Old November 7th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Off with their heads; Off with their heads--Bill Hall

From the USCF Announcements Forum. Note that this was implemented PRIOR to
posting with no warning or opportunity to be heard. Censors are hard at
work trying to protect the USCF's Presidium.

Effective Monday, November 5, 2007, the following users have been placed in
the Moderation Queue, as per Mr. Hall's directive, as a result of repeated
AUG violations:

Brenan
Brian Lafferty

Old November 7th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 7, 7:11 am, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
From the USCF Announcements Forum. Note that this was implemented PRIOR to
posting with no warning or opportunity to be heard. Censors are hard at
work trying to protect the USCF's Presidium.

Effective Monday, November 5, 2007, the following users have been placed in
the Moderation Queue, as per Mr. Hall's directive, as a result of repeated
AUG violations:

Brenan

Please note, this is NOT me.

Brian Lafferty

Old November 7th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 7, 6:11 am, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
From the USCF Announcements Forum. Note that this was implemented PRIOR to
posting with no warning or opportunity to be heard. Censors are hard at
work trying to protect the USCF's Presidium.

Effective Monday, November 5, 2007, the following users have been placed in
the Moderation Queue, as per Mr. Hall's directive, as a result of repeated
AUG violations:

Brenan
Brian Lafferty

Judge Lafferty gets held in contempt. I wonder who will have the last
laugh...

Marcus Roberts

Old November 8th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

CIRCLING THE WAGONS

One is certainly disappointed in Joel Channing's behavior at the
last Board meeting. I had rated him, along with Sam Sloan, as our two
finest Board members. He may still be a positive influence, but his
comments about Donna Alarie, who has brought up disturbing news
indeed, were uncalled for.

To the man's credit, he has apologized.

Bill Hall does not deserve to be fired for blowing his top. We
all do that. On the other hand, notice how he handled the problem.
He attacked the questioners rather than the argument.

The Board is circling the wagons. No doubt about that.

DID EVERYONE NOTICE THIS POINT: Joel Channing criticized Donna
Alarie for searching the warehouse for records. Amazing!

Now, then, if this Board and the current ED were to be
impeached, surely one reason for doing so would be the necessity to
search for the basics about USCF finance and government in a
warehouse.

The shame is on Joel Channing and the Board for mismanagement of
records and FAILING TO PUT THE MATTER RIGHT.

The shame is not on Donna Alarie for searching.

Yours, Larry Parr

From the USCF Announcements Forum. Note that this was implemented PRIOR to

Old November 8th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Nov 8, 9:47 am, " wrote:

Bill Hall does not deserve to be fired for blowing his top. We
all do that. On the other hand, notice how he handled the problem.
He attacked the questioners rather than the argument.

At these words from Larry Parr, the rich aroma of intense irony
rises like smoke from burning tires. Next we will hear from Jefferson
Davis, criticizing Abraham Lincoln for being pro-slavery.

Old November 8th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 8, 9:47 am, " wrote:

Bill Hall does not deserve to be fired for blowing his top. We
all do that. On the other hand, notice how he handled the problem.
He attacked the questioners rather than the argument.

At these words from Larry Parr, the rich aroma of intense irony
rises like smoke from burning tires.

Everone to their own taste[less analogies], Mr. Kingston.

Next we will hear from Jefferson
Davis, criticizing Abraham Lincoln for being pro-slavery.

If that is your nearest analogy, then it is at least an improvement over
Mussolini, Stalin &C

---

I thought this was the pecant part of the post:

"Now, then, if this Board and the current ED were to be
impeached, surely one reason for doing so would be the necessity to
search for the basics about USCF finance and government in a
warehouse." //Larry Parr.

Which needs no other comment, except to add that the rented wharehouse also
contains USCF's archives of everything - including those bequeathed items
sent to it from players all around the country, and even Canada.

How sad it was to read a Canadian message about a chess archive given to
USCF being sold on e-Bay!

The issue as first put contrasts yet more personality comments from Mr. Hall
with anything that might be confused with a topical substance.

Perhaps that 'substance' too is now banned by Fide, in case anyone breathes
in Kingston's tire pyre and catches irony, intense irony, even?

Phil Innes
Vermont

Old November 8th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
SBD SBD is offline

On Nov 8, 10:02 am, "Chess One" wrote:

How sad it was to read a Canadian message about a chess archive given to
USCF being sold on e-Bay!

I believe you've made this statement a few times. I shop ebay
regularly, primarily for old chess books and magazines, and I never
noticed the supposed items for sale. Could you validate this claim in
some way?

Interestingly, and perhaps sadly, I acquired many Magyar Sakkelets
recently from a Canadian player named L Sarkosy, through another
seller. You can find him in Wikipedia, noted as the world's oldest
sportsman, playing chess at 100. I am suspecting he may have died or
had other reason to give up his collection, sad in either case.

Inside each magazine were wonderful notes, in German/FIDE notation,
many of them written on old receipts of items bought and sold (the
perfect size for insertion in a magazine). In one set of magazines
from 1974, one receipt was dated 1957! The analysis is wonderfully
deep, the kind of thinking people used to do about chess before Fritz
became God.

Old November 8th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

"SBD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 8, 10:02 am, "Chess One" wrote:

How sad it was to read a Canadian message about a chess archive given to
USCF being sold on e-Bay!

I believe you've made this statement a few times. I shop ebay
regularly, primarily for old chess books and magazines, and I never
noticed the supposed items for sale. Could you validate this claim in
some way?

No - it would take extensive hunting through e-mails, and I forgot even what
year it was - I don't truly remember, S, if it was posted here or not, or
came privately? [I do remember that it was on behalf of the person who made
the donation, who maybe had died? So was represented by some Canadian
friend]

Interestingly, and perhaps sadly, I acquired many Magyar Sakkelets
recently from a Canadian player named L Sarkosy, through another
seller. You can find him in Wikipedia, noted as the world's oldest
sportsman, playing chess at 100. I am suspecting he may have died or
had other reason to give up his collection, sad in either case.

Inside each magazine were wonderful notes, in German/FIDE notation,
many of them written on old receipts of items bought and sold (the
perfect size for insertion in a magazine). In one set of magazines
from 1974, one receipt was dated 1957! The analysis is wonderfully
deep, the kind of thinking people used to do about chess before Fritz
became God.

You sound like Adorjan! And Evans, and Timman, and Davies, and Korchnoi and
.... even me.

Then it was a sort of joyful exploration of things - with wicked thoughts
intruding into received materials. In a 3-week expose at Chessville, I have
traced the beginnings of the English Defence, pioneered by Miles at the
highest levels, and with additional stimulus by Keene and others.

Most players reading here will be lost in any understanding at move 8,
latest! At move 4!

Many players before the computer age seemed to have used their own wit and
experience to venture forth. In a current interview with Mickey Adams [just
scored 2800+ tpr in the Euro team tournament] I ask him about this situation
[or rather, with the voice of Adorjan, who asked him 2 eye-watering
questions about current creativity] as well as 2 other GM contributions to
his interview.

The responses may inform us better to this previous age of creativity, and
interestingly the English Fed would also like to publish the interview.

Those were the days... were they? Were they really as these top players
attest?

Write to me more, privately if you wish, since the subject you raise is of
some substantial interest, and you are well fit to make more liberal
expression on it. I can get it out there better than CL, or Cl on-line, and
to more people per month.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Old November 9th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

THE PRE-FITZ ERA

Inside each magazine were wonderful notes, in German/FIDE notation,
many of them written on old receipts of items bought and sold (the
perfect size for insertion in a magazine). In one set of magazines
from 1974, one receipt was dated 1957! The analysis is wonderfully
deep, the kind of thinking people used to do about chess before Fritz
became God. -- SBD

Rynd-Dowd finally posted a message that was
right-on in spirit and fact.

I was just leafing through Keres and Kotov's "The
Art of the Middle Game" and the examples from Keres of
his adjournment analysis were not only impressive in
chess terms but actually heartwarming.

And the emphasis on the endgame! Yes, even in a
work devoted, according to its title, to the Middle Game.

My only quibble with Rynd-Dowd would be that
even if Sarkozy's notes in Magyar Sakkelets had not
been deep and were, in truth, filled with errors, it
is the process and the approach here that counts. His
notes show love, albeit for a closed, inanimate system.

Yours, Larry Parr