Old April 19th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Truong Misses the Point

From chessdiscussion:
by PaulTruong on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:12 pm
It's good that people are paying attention to it now. It's too bad that
the USCF leadership does not because if they did, they would have asked
for help long ago. Even after getting this kind of horrendous numbers,
no one asked for help.

You know what this reminds me of? I read sometime ago that there were
instances where young kids were sick and they needed medical attention.
But instead of bringing the kids to the doctors or hospitals, some
parents refused to do so and instead pray for their recovery. They
really believed that only prayers could make everything better instead
of medical intervention. The same can be said about the USCF. In this
case, instead of immediately cutting waste (not services to the
members), unite everyone and start an emergency drive to raise revenues,
they are still too busy playing politics.

If Susan did not talk about this, members would not have known about it
and some board members will spin this situation. Everything Susan and I
told them many months ago is happening now. Either they were clueless or
they were too arrogant to realize how vulnerable the USCF is. I do not
care how they plan to spin it but it is NOT going to get better unless
the USCF is willing to revamp the current miserable and failing system.
What they are doing now is NOT working and it has NOT worked in years.

This federation has a long pattern of "fighting to survive" year after
year. This is not how you run a professional operation. It will get much
worse in the next fiscal year unless the man in charge will get off his
high horse, put aside his ego, and ask for help. But that has not
happened in like 30-40 years? The specific ideas were told to the board
and the ED. They did not seem to care. We offered to help. They
basically said no thanks. Sorry but I am not into playing games. I am
too busy doing other productive things for chess. I cannot make them
take medicine if they refuse to open their mouths.

SPICE and SPF raised more than $1,000,000 in donations, scholarships and
in-kind sponsorships for our many programs and events (Category 12 & 14
SPICE Cup, SP National Invitational for Girls, SP All-Star Training for
Girls, SPICE Cup Open, Lubbock Open, SP World and National Open for
Girls, SP World and National Chess Challenge for Boys, chess training
and workshops for Teachers, Chess: It's a Girl Thing Special Camp, in
school chess training for children, FREE sets, boards, chess DVDs,
books, and USCF memberships for various schools and children, etc.) in
less than one year. This number will continue to increase.

The board and the ED have our email addresses and phone numbers. They
know how to contact us if they need help. I somehow highly doubt that it
will happen. Welcome to the real USCF!

The final paragraph is amazing. They have been on the board for nearly
nine months and all he can say is that the board and ED have their
addresses and phone numbers. That is the lamest excuse for not doing
ones job after promising to bring in million dollar sponsors while bad
mouthing all the evil chess politicians. Trolgar, you're either part of
the problem or part of the solution. Clearly, you're the problem and
haven't a clue as to a financial solution.

BTW, how about a detailed accounting of what you've brought in to SPICA
and the Polgar Foundation as claimed above? It would be nice to see if
you've breached your fiduciary duty of loyalty to the USCF by not
informing the USCF of economic opportunities.