev. J.D. Walker, U.C.

'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil.'
-- (Exodus 23:2)
'It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society.'
-- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Old November 5th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

"j.d.walker" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

And we have George W. Bush. Who are we Americans to laugh at the poor
people of Kalmykia? Indeed, they may laugh at us!

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism."
-Sir William Osler 1849-1919
Old November 5th 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

"j.d.walker" wrote in message
oups.com...

Greetings friends,

People criticize Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, president of FIDE as being a
bit of an alien abduction nut. The story is known around the world.
Here is an example that appeared in The Guardian:

What a load.
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Old November 5th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 02:32:49 -0000, "j.d.walker"
wrote:

'Let me get this straight: You believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie
who was his own father will let you live forever if you pretend to
eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically tell him that
you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from
your soul that he put there a long time ago as punishment for all
humanity because a rib-woman made from a dust-man was convinced by
a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.'
-- Al Klein (alt.atheism) 2 Nov 2007

Please don't misquote me. The actual source I quoted was "- Unknown"
--
Al at Webdingers dot com
"Atheism is the world of reality, it is reason, it is freedom. Atheism is
Old November 5th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the correction.

Old November 5th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

On Nov 4, 9:32 pm, "j.d.walker" wrote:

'Let me get this straight: You believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie
who was his own father will let you live forever if you pretend to
eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically tell him that
you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from
your soul that he put there a long time ago as punishment for all
humanity because a rib-woman made from a dust-man was convinced by
a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.'
-- Al Klein (alt.atheism) 2 Nov 2007

Hey. This is great. I never read this before. Thank you for pointing
this out.

Old November 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

On 5 Nov 2007 03:38:13 GMT, Enkidu wrote:

"j.d.walker" wrote in
roups.com:

[...]

Those who don't consider the "God" myth to be any more realistic than
the "UFO" myth probably do.
--
Al at Webdingers dot com
"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example
Old November 5th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

On Nov 5, 11:46 am, Al Klein wrote:
[...]

- John Adams- Hide quoted text -

I believe in GOD, and I believe in UFO's. I just have the common sense
keep my damn mouth shut on those issues.

Religion or Aliens, it always makes people mad.

Marcus Roberts

Old November 6th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.atheism

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:19:57 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Until now!!

Religion or Aliens, it always makes people mad.

It makes sane people frustrated that gullible undereducated folk fall
for such patent rubbbish.