Old November 12th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Sam Sloan beat USCF Master Richard Koepcke in 10 moves

[quote="nolan"]Since we have so few cases of contested races in small
states, I don't know if we can definitively say whether or not it is
easier to get elected from a small state than from a large state.[/
quote]

The best example of the problem this would create is Mike Nolan
himself.

Mike is from Nebraska, a state with only one delegate slot.

Yet, for some unknown reason, Nebraska has produced more chess
politicians than any other state.

In addition to Mike, there are Bruce Draney, Tom Dorsch and Al
Lawrence. However, the delegate position usually goes to Jim Jirousek,
the state chess historian. I do not count Tim Tobiason as a politician
yet.

Mike Nolan has attended every delegates meeting since at least 1995
but he usually has to fish around among the other states to get
seated.

I am still miffed that in 1996 Mike Nolan was made a delegate from
Northern California instead of me, when I actually lived in Northern
California. I believed at the time that Tom Dorsch had done this.
However, I have since learned that it was actually Richard Koepcke,
who was at the time President of the Northern California Chess
Association, who vetoed having me as a delegate and that Tom Dorsch
was actually in favor of making me a delegate.

However, Koepcke, a 2300 player, received his punishment when I beat
him in ten moves in the US Open. The reason I beat him in ten moves
was he made an illegal move and then had to move the piece he touched,
which would have resulted in the loss of a knight. He asked me to let
him take the move back, and when I would not agree, he resigned.

Old November 12th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob Rob is offline

Default USCF Master Richard Koepcke resigns in 10 moves, Was not beaten in play.

However, Koepcke, a 2300 player, received his punishment when I beat
him in ten moves in the US Open. The reason I beat him in ten moves
was he made an illegal move and then had to move the piece he touched,
which would have resulted in the loss of a knight. He asked me to let
him take the move back, and when I would not agree, he resigned.

Sam Sloan

Didn't beat him, he lost only because he didn't want to continue in
game play against you being a knight down. Did he finish ahead of you
in the tournament?

Old November 12th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Actually, I finished the tournament ahead of him.

I finished number 83. He finished number 145.

You can see the crosstable at
http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?199608166460

Old November 12th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

samsloan wrote:

I am still miffed that in 1996 Mike Nolan was made a delegate from
Northern California instead of me, when I actually lived in Northern
California. I believed at the time that Tom Dorsch had done this.
However, I have since learned that it was actually Richard Koepcke,
who was at the time President of the Northern California Chess
Association, who vetoed having me as a delegate and that Tom Dorsch
was actually in favor of making me a delegate.

So Sam Sloan was dead wrong? He got the facts exactly
backwards? What a "surprise".

However, Koepcke, a 2300 player, received his punishment when I beat
him in ten moves in the US Open. The reason I beat him in ten moves
was he made an illegal move and then had to move the piece he touched,
which would have resulted in the loss of a knight. He asked me to let
him take the move back, and when I would not agree, he resigned.

Why any strong player would resign /only a piece down/
against Mr. Sloan is baffling. Perhaps he felt it would make
the game seem "invalid", decided on a mere technicality,
but a win is a win. Chalk up another one for SS -- the king
of sting, the master of disaster. (Just find Mr. Sloan on the
relevant crosstable and look way, way below to find his many
hapless victims.)

-- help bot

Old November 12th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob Rob is offline

On Nov 12, 11:34 am, help bot wrote:
samsloan wrote:
[...]

Or any average player either. There is still room for a player like SS
to implode.

Perhaps he felt it would make
the game seem "invalid", decided on a mere technicality,
but a win is a win.

Yes. This is true but winning in that fashion isn't "beating" anyone.
It's just winning; something slightly better than "not losing".

Chalk up another one for SS -- the king
of sting, the master of disaster. (Just find Mr. Sloan on the
relevant crosstable and look way, way below to find his many
hapless victims.)

Yes! Woo-Hoo for SS as the blows his own horn again. Just as a child
chasing his Mother's attention. So here we go. "Good Boy Sammy! Your
Mommy is proud of you."

-- help bot

Old November 12th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis
SBD SBD is offline

On Nov 12, 11:34 am, help bot wrote:

(Just find Mr. Sloan on the
relevant crosstable and look way, way below to find his many
hapless victims.)

For an attention whore like SS, just making you look is enough for
him.

Old November 12th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Actually, I have been very nice to Mr. Koepcke by never publishing the
game and I can no longer find the scoresheet. However, the game
started like this. I was Black:

1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 Nc6 3. Nf3 Qe7 4. Bf4 Qb4+ 5. Bd2 Qxb2 6. Nc3 Bb4 7.
Rb1 Qa3

A few moves later, I played Bxc3 and he played B on f1 captures B on
c3 which of course is illegal. He then said that he wanted me to give
him the move back. When I would not agree, he resigned.

Old November 12th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Nov 12, 12:58 pm, SBD wrote:

(Just find Mr. Sloan on the
relevant crosstable and look way, way below to find his many
hapless victims.)

For an attention whore like SS, just making you look is enough for
him.

Bully for him.

I am left wondering how a NY city cab driver (and so many
others like him) somehow managed to come up with the
funds to travel the world, playing in such tournaments as
that one. Many of the people I have known simply get out
a calculator, figure that one-third of their expenses will go
to the hotels and restaurants, one-third to a greedy
organizer, and another third to the top finishers (almost
always professionals, GMs) and decide they can't afford
it.

Recently, one player seemed concerned about burning up
$10 of gasoline (each way, I expect), just to drive to another
city not too far away, to play in something like say, the
King's Island (Cincinnati) Open -- a decent-sized event. That
tourney no doubt drew many players from around here. Not
long ago, four players drove all the way from Chicago to
play in a tiny event down here -- in a beat-up old econo-car
to save gas. One of them was a world-class GM. Strange
world.

-- help bot

Old November 12th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Nov 12, 1:07 pm, samsloan wrote:
Actually, I have been very nice to Mr. Koepcke by never publishing the
game and I can no longer find the scoresheet. However, the game
started like this. I was Black:

1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 Nc6 3. Nf3 Qe7 4. Bf4 Qb4+ 5. Bd2 Qxb2 6. Nc3 Bb4 7.
Rb1 Qa3

A few moves later, I played Bxc3 and he played B on f1 captures B on
c3 which of course is illegal. He then said that he wanted me to give
him the move back. When I would not agree, he resigned.

Interesting. Did you return his glasses -- which you had
obviously taken during the game -- afterward, so he could
see again?

I have now gotten to the point where I need glasses to
read my computer screen (or any small text). Take note:
in case we ever play a grudge match, I have a spare pair
in the car, so don't get any ideas.

-- help bot