Old November 24th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Kasparov was arrested in Moscow

Russian police have detained opposition leader and former world chess
champion Garry Kasparov and other critics of President Putin at a
rally in Moscow organised by Mr Kasparov's Other Russia coalition.
About 3,000 protesters attended, including for the first time the
leader of one of the mainstream liberal parties - a sign that the
movement is growing.

More info: http://en.chessfish.com/modules/news...hp?storyid=554
Old November 24th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 24, 1:44 pm, Kidon wrote:
Russian police have detained opposition leader and former world chess
champion Garry Kasparov and other critics of President Putin at a
rally in Moscow organised by Mr Kasparov's Other Russia coalition.
About 3,000 protesters attended, including for the first time the
leader of one of the mainstream liberal parties - a sign that the
movement is growing.

More info:http://en.chessfish.com/modules/news...hp?storyid=554

See, this makes it more difficult for chess officials (real diplomats)
to go to Moscow. If
my Prime Minster or Ambassador is caught talking to Gary Kasporv in
Mosocw, we
would be accused of interfering in the internal affairs of Russia.

Our diplomat would be expelled from Russia.

In fact, relations could be broken.

THIS IS NOT A NOTE YOU WANT TO TAKE HOME

It is my job to tell me government what NOT to do. I have to say DO
NOT TALK TO GARY
KASPROV, due to the Vienna Conventions non intereference clause.

This isn't about chess.

Marcus Roberts
Permanent Delegate of St Kitts and Nevis to FIDE
Old November 25th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Tough talk from the White House: "We are particularly concerned by the
arrests and detentions of leaders of the opposition, including Garry
Kasparov, and call for them to be given proper access to legal counsel
and fair treatment in processing."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071125...s_071125231235

That should scare Putin.

Old November 26th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 25, 5:57 pm, wrote:
Tough talk from the White House: "We are particularly concerned by the
arrests and detentions of leaders of the opposition, including Garry
Kasparov, and call for them to be given proper access to legal counsel
and fair treatment in processing."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071125...icsdemosus_071...

That should scare Putin.

Has there been any statement from the USCF? Of course, it will not
scare Putin, but I do not understamd why there should not be a
statement of support for Kasparov.

Jerry Spinrad