Old November 19th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer, alt.chess

Default Legal Threats from Polgar and Truong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Randy Bauer already said that the Sloan v
Truong et al case will be handled for the USCF by an attorney engaged
by the insurance company.

The USCF retained the Internet law firm in San Francisco to advise the
EB on how to deal with the Mottershead report, not the Sloan
lawsuit.

Apparently, the USCF felt that it needed to handle the FSS matter in a
way that would not result in the USCF being sued. It seems pretty
obvious to me that the ones the EB fears a suit from are Polgar and
Truong.
Polgar and Truong constantly make threats to sue people. That is their
MO.

For example, in January 2004, the USCF VP of Finance reported
receiving a threat from Polgar and Truong to sue him. That resulted in
a long thread on rec.games.chess.politics entitled "Legal Threats from
Polgar and Truong".

In addition, the Chairman of the USCF Finance Committee reported
receiving legal threats from Polgar and Truong.

On my own email group there are numerous
implied threats by Truong to sue, even threatening to sue over the
Anna Hahn Affair.

I suspect and it would not surprise me to learn that Truong has made
numerous threats to sue in this case. It is noteworthy that many
posters who made negative statements about Polgar and Truong at the
beginning of this controversy have tempered their remarks. For
example, Mig Greengard, who strongly supported Susan Polgar during her
election campaign and who has been known for his incessant attacks on
the Real Sam Sloan since at least 1999, surprisingly started a thread
entitled "Slime Spillover" which resulted in more than 300 postings
strongly implicating Truong. He then reported what became known as the
"Voice of Reason" postings which he felt came from Truong himself.
Then Susan Polgar contested this, saying that they had been on an
airplane flight from Lubbock Texas to New York City when four of these
postings had been made, so it could not have been her, she wrote.

Suddenly, Mig Greengard stopped and banned all postings on this
subject and locked all threads. I strongly suspect that Polgar and
Truong threatened to sue him and this caused Mig to become
uncharacteristically quiet.

Similarly, Chris Falter, who was perhaps the strongest supporter of
Polgar and Truong during the election campaign and who was known for
his attacks on Sam Sloan, suddenly seemed to see the light and to say
that there were some questions that Truong needed to answer. Since
then, Chris Falter too has fallen silent and I suspect that he too was
threatened by Polgar and Truong.

Another example of this is The Chess Mind blog by Dennis Monokroussos.
He started by saying that a "Polgarite" had posted to his forum under
more than 24 fake names, all of whom had the same IP address, and he
had banned all 24. He has since stated that there will be no more
discussion of this subject on his blog. I suspect that he too has
received a threat to sue.

The one organization that has not been scared off by these threats is
The New York Times. However, they are probably sued frequently and
have a regular staff of lawyers dealing with these threats and, while
they no doubt have to be concerned and to exercise appropriate
caution, they are not likely to be scared off completely by these sort
of threats.

Old November 19th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer, alt.chess

On Nov 19, 7:21 am, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

And the New York Times isn't intererested in any more reporting until
another lawsuit is filed. That
is, they want to see a new lawsuit to begin reporting. You are correct
Sam, in that
suing the New York Times only gets them to drink an extra cup of
coffee
in the morning.

Marcus Roberts