Old May 17th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.brazil,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.magyar

Default Citibank Cheats Grandmaster Benko out of $70,000

On May 4, 5:54 am, (Sam Sloan) wrote:
--- wrote:

I assume that GM Benko is actually pleased to have people know about the
case -- this is an instance where the louder the shouting, the more likely justice will be done.

ECJ

In a message dated 5/3/2008 5:33:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Sam: I realize these are public records but why are you sending them to me and hundreds of other people?
This is not any of my business. Just because you can does not mean you should.

David Spigel

Sam is not sending them to people. He is posting them in Usenet
discussion groups. If you choose to receive all the messages in a
Usenet discussion group, that is your choice, not Sam's.

This is a legitimate question. The answer is that, as you can see,
this case has been going on for a long time. All this time,
Grandmaster Benko assumed that it was just a matter of time before he
received his rightful inheritance and thus he was patiently waiting
and saw no reason to make this case openly public.

However, he is completely shocked by the decision by Surrogate Glen,
who by the way is a new judge who was rated as "Unqualified" by the
Bar Association when she ran for election in 2005. She was strongly
opposed by the legal establishment. You can still find some references
to her 2005 election campaign on the Internet where she claimed to be
the champion of the "little guy" against the big monolithic
corporations. This is quite ironic in view of her recent decision.

Every chess player and regular reader of these groups will know that
Woman's International Master Ruth Cardoso and Grandmaster Pal Benko
were constant companions for 30 years and every time in those 30 years
that Grandmaster Benko came to a major chess tournament or visited a
local chess club he was always accompanied by Ruth Cardoso and visa
versa. Thus, we will all know that it is impossible that she would
have left her money to the "poor people living in the slums of Brazil"
or to a previously unknown German Consular Officer named Wolfgang
Roddewig. I have been wondering whether the Nation of Germany can be
held responsible for this misconduct by one of their consular
officers.

If he is an honorary consul. I believe the main responsibility of his
position is to assist German nationals rather than the poor people
living in the slums of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. If he himself is a
German national, he may have misused his position to interfere in the
affairs of a Brazilian national, and ought to be prosecuted under
German law.

Incidentally, right after receiving the money, Wolfgang Roddewig was
involved in a serious auto accident in Brazil. Although he barely
survived the accident, he is now said to be an invalid in a wheelchair
and is not able to respond to these motions (or to give back the
money).

Given the circumstances, one might suspect that Roddewig had a more
urgent use for the money himself.

If Grandmaster Benko does not succeed against Citibank, Roddewig's
claimed injury may be all the satisfaction he can get. Citibank ought
to realize that Benko is an esteemed figure in Hungary, and that
publication in Hungary of their carelessness harming Benko must
reflect badly on their ability to conduct business internationally. I
wonder if Metro publishes in Budapest.

Sam Sloan

David Ames