Old November 14th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Bill Hall On Censorship and Emergencies

Bill hall finall responsed to my email below after I forwarded it to Bill G.
See below:

Bill,
You placed me in the moderator's Q with no prior warning, no specific
explanation of why, no end to the sanction and no appeal process at all. I
have no faith in waiting on your new structure. I note for the record that
this is the second time this has occurred, the first being when discussion
of the Truong affair was prohibited on the forum. This is nothing more than
a crass action that inhibits free speech and appears designed to restrict
criticism of USCF management. I suggest that the proper thing to do is to
immediately remove me and anyone else who is in the moderator Q.

I hope you will do something to rectify this wrong rather than my having to
take action that will add to the burdens already facing you and the board.

Brian Lafferty

Bill Hall wrote:
Brian,

I am working to get the new structure in place, at which time I will
remove the emergency procedures.

Bill Hall
Executive Director
United States Chess Federation
P.O. Box 3967
Crossville, TN 38557-3967
Phone: (931) 787-1234
Fax: (931) 787-1200

Old November 14th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

And here is a post that may or may not appear on the Issues Forum:

Preview: No Response From Bill Hall--Re Moderator Q
tsawmiller wrote:Mod mode on...

Please refer to the initial post in the topic EB motion to revise AUG and
Forum structure for the answers to your questions.

Mod mode off...

It doesn't. There is no provision in that revised AUG to require note before
a sanction is issued. That is blatantly unfair. The "appeal" process is a
sham. Two of the three reviewers are the very moderators involved in the
initial decision making that leads to a sanction.

Also, I don't recall seeing this AUG change in the Announcements section
under the AUG. Since I don't read all threads, I didn't see this incredible
attack on free speech and the ability to criticize management.

I did receive a response from Bill Hall after I wrote to Bill G. That
response and my response to it can be found on rgcp. I do hope USCF
management goes there, reads it and thinks long and hard about finding an
immediate solution to a prior restraint/censorship of critics for political
reason problem management has created for itself. Look for the thread Bill
Hall on Censorship and Emergencies.

news:[email protected]