Old July 10th 03, 09:46 AM
Fifiela

Default Another Longtime Chess Club Bites the Dust

The local news showed up on the last day and filmed a piece that was
aired.

Best to Ted and fond memories of Ruby.

Allan
Old July 10th 03, 11:04 AM
Jane Adams

Why do they always show up on the "last" day?

Where were they when you needed them? Covering the Peterson's tragedy?

Jane

"Duncan Oxley" wrote in message
The local news showed up on the last day and filmed a piece
that was aired.

You can see that he
http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/k...s%20center.wmv

Duncan

"Duncan Oxley" wrote in message
My local club just closed after 37 years of continuous operation.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...ws/6183852.htm

http://www.chessdryad.com/photos/monterey/index.htm

Old July 10th 03, 06:36 PM
RSHaas

"First, it isn't clear at all that this is a "Mensa model." Be that as it may,
it's meaningless to chess in the US generally, and to USCF in particular."
(Kevin L. Bachler)
============
The Mensa model for chess as I discuss it borrows only a few features from
the real Mensa: 1) Sharing a portion of the national dues with 2) an
appropriate unit that would cover the metropolitan scale. In the broadest of
brushes, that is what I call the Mensa model for chess.
I insist on the metropolitan scale because that scale is the basic market
for organized chess and therefore the one that should be capitalized for best
effect.
Meanwhile, please outline what you think are the "real issues." I'm always
interested in what you have to say. (RSHaas)
Old July 11th 03, 12:02 AM
joe mccarron

I don't know exactly how it would all work but I do agree there should
be a better way then saying I will spend $25 for my state association
and $50 for my national association and $25 for my local club. When
only the local club offers services that come close to the price paid.
I think we shoudl think about the services and what level shoudl
handle each eg.,

1) ratings - definitely national
2) magazine- probably national and either a state *or* regional not
both.
3) advertising of events -state - some national and local.
4) finding places to play - local
5) finding workers to run tournaments do press releases etc. - local

These are just a few of the tasks. What I find is that the cheap
tasks like keeping tack of ratings goes to the national level but the
national level cost the most. The local clubs are the cheapest but
are expected to supply the expensive items like a place to play and
workers.

I think the problem with running it all through some federal center is
they will take to big of a cut. I agree with the locals getting
something back (or put another way I would rather more went to local
clubs instead of the national organization) but I think the better way
would just be to cut back on everything national except the magazine
and ratings and let the state and local orgs charge more.

Old July 11th 03, 03:57 AM
RSHaas

"...but I think the better way
would just be to cut back on everything national except the magazine
and ratings and let the state and local orgs charge more." (joemccarron)
============
That is my favorite alternative to the Mensa model... a cheap Chess HQ that
allows downstream orgs to accumulate working capital. There is some practical
limit to the amount of money chess players will pay for their "gross
memberships," meaning national, state, local, etc. The problem with the USCF
is that it hogs up most of the gross membership. The effect is to denude local
working capital. But chess works best when there is money downstream from
Chess HQ. Usually this comes only in the form of a self financed individual
promoter. His capital is external to the organizational structure of chess.
When he quits, he removes his working capital... and chess goes dead in River
City. A scheme like my favorite Mensa model is designed to internalize working
capital and position it directly upon the basic market for chess.. the metro
market. In that fashion the District org would be able to bring a reasonably
good chess environment to the broad run of players within the District. What's
wrong with that scheme? I cannot understand why so many on rgcp hate that
scheme. They ought to be banging the table in favor of it. (RSHaas)
Old July 11th 03, 04:19 AM
RSHaas

"USCF did that. Mensa also has state chapters and SIG's."
Mensa's operational units are largely metro in scale. Florida has lots of
them. There is even one for my area, the Manasota Mensa which was carved out
from the Tampa Bay Mensa some years ago. You can see all the maps on Mensa's
website. Mensa may have state chapters in places where there is no alternative.
(RSHaas)