Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 8th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 383
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

Let's just say that there are differing viewpoints on the matter. The
regulators who work with ERISA will decide if Joel is correct or not. Joel
wrote on the USCF Issues Forum:
__________________________________________________ _____

The charges regarding the profit sharing plan that were so ominously raised
were really simple: (a) the documentation was faulty and we really had a
pension fund, and (b) we owed a lot of money to ex-employees. No conclusive
evidence was put forth, only allegation and speculation. Since this is a
public organization and we were not certain that records had kept accurately
in the past, we investigated both issues. Now we have received two
affirmative legal opinions regarding (a) and we are deep in the process of
reconstructing the spotty records that were kept regarding (b) in order to
verify if anyone is owed anything - in which case we'll pay them. In the
process, numerous hours have been spent by our staff and numerous documents
have been found and copied and given to the people making the allegations.
Although it's now Randy Bauer's decision to make, it's my opinion that we've
done far more due diligence for potential litigants than I would have ever
done in private business, and, after the reconstruction of the records and
payment of any monies as may be owed, I would not be giving out any more
information than necessary. The people making the allegations of impropriety
have convinced me that they'll probably disparage any information we put
forth, and after we've done (a) and (b) they'll continue to whine, but they
won't waste their money to sue us.

Joel Channing


  #2   Report Post  
Old November 8th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchanning
In the process, numerous hours have been spent
by our staff and numerous documents have been found and copied and
given to the people making the allegations.

Joel Channing
Since when? Remember that it was I, not Donna, who first raised this
issue. I brought it up at my first meeting of the board after I had
been elected, which was on August 14, 2006. At every one of the five
meetings I attended as a member of the board, I raised this issue. I
was always promised copies of the documents pertaining to the pension/
profit sharing plan but I never received even one single document,
except that the day before my last meeting as a board member I
received a small envelope of documents, all of which turned out to be
printouts of material previously posted on the Internet.

Also, although I support Donna's investigation, I am on the opposite
side of her in some respects because I have yet to see any proof that
we even have or had a pension or priofit sharing plan. Where are the
documents setting up the plan? Where are the documents showing who
gets the money and where the money is supposed to come from? Do these
documents exist, or were they deposited in the landfill? While I was
on the board the USCF made two payments of about $23,000 each to
former employees. I had been informed that one of these former
employees was not entitled to anything because the person had been
fired before the five year vesting period was up. Why was not this
investigated? Are we such a sloppy organization that we just go around
paying $23,000 to anybody who requests it? No wonder we lost two
million dollars.

Sam Sloan

  #3   Report Post  
Old November 9th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 3,026
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

LOOK BACK WITHOUT ANGER

Sam,

The pension program was established sometime in
the second half of the 1980s, when I was still Chess Life
editor. Look in the Board records of the period, and
you will find the necessary references. There would
also be Delegates' resolutions to said effect.

samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchanning
In the process, numerous hours have been spent
by our staff and numerous documents have been found and copied and
given to the people making the allegations.

Joel Channing

Since when? Remember that it was I, not Donna, who first raised this
issue. I brought it up at my first meeting of the board after I had
been elected, which was on August 14, 2006. At every one of the five
meetings I attended as a member of the board, I raised this issue. I
was always promised copies of the documents pertaining to the pension/
profit sharing plan but I never received even one single document,
except that the day before my last meeting as a board member I
received a small envelope of documents, all of which turned out to be
printouts of material previously posted on the Internet.

Also, although I support Donna's investigation, I am on the opposite
side of her in some respects because I have yet to see any proof that
we even have or had a pension or priofit sharing plan. Where are the
documents setting up the plan? Where are the documents showing who
gets the money and where the money is supposed to come from? Do these
documents exist, or were they deposited in the landfill? While I was
on the board the USCF made two payments of about $23,000 each to
former employees. I had been informed that one of these former
employees was not entitled to anything because the person had been
fired before the five year vesting period was up. Why was not this
investigated? Are we such a sloppy organization that we just go around
paying $23,000 to anybody who requests it? No wonder we lost two
million dollars.

Sam Sloan


  #4   Report Post  
Old November 10th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

On Nov 8, 11:11 pm, " wrote:
LOOK BACK WITHOUT ANGER

Sam,

The pension program was established sometime in
the second half of the 1980s, when I was still Chess Life
editor. Look in the Board records of the period, and
you will find the necessary references. There would
also be Delegates' resolutions to said effect.


Thank you for this useful information.

Unfortunately, these documents seem no longer to be available, or at
least nobody has yet produced them.

Sam Sloan

  #5   Report Post  
Old November 10th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 3,026
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

FROM JAMI ANSON TO LARRY PARR
Date: 11/10/2007 4:56:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
To: Parrthenon


Hey how are you?

I just wanted to thank you for your posting about Donna Alarie being
attacked.

I honestly speak for myself and the other former employees.

That simply --- I and others have not gotten any of the proper answers
or follow-through since 2003.
The only straight and honest answers concerning the paperwork has been
from Donna.

Numerous hollow promises and accusations have been made to each of the
former employees. Promises of the resolution dates to each of our so
called "accounts" are constantly given and then never kept.

Time and time again, as employees, we professionally tried to get the
proper paperwork done and executed. And the result --- personally for
me was 2 bounced checks and the headache of dealing with all the
scapegoating done about me personally instead of just paying what was
due - instead of just stepping up to the plate and getting the
paperwork out and resolving everything properly. They could not even
afford to give me my entire account and tried to give a much smaller
amount. And I am still waiting for the end amount so I can transfer
into the proper retirement accounts.

Know that the deadline for the proper monies to be transferred to each
employee is January 2008. Mandated in our the one peice of paperwork
from Spectrum. And none of us will allow our monies to be lost because
of USCF's actions. Hence, one of the many reasons, Ms. Alarie has
spent hundreds and hundreds of her personal hours working on trying to
get the answers was so the final transfers could be made and done with
the proper amounts due to former employees. This does include myself,
an employee that worked through 8 editors and produced more issues (of
course not as an editor, but as the Creative person) then any one
individual did, including Hochburg. Seventeen and a half years - of
deadline after deadline after deadline ... and giving it all that I
had. Ends up with being treated like this without even the proper
separation package for working all those years. And now myself and
other former employees have spent so many hours on the phone and in
writing requesting just what is do us - and we have been treated
horribly. And now a person working to help us that isn't receivng a
paycheck and didn't have to do this is being treated the same. Its
disgusting.

Ms. Alarie has been the only person to be able to be in touch with us
and let us know exactly and honestly how it was proceeding. I have
kept proof of nightmares since 2003. And I can directly say to you
Larry because I respect you and know that you respect me. That she is
the only reason that former employees have not gone to NY Times yet
and filed Erisa complaints. She asked each of us to be patient and not
to move forward because help was on the way and that she would keep
everyone informed. And I must say she diligently has spent hours
keeping us informed. Something that should have been done and said by
the Executive Board or an actual ED that actually get paid for their
job with USCF.

A letter was sent to some employees promising that it was being worked
on. But two things should be noted: Not all former employees received
such letter, and that includes myself. And also the letter was only
sent after Ms. Alarie insisted and talked and talked and talked to
them concerning that employees should be kept notified.

Its childish and cruel what this political and administration system
has done. Because what it now tells us, as former employees, that we
need to proceed immediatley with formal governmental complaints and
media coverage. How sad. And as much that has been done to me, as an
individual, I personally was trying to avoid this because of the few
good people and Chess Life that remain in USCF. Now that 2008 deadline
looms and none of us will allow this to go on further. Especially
after hearing how Ms. Alarie was treated after all the hours and hours
of work she has put in. And in the same respect all of the lost hours
and bad treatment that we each have suffered, as former employees who
just want what is due.

I will not post on rec or anywhere else. But know, that several of us
former employees are reading and copying as needed. My bank and lawyer
is ready to proceed at the word go. My mom is a CPA and the bank where
the checks bounced has the complaint papers and everything ready to
go. So its sad its headed there. And whats even sadder is the lack of
respect to us.

I hope this finds you well and I honestly miss our days of producing a
good issue and working with a great team. And that had nothing to do
with the politics. I now am with a huge International Organization
that has also offered to help with their legal team when necessary. So
from there its up to this administration and board to move forward...
be honest and resolve properly.

I have hired a couple of former employees where I am to help. The
staff and integrity of Chess Life were the only main reason I stayed
and worked all those long hours. And now I just find the whole thing
ridiculous and horrible.

The funny thing is I went from chess to peace to finally work for an
organization that treats their employees like human beings that
matter.

Jami

Jami L. Anson
Marketing/Outreach Director
World Peace Sanctuary
(UN Project)
www.worldpeace.org

Peace Pals International
Peace Pole Project

May Peace Prevail on Earth Alliance
www.mppoealliance.org

Shop Peace to spread peace.
www.shoppeace.org

Jadesign
www.jadesignfirm.com

MAY PEACE PREVAIL ON EARTH.




samsloan wrote:
On Nov 8, 11:11 pm, " wrote:
LOOK BACK WITHOUT ANGER

Sam,

The pension program was established sometime in
the second half of the 1980s, when I was still Chess Life
editor. Look in the Board records of the period, and
you will find the necessary references. There would
also be Delegates' resolutions to said effect.


Thank you for this useful information.

Unfortunately, these documents seem no longer to be available, or at
least nobody has yet produced them.

Sam Sloan




  #6   Report Post  
Old November 10th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 383
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

Larry, thank you for posting his.



wrote in message
oups.com...
FROM JAMI ANSON TO LARRY PARR
Date: 11/10/2007 4:56:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
To: Parrthenon


Hey how are you?

I just wanted to thank you for your posting about Donna Alarie being
attacked.

I honestly speak for myself and the other former employees.

That simply --- I and others have not gotten any of the proper answers
or follow-through since 2003.
The only straight and honest answers concerning the paperwork has been
from Donna.

Numerous hollow promises and accusations have been made to each of the
former employees. Promises of the resolution dates to each of our so
called "accounts" are constantly given and then never kept.

Time and time again, as employees, we professionally tried to get the
proper paperwork done and executed. And the result --- personally for
me was 2 bounced checks and the headache of dealing with all the
scapegoating done about me personally instead of just paying what was
due - instead of just stepping up to the plate and getting the
paperwork out and resolving everything properly. They could not even
afford to give me my entire account and tried to give a much smaller
amount. And I am still waiting for the end amount so I can transfer
into the proper retirement accounts.

Know that the deadline for the proper monies to be transferred to each
employee is January 2008. Mandated in our the one peice of paperwork
from Spectrum. And none of us will allow our monies to be lost because
of USCF's actions. Hence, one of the many reasons, Ms. Alarie has
spent hundreds and hundreds of her personal hours working on trying to
get the answers was so the final transfers could be made and done with
the proper amounts due to former employees. This does include myself,
an employee that worked through 8 editors and produced more issues (of
course not as an editor, but as the Creative person) then any one
individual did, including Hochburg. Seventeen and a half years - of
deadline after deadline after deadline ... and giving it all that I
had. Ends up with being treated like this without even the proper
separation package for working all those years. And now myself and
other former employees have spent so many hours on the phone and in
writing requesting just what is do us - and we have been treated
horribly. And now a person working to help us that isn't receivng a
paycheck and didn't have to do this is being treated the same. Its
disgusting.

Ms. Alarie has been the only person to be able to be in touch with us
and let us know exactly and honestly how it was proceeding. I have
kept proof of nightmares since 2003. And I can directly say to you
Larry because I respect you and know that you respect me. That she is
the only reason that former employees have not gone to NY Times yet
and filed Erisa complaints. She asked each of us to be patient and not
to move forward because help was on the way and that she would keep
everyone informed. And I must say she diligently has spent hours
keeping us informed. Something that should have been done and said by
the Executive Board or an actual ED that actually get paid for their
job with USCF.

A letter was sent to some employees promising that it was being worked
on. But two things should be noted: Not all former employees received
such letter, and that includes myself. And also the letter was only
sent after Ms. Alarie insisted and talked and talked and talked to
them concerning that employees should be kept notified.

Its childish and cruel what this political and administration system
has done. Because what it now tells us, as former employees, that we
need to proceed immediatley with formal governmental complaints and
media coverage. How sad. And as much that has been done to me, as an
individual, I personally was trying to avoid this because of the few
good people and Chess Life that remain in USCF. Now that 2008 deadline
looms and none of us will allow this to go on further. Especially
after hearing how Ms. Alarie was treated after all the hours and hours
of work she has put in. And in the same respect all of the lost hours
and bad treatment that we each have suffered, as former employees who
just want what is due.

I will not post on rec or anywhere else. But know, that several of us
former employees are reading and copying as needed. My bank and lawyer
is ready to proceed at the word go. My mom is a CPA and the bank where
the checks bounced has the complaint papers and everything ready to
go. So its sad its headed there. And whats even sadder is the lack of
respect to us.

I hope this finds you well and I honestly miss our days of producing a
good issue and working with a great team. And that had nothing to do
with the politics. I now am with a huge International Organization
that has also offered to help with their legal team when necessary. So
from there its up to this administration and board to move forward...
be honest and resolve properly.

I have hired a couple of former employees where I am to help. The
staff and integrity of Chess Life were the only main reason I stayed
and worked all those long hours. And now I just find the whole thing
ridiculous and horrible.

The funny thing is I went from chess to peace to finally work for an
organization that treats their employees like human beings that
matter.

Jami

Jami L. Anson
Marketing/Outreach Director
World Peace Sanctuary
(UN Project)
www.worldpeace.org

Peace Pals International
Peace Pole Project

May Peace Prevail on Earth Alliance
www.mppoealliance.org

Shop Peace to spread peace.
www.shoppeace.org

Jadesign
www.jadesignfirm.com

MAY PEACE PREVAIL ON EARTH.




samsloan wrote:
On Nov 8, 11:11 pm, " wrote:
LOOK BACK WITHOUT ANGER

Sam,

The pension program was established sometime in
the second half of the 1980s, when I was still Chess Life
editor. Look in the Board records of the period, and
you will find the necessary references. There would
also be Delegates' resolutions to said effect.


Thank you for this useful information.

Unfortunately, these documents seem no longer to be available, or at
least nobody has yet produced them.

Sam Sloan




  #7   Report Post  
Old November 11th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 3,026
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

THANKS FOR THE THANKS

Dear Jami,

Let me make a point clearly. I do not know who
is right about the issue of the pension fund, but one
thing I do know: when Joel Channing verbally crapped
about Donna Alarie having to search for key records in
the warehouse -- what a crock of you-know-what! -- I
figured he was indicting himself and the Executive
Board rather than attacking Donna A.

Jami: just imagine an officer of the USCF
vomiting on a USCF member who wants to find the
financial records of the organization! This guy and
others like him should be THANKING the woman for her
efforts. Sheesh.

That is the mentality we are dealing with on
this Executive Board.

My suspicion -- which can only be strengthened
by Joel Channing's organizationally aberrant effusions
-- is that the Board is trying to hide its contractual
obligations to the employees. On the other hand, I do
not yet know this to be true.

These EB people are vulnerable right now, and I
would counsel dissatisfied former and current
employees to speak with this writer privately
and I will publish what I receive. And as you may know,
I have only once in my life in 30 years of journalism
revealed a source, which was inadvertant.

Certainly, employees currently working for the
Federation, if they wish to receive their vested
monies, can only help their cause by speaking
privately to this writer. They KNOW that I don't
divulge sources. For example, to this day, not even
Larry Evans knows where I first received news that
Campomanes hijacked the FIDE treasury and placed it
in a building society account in Sheffield, England,
IN HIS OWN NAME.

I share sources with no one.

Jami: these scabrous EB creatures are vulnerable
right now. If you can persuade some people to come
forward now, the pressure could build dramatically.

Yours, Larry Parr




B. Lafferty wrote:
Larry, thank you for posting his.



wrote in message
oups.com...
FROM JAMI ANSON TO LARRY PARR
Date: 11/10/2007 4:56:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
To: Parrthenon


Hey how are you?

I just wanted to thank you for your posting about Donna Alarie being
attacked.

I honestly speak for myself and the other former employees.

That simply --- I and others have not gotten any of the proper answers
or follow-through since 2003.
The only straight and honest answers concerning the paperwork has been
from Donna.

Numerous hollow promises and accusations have been made to each of the
former employees. Promises of the resolution dates to each of our so
called "accounts" are constantly given and then never kept.

Time and time again, as employees, we professionally tried to get the
proper paperwork done and executed. And the result --- personally for
me was 2 bounced checks and the headache of dealing with all the
scapegoating done about me personally instead of just paying what was
due - instead of just stepping up to the plate and getting the
paperwork out and resolving everything properly. They could not even
afford to give me my entire account and tried to give a much smaller
amount. And I am still waiting for the end amount so I can transfer
into the proper retirement accounts.

Know that the deadline for the proper monies to be transferred to each
employee is January 2008. Mandated in our the one peice of paperwork
from Spectrum. And none of us will allow our monies to be lost because
of USCF's actions. Hence, one of the many reasons, Ms. Alarie has
spent hundreds and hundreds of her personal hours working on trying to
get the answers was so the final transfers could be made and done with
the proper amounts due to former employees. This does include myself,
an employee that worked through 8 editors and produced more issues (of
course not as an editor, but as the Creative person) then any one
individual did, including Hochburg. Seventeen and a half years - of
deadline after deadline after deadline ... and giving it all that I
had. Ends up with being treated like this without even the proper
separation package for working all those years. And now myself and
other former employees have spent so many hours on the phone and in
writing requesting just what is do us - and we have been treated
horribly. And now a person working to help us that isn't receivng a
paycheck and didn't have to do this is being treated the same. Its
disgusting.

Ms. Alarie has been the only person to be able to be in touch with us
and let us know exactly and honestly how it was proceeding. I have
kept proof of nightmares since 2003. And I can directly say to you
Larry because I respect you and know that you respect me. That she is
the only reason that former employees have not gone to NY Times yet
and filed Erisa complaints. She asked each of us to be patient and not
to move forward because help was on the way and that she would keep
everyone informed. And I must say she diligently has spent hours
keeping us informed. Something that should have been done and said by
the Executive Board or an actual ED that actually get paid for their
job with USCF.

A letter was sent to some employees promising that it was being worked
on. But two things should be noted: Not all former employees received
such letter, and that includes myself. And also the letter was only
sent after Ms. Alarie insisted and talked and talked and talked to
them concerning that employees should be kept notified.

Its childish and cruel what this political and administration system
has done. Because what it now tells us, as former employees, that we
need to proceed immediatley with formal governmental complaints and
media coverage. How sad. And as much that has been done to me, as an
individual, I personally was trying to avoid this because of the few
good people and Chess Life that remain in USCF. Now that 2008 deadline
looms and none of us will allow this to go on further. Especially
after hearing how Ms. Alarie was treated after all the hours and hours
of work she has put in. And in the same respect all of the lost hours
and bad treatment that we each have suffered, as former employees who
just want what is due.

I will not post on rec or anywhere else. But know, that several of us
former employees are reading and copying as needed. My bank and lawyer
is ready to proceed at the word go. My mom is a CPA and the bank where
the checks bounced has the complaint papers and everything ready to
go. So its sad its headed there. And whats even sadder is the lack of
respect to us.

I hope this finds you well and I honestly miss our days of producing a
good issue and working with a great team. And that had nothing to do
with the politics. I now am with a huge International Organization
that has also offered to help with their legal team when necessary. So
from there its up to this administration and board to move forward...
be honest and resolve properly.

I have hired a couple of former employees where I am to help. The
staff and integrity of Chess Life were the only main reason I stayed
and worked all those long hours. And now I just find the whole thing
ridiculous and horrible.

The funny thing is I went from chess to peace to finally work for an
organization that treats their employees like human beings that
matter.

Jami

Jami L. Anson
Marketing/Outreach Director
World Peace Sanctuary
(UN Project)
www.worldpeace.org

Peace Pals International
Peace Pole Project

May Peace Prevail on Earth Alliance
www.mppoealliance.org

Shop Peace to spread peace.
www.shoppeace.org

Jadesign
www.jadesignfirm.com

MAY PEACE PREVAIL ON EARTH.




samsloan wrote:
On Nov 8, 11:11 pm, " wrote:
LOOK BACK WITHOUT ANGER

Sam,

The pension program was established sometime in
the second half of the 1980s, when I was still Chess Life
editor. Look in the Board records of the period, and
you will find the necessary references. There would
also be Delegates' resolutions to said effect.

Thank you for this useful information.

Unfortunately, these documents seem no longer to be available, or at
least nobody has yet produced them.

Sam Sloan



  #8   Report Post  
Old November 11th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,598
Default Joel Channing's Retirement World

wrote:
FROM JAMI ANSON TO LARRY PARR
Date: 11/10/2007 4:56:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:

To: Parrthenon

[...]


And did you ask permission before posting private E-mail in a public
forum?


Dave.

--
David Richerby Poisonous Dangerous Soap (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a personal hygiene product but
it could explode at any minute and
it'll kill you in seconds!
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joel Channing's Retirement World samsloan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 0 November 8th 07 02:00 PM
Susan Polgar claims she has a "Good Relationship" with Xie Jun now samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 1 September 15th 07 11:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017