Old May 1st 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Shirov's Sad Saga

On May 1, 5:34 pm, " wrote:

FISCHER & KASPAROV ON THE USCF (some 20-odd years ago)

“As far as the U.S. Chess Federation goes, I have nothing to do with
them, I consider them to be a pro-Soviet, criminal organization,
terrible people. I would like...I would appreciate it if all my fans
canceled their subscriptions to their horrible magazine Chess Life. I
call it Chess Lies -- and withdrew from membership of this
organization.” -- Bobby Fischer

I think Mr. Fischer may have had difficulty with the
fact that perhaps 5% of the magazine's overall slant
was not rabidly pro-Fischer. For instance, during
the time when bogus rationales were discussed at
length in a vain attempt to "justify" the multitude of
Fischer demands, Larry Evans wrote a nice piece
pointing out that they were not fair, and Chess Lies
published it. That was too much "sunlight" for Mr.
Fischer to handle.

“The small minded leaders of the Unites States Chess Federation try to
keep it an amateur game and must be purged like entrenched Communist
Bureaucrats.” -- Garry Kasparov

It would be nice if comments by Gary Kasparov
were accompanied by dates; the point is that the
poor fellow has a nasty habit of changing his
positions, the way most people change their
socks. He even jumped into bed with FIDE at
one point-- an act which surprised even me.

And so it goes.

The nutters seem to be falling back to their
trenches, desperately seeking some sort of
"support" -- even the "support" of other nutters,
if need be. I am reminded of an old quotation,
in which the retirement of Reubin Fine from
chess was described as: "a loss for chess,
and at best, a draw for psychology".

-- help bot