Old November 15th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default The Two Towers

Just because we inveigle the detail of one instance here, somewhat
obsessively over Keres & Botvinnik, let's cast the subject wider, and
consider two things, as proposed to us by Viktor Korchnoi immediately on his
coming to the West.

1) Yes, sure, he said, there is corruption in chess in the SU. It's rotted
through.

2) But with your free press, he continued with a little asperity, how come
you don't want to know about corruption in chess here? He then added that
Soviet corruption of place-men was for the sinecure of a little or a lot of
power over others, whereas in the West it was for money.

When I have discussed item (1) above with those who lived behind the iron
curtain, they say much the same, but they also make a similar point to
Korchnoi's - why do you only want us to report on ourselves? What about you?

The only person I know to even attempt item (2) happens to write in the this
newsgroup - and can tell you himself what happened when he attempted to do
so in CL.

Phil Innes