Old May 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Pre tournament publicity vagueness

It looks like some parent(s) has had enough of the vagueness of the
pre-tournament publicity on the Polgar blog site regarding the Official SP
National Invitational Qualifier:
Anonymous said...
Please see the USCF Rulebook:
32A. Announcement. Prizes to be awarded and the methods used to allocate
them must be announced in pre-tournament publicity if they vary from the
standards below. In all cases, these guidelines apply equally to individuals
or teams.
What does "Scholarships to Texas Tech will be awarded based in part on
performance in this event." mean?
Can you be more specific? It costs a lot of money to travel to Las Vegas and
if I am going to foot the bill I need to know what my child is playing for -
with details.
Thank you.
Friday, May 2, 2008 6:25:00 AM CDT

Throwing around phrases like "Over $100,000 in scholarships and cool chess
prizes are available"
is enticing, but is it enough detail to satisfy tournament advertising
standards?