Old November 7th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob Rob is offline

Default What if...... The USCF went out of business?

What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

Old November 7th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Rob wrote:
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

For you? Not at all.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old November 7th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 7, 5:03 pm, Kenneth Sloan wrote:
Rob wrote:
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

For you? Not at all.

Bruceski!

I think of K.S. as the Ernest Hemingway of rgcp.

LT

Old November 7th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,alt.true-crime

On Nov 7, 4:39 pm, Rob wrote:
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

It is well known that Ron ("the Robber") Mitchell wants the USCF to go
out of business so that he can take over the USCF's business.

Rob ('the Robber") Mitchell got his moniker "the Robber" through a
scam he pulled by claiming to have made a deal with Bobby Fischer in
Iceland to play a chess match for $14 million. Rob ("the Robber")
Mitchell was caught soliciting front money for this supposed deal. Of
course, Rob ("the Robber") Mitchell had never had any contact direct
or indirect with Bobby Fischer and Fischer had never agreed to play
this supposed chess match, not even for $14 million.

Rob ("the Robber") Mitchell twice applied for employment with the
USCF. First he applied for the job of Scholastic Director. Then he
applied for the job of Executive Director. After he was turned down
for both jobs, he started attacking the USCF and its board members,
including me, basically hoping to put the USCF out of business so that
he could take over some of its operations.

Old November 7th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Rob wrote:
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

Let me see...

On the positive side:
1) The catalog that masquerades as a magazine would vanish
2) The merchandising that creates a conflict of interest would vanish
3) A corrupt board would vanish
4) A possibly bloated staff would vanish
5) There would be an opening for new organizations to arise and compete
for the support of chess players
6) Sponsors might jump into the fray to help create a better climate in
the chess world
7) A new relationship would be forged with world chess governance
allowing for a fresh look at issues that concern many
8) Some form of bankruptcy/dissolution might be the most humane way to
put this sick beast out of its misery

On the negative side:
1) Life members would understandably be upset (as they should be now
anyways)
2) Existing scheduled events might be disrupted and have to scramble to
reorganize or cancel
3) There would necessarily be a period of confusion in the US chess
community
4) More lawsuits may pop up during the dissolution of the USCF based on
incompetence, corruption or criminal activities (nothing new there)

If there is a new organization to take the place of the USCF I would
like to see something with a lean trimmed down mission. Rate the
players, regulate TD's, represent the US in the world chess arena.
Forget about merchandising and magazines. This would open up some areas
to private enterprise.

Of course these are only idle thoughts of a former member. But I have
looked, and it would be nice to find an organization that I felt good
about joining. It isn't the current USCF.
--

Cheers,
Rev. J.D. Walker, U.C.

'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil.'
-- (Exodus 23:2)
'It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society.'
-- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Old November 7th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 7, 4:19 pm, "J.D. Walker" wrote:
Rob wrote:
[...]

FIDE ratings would become more pouplar. But the USCF ratings system
could be continued,
in present form. I really don't know how you could keep control over a
chess rating. The alogritms
for ELO ratings are public. All that would be that USCF ratings would
have to be agreed to terminate
as of a certain date, and as of that date, a new entity could start
ratings.

As to the USA FIDE seat, I do not know. Who would represent the USA in
the world chess championship?
I don't know.

In all of this discussion, you can see how little value USCF and FIDE
really have to the common member. If we all decide a frog is a
Grandmaster,
then we have decided. The Olympic folks won't stand by Kirsan for that
long, with these charges of Slave Trading...

Marcus Roberts

Marcus Roberts

Old November 8th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Uzytkownik "Larry Tapper" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...

I think of K.S. as the Ernest Hemingway of rgcp.

Do you think that he will end up as him ?

Old November 8th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

Life would go on. How long was chess around before 1939? ;-)

Old November 8th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"Jerzy" wrote in message

Uzytkownik "Larry Tapper" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...

I think of K.S. as the Ernest Hemingway of rgcp.

Do you think that he will end up as him ?

No, it will be back to Walmart, where he can greet people coming in so when
they ask what time it is, he can use his great mathematical knowledge to
reply, "you mean, now?"

Phil Innes

Old November 8th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"J.D. Walker" wrote in message
. ..
Rob wrote:
What if the USCF went out of business? I am not advocating this.
Honestly, how would things change for the chessplayer?

This response at least identifies a broad range of issues, and has at bottom
a handy summary of essential factors:-

Let me see...

On the positive side:
1) The catalog that masquerades as a magazine would vanish
2) The merchandising that creates a conflict of interest would vanish
3) A corrupt board would vanish
4) A possibly bloated staff would vanish
5) There would be an opening for new organizations to arise and compete
for the support of chess players

There is a contention: Actually a revolutionary one, meaning new governance
would do better than the old. Although its phrasing 'compete for the support
of chess players' seems to be the very virus which current afflicts USCF.
Some people have thought that the critical basis of a new organisation would
be for the organisation to support the players, not the other way around.

6) Sponsors might jump into the fray to help create a better climate in
the chess world
7) A new relationship would be forged with world chess governance allowing
for a fresh look at issues that concern many

I don't know about fresh look - any looking would be a change. What issues
would be so critical that warrant a new organisation to review them?

8) Some form of bankruptcy/dissolution might be the most humane way to put
this sick beast out of its misery

On the negative side:
1) Life members would understandably be upset (as they should be now
anyways)

If USCF were a private member's club, they would indeed have cause for
feeling a loss - but as a non-profit in support of chess, the question might
be put in context, "what do life-members do for the organisation and its
mission?" Rather than what they can get from it.

2) Existing scheduled events might be disrupted and have to scramble to
reorganize or cancel

Laugh - that at least is nothing new

3) There would necessarily be a period of confusion in the US chess
community

About?

4) More lawsuits may pop up during the dissolution of the USCF based on
incompetence, corruption or criminal activities (nothing new there)

If there is a new organization to take the place of the USCF I would like
to see something with a lean trimmed down mission. Rate the players,
regulate TD's, represent the US in the world chess arena.

Okay! - that sentence contains a core of ideas which the writer suggests are
central. I think it stands as a good staging point to examine the issue of
what any federation /must/ do if it claims to either represent us, or
mediate for us in engaging the larger world, and also to promote the game.

One immediate difference on a USCF failure, would be in the rating system,
since out go the *special* factors of rating floors, for example, which are
literally not earned, but awarded, and which make a nonsense of the whole
rating pool. [If people officially recogised as 2200 are actually 1850, why
should anyone pretend this still has to do with Dr. Elo's idea?]

On the whole, people who do not want change seem to argue that USCF
continues to operate like a private member's club [PMC] - which is fine!

While those who want change describe their ideas of what a worthy non-profit
organisation should attempt to achieve, beyond the simple
payment-for-service of a PMC.

Good Post!

Phil Innes