Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 19th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer, misc.legal, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

http://www.samsloan.com/ttu-answer-filed.pdf

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
-------------------------------------------------------
SAM SLOAN,

Plaintiff,


-against-

HOAINHAN "PAUL" TRUONG, ZSUZSANNA "SUSAN" POLGAR,
JOEL CHANNING, WILLIAM GOICHBERG, THE UNITED STATES
CHESS FEDERATION, BILL HALL, HERBERT RODNEY VAUGHN,
GREGORY ALEXANDER, FRANK NIRO, GRANT PERKS,
WILLIAM BROCK, RANDALL HOUGH, RANDY BAUER,
JERRY BERRY, TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY AND
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,

Defendants.

-------------------------------------------------------
-
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITYS MOTION TO DISMISS

1:07-CV-08537-DC (FM)
TO THE HONORABLE JUDGE DENNY CHIN:

NOW COMES Defendant, Texas Tech University, by and through Greg
Abbott, Attorney General of the State of Texas, and the undersigned
Assistant Attorney General, and files its Motion to Dismiss pursuant
to Rule 12(b)(1) and 12(b)(6), FED. R. Civ. P., and respectfully show
the Court as follows:

I

INTRODUCTION


Sloan filed a lengthy complaint naming Texas Tech University ("TTU")
as Defendant regarding matters of defamation. Sloan identifies federal
questions as the basis for his jurisdiction. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraph 2. Sloan seeks to vindicated his Constitutional rights to
due process, liberty, and detainment. The vehicle for vindication of
constitutional guarantees is 42 U.S.C. 1983. Under 1983,
Plaintiffs case must be dismissed for the following reasons:

1. Plaintiff alleges no specific cause of action against Texas Tech
University.
2. Texas Tech University has 11th Amendment immunity from Plaintiffs
1983 claim.
3. Texas Tech University is not a person within the meaning of 1983.
4. Texas Tech University is immune from suit under 47 U.S.C. 230.

II.

STANDARD OF REVIEW

A complaint must be dismissed if the court lacks subject matter
jurisdiction over the plaintiffs claim, FED. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(1), or
if the plaintiff fails to state a claim upon which relief may be
granted, FED. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6). "A motion to dismiss pursuant to
Rule 12(b)(1) is analyzed under the same standard as a motion to
dismiss under rule 12(b)(6)." August Trading Inc. v. United States
Agency For Int'1 Dev., 67 F.Supp.2d 964 (S.D. Tx. 2001) at page 2;
citing Home Builders Assoc. of Mississippi, Inc. v. City of Madison,
143 F.3d 1006, 1010 (5th Cir. 1998). A dismissal pursuant to Rule 12(b)
(6) is only proper when it appears beyond a doubt that the plaintiff
can prove no set of facts in support of his or her claims that would
entitle the plaintiff to relief. Rubinstein v. Collins, 20 F.3d 160
(5th Cir.1994).

III.

ARGUMENT AND AUTHORITIES

A. Plaintiff makes alleges no causes of action against Texas Tech
University


Plaintiff specifies five (5) causes of action in his Verified
Complaint. In none of these does Plaintiff allege a legally
recognizable cause of action against TTU. Plaintiff describes two
Defendants as faculty members of TTU. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 16-17. Plaintiffs only other reference to Texas Tech again
mentions that TTU recently hired two Defendants and that TTU allowed
those Defendants to use TTU computers. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 40-41. TTU y denies that any alleged defamatory messages in
this case were sent from any TTU omputer. TTU is not identified as
committing any action identified in Counts I-V. Because of this,
Plaintiff does not demonstrate to the court that it has subject matter
jurisdiction with respect to TTU, nor does Plaintiff state a claim
upon which relief can be granted. Defendant is therefor entitled to
dismissal from all aspects of this lawsuit.

B. Eleventh Amendment Immunity bars Plaintiffs 1983 Claim against
Texas Tech University

If Plaintiff makes any possible claim against TTU, it is the
vindication of his Constitutional rights under 42 U.S.C. 1983. While
Plaintiff has not asserted such claims against TTU, such claims would
be barred in the event that they were made.

It is well-settled that the Eleventh Amendment deprives a federal
court of jurisdiction to hear a suit against the State of Texas,
regardless of the relief sought, unless sovereign immunity is
expressly waived. Pennhurst State Sch. & Hosp. v. Halderman, 465 U.S.
89, 100-02,104 S.Ct 900, 908-09 (1984); Edelman v. Jordan, 415 U.S.
651,662-63,94 S.Ct. 1347,1355-56 (1974). Congress may, however,
abrogate a State's sovereign immunity under the Eleventh Amendment.
Kimel v. Florida Bd. Of Regents, 528 U.S.62,120 S.Ct. 631, 644 (2000);
Seminole Tribe of Florida v. Florida, 517 U.S. 44, 55, 116 S.Ct. 1114,
1123-24 (1996). Likewise, a State may waive its immunity to suit in
federal court. Port Auth. Trans-Hudson Corp. v. Feeney, 495 U.S. 299,
305, 110 S.Ct. 1868, 1873 (1990); Atascadero State Hosp. v. Scanlon,
473 U.S. 234, 105 S.Ct. 3142 (1985). In order to waive its immunity to
suit in federal court, however, a State "must specify [its] intention
to subject itself in federal court."' Feeney, 495 U.S. at 306, 110
S.Ct. at 1873 (quoting Atascadero, 473 U.S. 241. 105 S.Ct. at 3146)
(emphasis in original). State universities are afforded Eleventh
Amendment immunity as a matter of law. See Dube v. State University of
New York, 900 F.2d 587, X9-1 (2d Cir.1990), (The Second Circuit held
that "[f)or Eleventh Amendment purposes, SUNY is an integral part of
the government of the State of New York and when it is sued the State
is the real party." (citing State Univ. of New York v. Syracuse Univ.,
285 A.D. 59, 61, 135 N.Y.S.2d 539, 542 (3d Dept.1954); see also State
University of New York v. Syracuse, 206 Misc. 1003, 137 N.Y.S.2d 916
(Sup.Ct. Albany Cty.1954), affd, 285 A.D. 59, 135 N.Y.S.2d 539 (3d
Dept.1954); People v. Branham, 53 Misc.2d 346, 347-48, 278 N.Y.S.2d
494, 496 (Sup.Ct. Albany Cty.1967) ("the State University is an
integral part of the government of the State and when it is sued the
State is the real party").

TTU as a Defendant is entitled to Eleventh Amendment immunity unless
such immunity has been waived by a valid exercise of Congressional or
State legislative action. See United States v. Texas Tech Univ., 171 F.
3d 279, 289 (5th Cir.1999) (holding that Eleventh Amendment protects
Texas Tech University and its medical branch). Section 1983 does not
abrogate a state's Eleventh Amendment immunity and there has been no
waiver for section 1983 claims on the part of the State. See Quern v.
Jordan, 440 U.S. 332 (1979). Absent waiver or abrogation, sovereign
immunity extends to all state agencies because the State is the real
party in interest. See F. D.1. C. v. Meyer, 510 U.S. 471, 484-86
(1994); Kentucky v. Graham, 473 U.S. 159, 169 (1985). Nor has Texas
waived its immunity to suit in federal court under constitutional tort
statutes such as 1981, 1983, 1985
I A particularly strict standard applies: immunity to suit in federal
court is waived only by "the most express language or by such
overwhelming implication from the text as [will] leave no room for any
other reasonable construction." Feeney, 495 U.S. at 305-06, 110 S.Ct.
at 1873.

and 1986. See e.g., Aguilar v. Texas Dept. of Crim. Justice, Inst.
Div., 160 F.3d 1052, 1054 (5th Cir. ). cert. denied, 120 S.Ct. 130
(1999). Consequently, this Court lacks jurisdiction over any uses of
action alleged by Plaintiff against Texas Tech University, and the
case against TTU should be dismissed as a matter of law.

C. Texas Tech University is not a person within the meaning of 1983

Likewise, Plaintiff would be unable to obtain relief because TTU is
not a "person" in the 1983 context. See, e.g., Hafer v. Melo, 502
U.S. 21, 22-23, 112 S.Ct. 358, 360 (1991); Will v. Michigan Dept. Of
State Police, 491 U.S. 58, 71,109 S.Ct. 2304, 2312 (1989); Pennhurst,
465 U.S. at 101, 104 S.Ct. at 908-09. In Jett v. Dallas Indep. Sch.
Dist., 491 U.S. 701, 731, 109 S.Ct. 2702, 2721 (1989), the court said
the legislative history of Section 1983 (the Civil Rights Act of 1871)
indicates that "Congress intended that the explicit remedial
provisions of 1983 be controlling in the context of damages actions
brought against state actors alleging violation of the rights declared
in 1981."

D. Plaintiff's Claim Against Texas Tech University is Barred by the 42
U.S.C. 230.


TTU specifically denies that any alleged defamatory messages in this
case were sent from any TTU computer. Even if such messages were sent
from a TTU computer, any potential claim by Plaintiff against TTU in
this case is barred by the Communications Decency Act of 1996 ("CDA"),
47 U.S.C. 230, et seq. Section 230 provides that "[n]o provider or
user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the
publisher or speaker of any information provided by another



footnote 2 In 1991 Congress amended 1981 to add 1981(c) which
provided in part that the "rights protected" are protected against
"impairment under color of State law," but these provisions did not
overrule Jett, by allowing a direct cause of action under 1981
against state actors. Oden v. Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, 246 F.3d
458, 463 (5th Cir. 200 1)("We are persuaded that the conclusion in
Jett remains the same after Congress enacted the 1991 amendments.")


information content provider," id . 230(c)(1), and that "[n]o cause
of action may be brought and liability may be imposed under any State
or local law that is inconsistent with this section," id.
230(e)(3). Section 230(c) thus immunizes internet service providers
from defamation and other, on-intellectual property, state law claims
arising from third-party content. See Gucci Am., Inc. v. Hall &
Assocs., 135 F.Supp. 2d 409, 417 (S.D. N.Y.2001). By its plain
language, 230 creates a federal immunity to any cause of action that
would make service providers liable for information originating with a
third party user of the service. See Zeran v. America Online, Inc.,
129 F.3d 327, 330 (4th Cir.1997). Specifically, 230 precludes courts
from entertaining claims that would place a computer service provider
in a publisher's role. Zeran at 330. The Zeran quotation, in context,
refers to defamation and other forms of tort liability. Gucci Am.,
Inc. at 415.

In the instant case, TTU operates only in the role of an interactive
computer service. 230 (f)(2) defines "Interactive computer service"
as:

The term "interactive computer service" means any information service,
system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer
access by multiple users to a computer server, including specifically
a service or system that provides access to the Internet and such
systems operated or services offered by libraries or educational
institutions.

Clearly in this case, the allegation that TTU allowed other Defendants
to use TTU computers puts TTU in the role of an interactive computer
service. Consequently, under Zeran and the other authority cited
supra, TTU is immune from the claims of this suit, and is entitled to
dismissal.

IV.
CONCLUSION

This Court should dismiss Plaintiff's claims against Texas tech
University as described hereinabove.

WHEREFORE, Defendant prays that Plaintiff take nothing by his suit,
and that Defendant recovers all such other and further relief, special
or general, at law or in equity, to which it is justly entitled,
including but not limited to its costs incurred herein.

Respectfully Submitted,

GREG ABBOTT Attorney General of Texas

KENT C. SULLIVAN
First Assistant Attorney General

DAVID S. MORALES
Deputy Attorney General for Civil Litigation

ROBERT B. O'KEEFE
Chief Litigation Division

SCOT M. GRAYDON
Texas Bar N. 24002175
Assistant Attorney General
General Litigation Division
P.O. Box 12548, Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711-2548
(512) 463-2120
(512) 320-0667 FAX

ATTORNEYS FOR DEFENDANT TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY
  #2   Report Post  
Old November 20th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer, misc.legal, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 29
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

Here's my reaction to TTU's four points:

A. "TTU y denies that any alleged defamatory messages in this case
were sent from any TTU omputer. " sounds like an assertion to be
debated at trial, not granted at this point to dismiss the case.

B. I don't know anything about this legal point.

C. If TTU isn't a "person" nobody could ever sue them. Maybe there's
more to it than this, but this doesn't seem very likely to hold up.

D. Again, I don't know enough to have an opinion about this.

So I think they're relying on the 11th amendment (B) and the CDA
(D).




samsloan wrote:
http://www.samsloan.com/ttu-answer-filed.pdf

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
-------------------------------------------------------
SAM SLOAN,

Plaintiff,


-against-

HOAINHAN "PAUL" TRUONG, ZSUZSANNA "SUSAN" POLGAR,
JOEL CHANNING, WILLIAM GOICHBERG, THE UNITED STATES
CHESS FEDERATION, BILL HALL, HERBERT RODNEY VAUGHN,
GREGORY ALEXANDER, FRANK NIRO, GRANT PERKS,
WILLIAM BROCK, RANDALL HOUGH, RANDY BAUER,
JERRY BERRY, TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY AND
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,

Defendants.

-------------------------------------------------------
-
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITYS MOTION TO DISMISS

1:07-CV-08537-DC (FM)
TO THE HONORABLE JUDGE DENNY CHIN:

NOW COMES Defendant, Texas Tech University, by and through Greg
Abbott, Attorney General of the State of Texas, and the undersigned
Assistant Attorney General, and files its Motion to Dismiss pursuant
to Rule 12(b)(1) and 12(b)(6), FED. R. Civ. P., and respectfully show
the Court as follows:

I

INTRODUCTION


Sloan filed a lengthy complaint naming Texas Tech University ("TTU")
as Defendant regarding matters of defamation. Sloan identifies federal
questions as the basis for his jurisdiction. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraph 2. Sloan seeks to vindicated his Constitutional rights to
due process, liberty, and detainment. The vehicle for vindication of
constitutional guarantees is 42 U.S.C. � 1983. Under � 1983,
Plaintiffs case must be dismissed for the following reasons:

1. Plaintiff alleges no specific cause of action against Texas Tech
University.
2. Texas Tech University has 11th Amendment immunity from Plaintiffs �
1983 claim.
3. Texas Tech University is not a person within the meaning of � 1983.
4. Texas Tech University is immune from suit under 47 U.S.C. � 230..

II.

STANDARD OF REVIEW

A complaint must be dismissed if the court lacks subject matter
jurisdiction over the plaintiffs claim, FED. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(1), or
if the plaintiff fails to state a claim upon which relief may be
granted, FED. R. Civ. P. 12(b)(6). "A motion to dismiss pursuant to
Rule 12(b)(1) is analyzed under the same standard as a motion to
dismiss under rule 12(b)(6)." August Trading Inc. v. United States
Agency For Int'1 Dev., 67 F.Supp.2d 964 (S.D. Tx. 2001) at page 2;
citing Home Builders Assoc. of Mississippi, Inc. v. City of Madison,
143 F.3d 1006, 1010 (5th Cir. 1998). A dismissal pursuant to Rule 12(b)
(6) is only proper when it appears beyond a doubt that the plaintiff
can prove no set of facts in support of his or her claims that would
entitle the plaintiff to relief. Rubinstein v. Collins, 20 F.3d 160
(5th Cir.1994).

III.

ARGUMENT AND AUTHORITIES

A. Plaintiff makes alleges no causes of action against Texas Tech
University


Plaintiff specifies five (5) causes of action in his Verified
Complaint. In none of these does Plaintiff allege a legally
recognizable cause of action against TTU. Plaintiff describes two
Defendants as faculty members of TTU. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 16-17. Plaintiffs only other reference to Texas Tech again
mentions that TTU recently hired two Defendants and that TTU allowed
those Defendants to use TTU computers. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 40-41. TTU y denies that any alleged defamatory messages in
this case were sent from any TTU omputer. TTU is not identified as
committing any action identified in Counts I-V. Because of this,
Plaintiff does not demonstrate to the court that it has subject matter
jurisdiction with respect to TTU, nor does Plaintiff state a claim
upon which relief can be granted. Defendant is therefor entitled to
dismissal from all aspects of this lawsuit.

B. Eleventh Amendment Immunity bars Plaintiffs � 1983 Claim against
Texas Tech University

If Plaintiff makes any possible claim against TTU, it is the
vindication of his Constitutional rights under 42 U.S.C. � 1983. While
Plaintiff has not asserted such claims against TTU, such claims would
be barred in the event that they were made.

It is well-settled that the Eleventh Amendment deprives a federal
court of jurisdiction to hear a suit against the State of Texas,
regardless of the relief sought, unless sovereign immunity is
expressly waived. Pennhurst State Sch. & Hosp. v. Halderman, 465 U.S.
89, 100-02,104 S.Ct 900, 908-09 (1984); Edelman v. Jordan, 415 U.S.
651,662-63,94 S.Ct. 1347,1355-56 (1974). Congress may, however,
abrogate a State's sovereign immunity under the Eleventh Amendment.
Kimel v. Florida Bd. Of Regents, 528 U.S.62,120 S.Ct. 631, 644 (2000);
Seminole Tribe of Florida v. Florida, 517 U.S. 44, 55, 116 S.Ct. 1114,
1123-24 (1996). Likewise, a State may waive its immunity to suit in
federal court. Port Auth. Trans-Hudson Corp. v. Feeney, 495 U.S. 299,
305, 110 S.Ct. 1868, 1873 (1990); Atascadero State Hosp. v. Scanlon,
473 U.S. 234, 105 S.Ct. 3142 (1985). In order to waive its immunity to
suit in federal court, however, a State "must specify [its] intention
to subject itself in federal court."' Feeney, 495 U.S. at 306, 110
S.Ct. at 1873 (quoting Atascadero, 473 U.S. 241. 105 S.Ct. at 3146)
(emphasis in original). State universities are afforded Eleventh
Amendment immunity as a matter of law. See Dube v. State University of
New York, 900 F.2d 587, X9-1 (2d Cir.1990), (The Second Circuit held
that "[f)or Eleventh Amendment purposes, SUNY is an integral part of
the government of the State of New York and when it is sued the State
is the real party." (citing State Univ. of New York v. Syracuse Univ.,
285 A.D. 59, 61, 135 N.Y.S.2d 539, 542 (3d Dept.1954); see also State
University of New York v. Syracuse, 206 Misc. 1003, 137 N.Y.S.2d 916
(Sup.Ct. Albany Cty.1954), affd, 285 A.D. 59, 135 N.Y.S.2d 539 (3d
Dept.1954); People v. Branham, 53 Misc.2d 346, 347-48, 278 N.Y.S.2d
494, 496 (Sup.Ct. Albany Cty.1967) ("the State University is an
integral part of the government of the State and when it is sued the
State is the real party").

TTU as a Defendant is entitled to Eleventh Amendment immunity unless
such immunity has been waived by a valid exercise of Congressional or
State legislative action. See United States v. Texas Tech Univ., 171 F.
3d 279, 289 (5th Cir.1999) (holding that Eleventh Amendment protects
Texas Tech University and its medical branch). Section 1983 does not
abrogate a state's Eleventh Amendment immunity and there has been no
waiver for section 1983 claims on the part of the State. See Quern v.
Jordan, 440 U.S. 332 (1979). Absent waiver or abrogation, sovereign
immunity extends to all state agencies because the State is the real
party in interest. See F. D.1. C. v. Meyer, 510 U.S. 471, 484-86
(1994); Kentucky v. Graham, 473 U.S. 159, 169 (1985). Nor has Texas
waived its immunity to suit in federal court under constitutional tort
statutes such as �� 1981, 1983, 1985
I A particularly strict standard applies: immunity to suit in federal
court is waived only by "the most express language or by such
overwhelming implication from the text as [will] leave no room for any
other reasonable construction." Feeney, 495 U.S. at 305-06, 110 S.Ct.
at 1873.

and 1986. See e.g., Aguilar v. Texas Dept. of Crim. Justice, Inst.
Div., 160 F.3d 1052, 1054 (5th Cir. ). cert. denied, 120 S.Ct. 130
(1999). Consequently, this Court lacks jurisdiction over any uses of
action alleged by Plaintiff against Texas Tech University, and the
case against TTU should be dismissed as a matter of law.

C. Texas Tech University is not a person within the meaning of � 1983

Likewise, Plaintiff would be unable to obtain relief because TTU is
not a "person" in the � 1983 context. See, e.g., Hafer v. Melo, 502
U.S. 21, 22-23, 112 S.Ct. 358, 360 (1991); Will v. Michigan Dept. Of
State Police, 491 U.S. 58, 71,109 S.Ct. 2304, 2312 (1989); Pennhurst,
465 U.S. at 101, 104 S.Ct. at 908-09. In Jett v. Dallas Indep. Sch.
Dist., 491 U.S. 701, 731, 109 S.Ct. 2702, 2721 (1989), the court said
the legislative history of Section 1983 (the Civil Rights Act of 1871)
indicates that "Congress intended that the explicit remedial
provisions of � 1983 be controlling in the context of damages actions
brought against state actors alleging violation of the rights declared
in �1981."

D. Plaintiff's Claim Against Texas Tech University is Barred by the 42
U.S.C. � 230.


TTU specifically denies that any alleged defamatory messages in this
case were sent from any TTU computer. Even if such messages were sent
from a TTU computer, any potential claim by Plaintiff against TTU in
this case is barred by the Communications Decency Act of 1996 ("CDA"),
47 U.S.C. � 230, et seq. Section 230 provides that "[n]o provider or
user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the
publisher or speaker of any information provided by another



footnote 2 In 1991 Congress amended � 1981 to add 1981(c) which
provided in part that the "rights protected" are protected against
"impairment under color of State law," but these provisions did not
overrule Jett, by allowing a direct cause of action under � 1981
against state actors. Oden v. Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, 246 F.3d
458, 463 (5th Cir. 200 1)("We are persuaded that the conclusion in
Jett remains the same after Congress enacted the 1991 amendments.")


information content provider," id . � 230(c)(1), and that "[n]o cause
of action may be brought and liability may be imposed under any State
or local law that is inconsistent with this section," id.
230(e)(3). Section 230(c) thus immunizes internet service providers
from defamation and other, on-intellectual property, state law claims
arising from third-party content. See Gucci Am., Inc. v. Hall &
Assocs., 135 F.Supp. 2d 409, 417 (S.D. N.Y.2001). By its plain
language, � 230 creates a federal immunity to any cause of action that
would make service providers liable for information originating with a
third party user of the service. See Zeran v. America Online, Inc.,
129 F.3d 327, 330 (4th Cir.1997). Specifically, � 230 precludes courts
from entertaining claims that would place a computer service provider
in a publisher's role. Zeran at 330. The Zeran quotation, in context,
refers to defamation and other forms of tort liability. Gucci Am.,
Inc. at 415.

In the instant case, TTU operates only in the role of an interactive
computer service. � 230 (f)(2) defines "Interactive computer service"
as:

The term "interactive computer service" means any information service,
system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer
access by multiple users to a computer server, including specifically
a service or system that provides access to the Internet and such
systems operated or services offered by libraries or educational
institutions.

Clearly in this case, the allegation that TTU allowed other Defendants
to use TTU computers puts TTU in the role of an interactive computer
service. Consequently, under Zeran and the other authority cited
supra, TTU is immune from the claims of this suit, and is entitled to
dismissal.

IV.
CONCLUSION

This Court should dismiss Plaintiff's claims against Texas tech
University as described hereinabove.

WHEREFORE, Defendant prays that Plaintiff take nothing by his suit,
and that Defendant recovers all such other and further relief, special
or general, at law or in equity, to which it is justly entitled,
including but not limited to its costs incurred herein.

Respectfully Submitted,

GREG ABBOTT Attorney General of Texas

KENT C. SULLIVAN
First Assistant Attorney General

DAVID S. MORALES
Deputy Attorney General for Civil Litigation

ROBERT B. O'KEEFE
Chief Litigation Division

SCOT M. GRAYDON
Texas Bar N. 24002175
Assistant Attorney General
General Litigation Division
P.O. Box 12548, Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711-2548
(512) 463-2120
(512) 320-0667 FAX

ATTORNEYS FOR DEFENDANT TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY

  #3   Report Post  
Old November 20th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer, misc.legal, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss



artichoke wrote:
Here's my reaction to TTU's four points:

A. "TTU y denies that any alleged defamatory messages in this case
were sent from any TTU computer. " sounds like an assertion to be
debated at trial, not granted at this point to dismiss the case.

B. I don't know anything about this legal point.

C. If TTU isn't a "person" nobody could ever sue them. Maybe there's
more to it than this, but this doesn't seem very likely to hold up.

D. Again, I don't know enough to have an opinion about this.

So I think they're relying on the 11th amendment (B) and the CDA
(D).



I believe what they're saying is that Texas Tech is not a "person" as
the term is used in 42 USC 1983. This is a civil rights law about
"persons" acting "under color of law." It is generally used for things
like cops beating people up for trying to run voter-registration
drives. I don't know if they're right, but the Texas AG probably knows
more about this than either of us. I agree that the 11th Amendment and
Section 230 arguments are the important ones. The rest seems to be
there in case Sloan tries to amend his complaint somehow.
  #4   Report Post  
Old November 20th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 89
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss


Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit


TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITYS MOTION TO DISMISS


Plaintiff specifies five (5) causes of action in his Verified
Complaint. In none of these does Plaintiff allege a legally
recognizable cause of action against TTU. Plaintiff describes two
Defendants as faculty members of TTU. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 16-17. Plaintiffs only other reference to Texas Tech again
mentions that TTU recently hired two Defendants and that TTU allowed
those Defendants to use TTU computers. See Verified Complaint,
Paragraphs 40-41. TTU y denies that any alleged defamatory messages in
this case were sent from any TTU omputer. TTU is not identified as
committing any action identified in Counts I-V.


In other words, Sloan never claimed that TTU did anything wrong.

There is nothing illegal about hiring someone who Sloan is suing,
and there is nothing illegal about letting them use a TTU computer
for purposes unrelated to Sloan -- and that's all Sloan claimed.

Sloan did not claim that the alleged defamatory messages were
sent from any TTU omputer -- he only claimed that TTU allowed the
defendants to use TTU computers without specifying what that use
was.

It is well-settled that the Eleventh Amendment deprives a federal
court of jurisdiction to hear a suit against the State of Texas,
regardless of the relief sought, unless sovereign immunity is
expressly waived.


Sovereign immunity: you cannot sue the government witout the governmen's
permission. Texas gives you permission to sue TTU in a Texas court,
but denies you permission to sue TTU in a federal court.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soverei...reign_immunity
http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/s103.htm

TTU specifically denies that any alleged defamatory messages in this
case were sent from any TTU computer. Even if such messages were sent
from a TTU computer, any potential claim by Plaintiff against TTU in
this case is barred by the Communications Decency Act of 1996 ("CDA"),
47 U.S.C. � 230, et seq. Section 230 provides that "[n]o provider or
user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the
publisher or speaker of any information provided by another


You can't sue the telephone company for allowing someone to use a
telephone while slandering you. You can't arrest the president
of Ford because he sold a car to someone who used it to rob a bank.
And you can't sue TTU for for allowing someone to use a TTU computer
while slandering you (assuming that such a thing actually happened,
which TTU denies).

This is an important protection. Look at all the stuff that gets
posted to this newsgroup; do we really want people to be able to sue
the owners of every computer that propagates those messages? No.
Any lawsuits must be limited to those who posted the messages.
Otherwise the Internet and the telephone system would both be
shut down to avoid lawsuits.

I am hoping that this will all end with Sloan being convicted of
being a serial abuser of the legal system and barred from filing
any further lawsuits without getting the court's permission first.


  #5   Report Post  
Old November 20th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,576
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

On Nov 20, 4:55 am, wrote:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit


I am hoping that this will all end with Sloan being convicted of
being a serial abuser of the legal system and barred from filing
any further lawsuits without getting the court's permission first.


Not a chance in hell the above scenario will happen.

I will save Sloan by filing a lawsuit in Chicago, IL and petition the
court to reinstate Sloan to the Executive Board of the USCF!
This legal struggle won't end with Sloan being barred from pro se
filings, I can tell you that.
I can't allow these death threats by USCF Vice President Paul Troung
against me. So, when Sloan gets haw lawsuit dismissed,
I'll just file my own lawsuit in Chicago.

This is a director / former director ****ing contest. I'll **** on
everyone. Sloan is
getting back on the Executive Board. I am currently moving around the
cash to file such a suit.
I see little point in filing until Sloan gets a dismissal or
discovery. You people deserve Sam, that is,
you chess politicans.

When corporate officers threaten to kill former officers, as Paul
Troung threatened to kill
me, then we are going to have real attorneys talk about this in real
courts. Sloan
Is just part of the circus.

Marcus Roberts
former USCF Vice President



  #6   Report Post  
Old November 20th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss



wrote:
On Nov 20, 4:55 am, wrote:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit


I am hoping that this will all end with Sloan being convicted of
being a serial abuser of the legal system and barred from filing
any further lawsuits without getting the court's permission first.


Not a chance in hell the above scenario will happen.

I will save Sloan by filing a lawsuit in Chicago, IL and petition the
court to reinstate Sloan to the Executive Board of the USCF!
This legal struggle won't end with Sloan being barred from pro se
filings, I can tell you that.
I can't allow these death threats by USCF Vice President Paul Troung
against me. So, when Sloan gets haw lawsuit dismissed,
I'll just file my own lawsuit in Chicago.

This is a director / former director ****ing contest. I'll **** on
everyone. Sloan is
getting back on the Executive Board. I am currently moving around the
cash to file such a suit.
I see little point in filing until Sloan gets a dismissal or
discovery. You people deserve Sam, that is,
you chess politicans.

When corporate officers threaten to kill former officers, as Paul
Troung threatened to kill
me, then we are going to have real attorneys talk about this in real
courts. Sloan
Is just part of the circus.

Marcus Roberts
former USCF Vice President



Is there a full moon out tonight? BTW, Marcus was never USCF Vice
President. At one time he was a "Regional Vice-President," a trivial
and vestigial office (there were 36 of them at the time).
  #7   Report Post  
Old November 21st 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,576
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

On Nov 20, 5:22 pm, wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 20, 4:55 am, wrote:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit


I am hoping that this will all end with Sloan being convicted of
being a serial abuser of the legal system and barred from filing
any further lawsuits without getting the court's permission first.


Not a chance in hell the above scenario will happen.


I will save Sloan by filing a lawsuit in Chicago, IL and petition the
court to reinstate Sloan to the Executive Board of the USCF!
This legal struggle won't end with Sloan being barred from pro se
filings, I can tell you that.
I can't allow these death threats by USCF Vice President Paul Troung
against me. So, when Sloan gets haw lawsuit dismissed,
I'll just file my own lawsuit in Chicago.


This is a director / former director ****ing contest. I'll **** on
everyone. Sloan is
getting back on the Executive Board. I am currently moving around the
cash to file such a suit.
I see little point in filing until Sloan gets a dismissal or
discovery. You people deserve Sam, that is,
you chess politicans.


When corporate officers threaten to kill former officers, as Paul
Troung threatened to kill
me, then we are going to have real attorneys talk about this in real
courts. Sloan
Is just part of the circus.


Marcus Roberts
former USCF Vice President


Is there a full moon out tonight? BTW, Marcus was never USCF Vice
President. At one time he was a "Regional Vice-President," a trivial
and vestigial office (there were 36 of them at the time).- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


But I was a officer of the company, which is actually a very important
fact in this coming
Litigation. I also witnessed the company cover up child molesters who
were directors, and
I seriously doubt that the court will allow Vice President Troung to
continue in his role. I am the only officer that will support putting
Sloan back on the board, and I will pay for it, because Paul is
threatening to kill me on the usenet.

But, Paul, you are going to lose your job soon, so what do you care of
your chess position?

Marcus Roberts
former USCF corporate officer
  #8   Report Post  
Old November 21st 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Howling Mad Marcus



wrote:
On Nov 20, 5:22 pm, wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 20, 4:55 am, wrote:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit


I am hoping that this will all end with Sloan being convicted of
being a serial abuser of the legal system and barred from filing
any further lawsuits without getting the court's permission first.


Not a chance in hell the above scenario will happen.


I will save Sloan by filing a lawsuit in Chicago, IL and petition the
court to reinstate Sloan to the Executive Board of the USCF!
This legal struggle won't end with Sloan being barred from pro se
filings, I can tell you that.
I can't allow these death threats by USCF Vice President Paul Troung
against me. So, when Sloan gets haw lawsuit dismissed,
I'll just file my own lawsuit in Chicago.


This is a director / former director ****ing contest. I'll **** on
everyone. Sloan is
getting back on the Executive Board. I am currently moving around the
cash to file such a suit.
I see little point in filing until Sloan gets a dismissal or
discovery. You people deserve Sam, that is,
you chess politicans.


When corporate officers threaten to kill former officers, as Paul
Troung threatened to kill
me, then we are going to have real attorneys talk about this in real
courts. Sloan
Is just part of the circus.


Marcus Roberts
former USCF Vice President


Is there a full moon out tonight? BTW, Marcus was never USCF Vice
President. At one time he was a "Regional Vice-President," a trivial
and vestigial office (there were 36 of them at the time).- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


But I was a officer of the company, which is actually a very important
fact in this coming
Litigation. I also witnessed the company cover up child molesters who
were directors, and
I seriously doubt that the court will allow Vice President Troung to
continue in his role. I am the only officer that will support putting
Sloan back on the board, and I will pay for it, because Paul is
threatening to kill me on the usenet.

But, Paul, you are going to lose your job soon, so what do you care of
your chess position?

Marcus Roberts
former USCF corporate officer



Do you really believe that nonsense? RVPs were not "officers of the
corporation." They were arguably "directors," since they got t vote at
the Delegates Meeting, but you haven't been one for about 20 years.
Neither Truong nor anyone else has threatened to kill you, attractive
though the idea may be.

Take some advice, Marcus. Get yourself examined and treated. At the
rate your mental state is decaying, sooner or later you're going to be
a danger to yourself or others, rather than just a figure of fun.
  #9   Report Post  
Old November 21st 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 9,302
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

On Nov 20, 6:22 pm, wrote:

Is there a full moon out tonight? BTW, Marcus was never USCF Vice
President. At one time he was a "Regional Vice-President," a trivial
and vestigial office (there were 36 of them at the time).


That shows how little you know; this isn't about who
held what specific office; it is about bragging!

The howls always seem to center around the idea
of "I'm more important than everyone else, because
I have lots and lots of money". Mr. Roberts is already
switching from his king-size bed in the East wing so
he can begin to unload the mattresses (it is three
layers high, you know) and get to the bank. He was
getting tired of the same old view of original Picasso
paintings on the walls anyhow, and in the West wing
he can sleep soundly, knowing that the imported
marble walls and floors are decorated with modern
art pieces -- a solid gold sculpture of "Rocky Balboa",
a few pieces from the Bobby Fischer ebay auctions,
and so forth.

Why can't the little people understand just how much
more important Mr. Roberts is because of his money?
After all, money can buy happiness, politicians, and
many other things. The only thing is can't seem to
buy is respect... he still gets none of that around here.


-- help bot



  #10   Report Post  
Old November 21st 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 9,302
Default Texas Tech University files Motion to Dismiss

On Nov 20, 11:09 pm, wrote:

I am the only officer that will support putting
Sloan back on the board, and I will pay for it, because Paul is
threatening to kill me on the usenet.


Then just stay away from the usenet. Take the side
roads, or get a bullet-proof Hummer.


-- helpful bot
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sam Sloan censured by Executive Board Duncan Oxley rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 30 December 8th 06 12:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017