Old May 18th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Madness! Madness!

"Madness! Madness! ", spoken by Major Clipton, saying the final words
in the movie "Bridge on the River Kwai":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050212/quotes

Only a few months ago, the newly elected members of the USCF Executive
Board were congratulating themselves on what a highly qualified and
experienced team they were, who would be able to lead the USCF to
great glories.

Now, even as I type this, they are sitting in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at a
meeting in which they are contemplating the final destruction of the
federation by stopping the publication of Chess Life magazine.

It looks like they are planning to do this without bothering to
consult the members or the delegates, similar to the way in which the
2004-2005 move from New Windsor New York to Crossville Tennessee was
done, without requesting or obtaining the permission of the delegates,
so that when the delegates finally meet in Dallas and August it will
have become a fait accompli, too late for anything to be done about
it.

Are they completely mad?

Old May 18th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On May 18, 1:58´┐Żam, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

Does this mean the long anticipated arrival of the Mensa-like Metro
Districts will be delayed a few more weeks?

Old Haasie
Old May 18th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Does this rant have any source outside your imagination? No one is
proposing "stopping the publication of Chess Life magazine." Even you,
in your saner moments, admitted that the risk was an _eventual_
phasing out of the printed magazine some years down the line. The EB
doesn't have the authority to restructure the dues without a vote of
the Delegates, something an ex-Board member (even a disgraced one)
ought to know. They can add additional "promotional" rates, but they
can't change or abolish any of the existing ones. And if they did
create some new categories, they couldn't appear in the magazine until
July -- just in time for the Delegates Meeting. It almost seems as if
you are _trying_ to discredit your own argument. With friends like
you, CL doesn't need any enemies.
Old May 18th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Here are two quotes from postings by Randy Bauer so far during the
meeting that is going on in Tulsa. It certainly sounds like that they
are planning on dropping the magazine right now. Remember that in
order for the USCF to stop losing money it is not necessary to stop
publishing Chess Life (except as an independent subscriber based
publication). It is only necessary to drop about three people from the
payroll and I can easily think of three people on the payroll who
provide nothing of any significant benefit to the members.

Sam Sloan

"Ms. Alarie appears to want a research project. I doubt we will ever
find an organization that would meet her demands for something that
fits the characteristics of the USCF. Instead, she wishes to accept
the "great" analysis of Sam Sloan, who suggests that the fact that the
Wall Street Journal has lowered its price for online subcriptions
somehow means the USCF setting up a two-tiered pricing structure for
its membership based on getting the magazine or getting it online is
dispositive.

"Great research, Ms. Alarie.

"it is tiresome, to say the least, to hear people complain about
designing a dues structure that accepts the fact that fewer and fewer
people subscribe to, and read print magazines. Where have these people
been? I have yet to hear anybody refute the point I made that print
media has the worst credit outlook of any sector of the economy. Why,
Ms. Alarie, do you think that is? Why, Ms. Alarie, do you not view
that as useful information? Please, Ms. Alarie, tell us a forecaster
who suggests that organizations or for profit corporations should be
basing their communications strategy on magazines?

"IT DOESN'T EXIST. IT IS A DINASOUR. GET OVER IT.

"Time to move on. If Ms. Alarie really disagrees. . . well, she should
chat with Moodys and Standard and Poors.

"Randy Bauer"

"We are not eliminating the magazine, and those who do value it will
continue to pay for it. Ms. Alarie - please, what is wrong with that?

"There are those who do not value the magazine, and they will not have
to pay for it. Ms. Alarie - please, what is wrong with that?

"You are seeking "accountability" - isn't aligning costs with those
who value those expenditures accountability. Ms. Alarie - please, what
is wrong with that?

"There was plenty of analysis done by Mr. Goichberg, Mr. Nolan, Mr.
Unruh, and others to arrive at the projections. We will be happy to
share this with any and all in Dallas. What is the problem?

"Meanwhile, I'm still interested in your reading of the LMA loss -
what do you think of that $21,000 loss, which no Executive Board
member had a say in and Chuck Unruh advised against? Is that a GOTCHA
you would direct elsewhere? Should the EB suggest that the LMA
Committee relinquish that responsibility? Don't you think that is a
material issue for the current year finances?

"Randy Bauer"
Old May 18th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:

Only a few months ago, the newly elected members of the USCF Executive
Board were...

Now, even as I type this, they are sitting in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at a
meeting in which they are...

It looks like they are planning to do this without bothering to
consult the members...

I have an idea! If, as you imply, you speak for the membership
and they don't, why don't you run for office? Your overwhelming
victory will show everyone once and for all who it is who speaks
for the mambers!

Oh. I forgot. The members voted and you lost the election by a
wide margin. I guess you don't speak for the members after all.

Old May 18th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:

Here are two quotes from postings by Randy Bauer so far during the
meeting that is going on in Tulsa. It certainly sounds like that they
are planning on dropping the magazine right now.

[...]

"We are not eliminating the magazine..."

Moron.

Old May 19th 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Have you read the Goichberg proposal? The "New Plan" advocated by
Goichberg is to make Chess Life magazine optional. He has also stated
that if there are not enough subscribers to Chess Life, the
subscription rate will be raised or the print version will be
eliminated and the magazine will be entirely online.

Goichberg proposes that the dues for those who do not want to receive
the print version of Chess Life will be $12 less than what he calls
the "premium membership" for those who do not receive Chess Life.
Also, life members will not receive Chess Life any more unless they
pay for the premium membership.

Here is what Randy Bauer wrote about Chess Life yesterday:

"IT IS A DINASOUR. GET OVER IT.

"Time to move on. If Ms. Alarie really disagrees. . . well, she should
chat with Moodys and Standard and Poors.

"Randy Bauer"

Randy Bauer ran for office and got elected twice by claiming great
expertise as the budget director of the State of Iowa "where the tall
corn grows". He was swept from office the first time by the voters who
were unhappy with the move to Crossville.for which Bauer was the main
proponent. The voters forgot about that and put him back into office
two years later. Now, Bauer is calling Chess Life magazine "a
dinasour".

Think about the numbers. If only 10,000 USCF members decide to take
the non-premium membership for $12 less, that means that there will be
$120,000 less to pay the editorial fees of Chess Life. That means the
magazine will fold. It is as simple as that. Even the online version
will not be able to survive. Look at what happened to "Inside Chess"
and to many other magazines when they went online.

Old May 19th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On May 18, 11:12 am, Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

Oh. I forgot. The members voted and you lost the election by a
wide margin. I guess you don't speak for the members after all.

Oh, you also have forgotten the criminal, vicious, extremely dishonest
smearing campain against Sam. Or did you really?

Wlod
Old May 19th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Wlodzimierz Holsztynski Wlod wrote:

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

Oh. I forgot. The members voted and you lost the election by a
wide margin. I guess you don't speak for the members after all.

Oh, you also have forgotten the criminal, vicious, extremely dishonest
smearing campain against Sam. Or did you really?

Nope. But unlike you, I did the math. Try it yourself; count the
total number of users of all newsgroups where those messages were
seen. Now count the number of people who voted in that election.

Yes, there was a "criminal, vicious, extremely dishonest
smearing campain against Sam." and there was also plenty
of examples of Sam making himself look bad. Neither reached
even 1% of the voters.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old May 21st 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Giochberg has gone completely insane. A committee should be formed to
have him committed to the lunatic asylum.

Goichberg has just announced regarding his "New Plan", "The board is
placing it on the delegates agenda".

The "New Plan" is totally nuts.

Goichberg writes in an email today, "I had estimated 50 cents cost per
issue of the bulletin, but the office now reports a cost of just 34
cents. Instead of the quarterly bulletin we now suggest bimonthly for
Regular and Youth and every four months for Scholastic."

Perhaps Mr. Goichberg is not aware that the postal rates just went up
to 42 cents. I would like to hear his explanation of how he will both
print and mail his bulletin which will consist primarily of TLAs for
his own tournaments for only 34 cents.

His "New Plan" provides that the USCF will stop selling life
memberships but will sell ten-year memberships instead.

It is the life memberships that keep the USCF for going out of
business. Every year the USCF sells 80-90 life memberships for $1000
each. Although small in comparison with the total budget, it is that
$80,000 to $90,000 extra money that keeps the USCF from going out of
business.

Also, this $1000 when invested wisely at say 5% brings in more money
than the current dues of $41 per year, so the Goichberg "New Plan" to
stop selling life memberships proves that Goichberg has gone insane
and needs to be committed to a mental institution for his own benefit
and protection.

The "New Plan" does not state what the fate of the existing life
members will be, but it seems clear that they will not get Chess Life
any more but will just get the bulletin.

It is likely that the Life Members will file suit saying that when
they bought a life membership they were promised a subscription to
Chess Life for the rest of their lives. The cost of defending this
suit might prove to be more than the savings realized by not sending
them Chess Life.

As has always been the case with Goichberg in the past, he will not
listen to anybody. A long and distinguished list of long-term USCF
veterans have written to him telling him that his "New Plan" is a very
bad idea. As has long been typical of Goichberg, he thinks that the
only good ideas are his own. He is ignoring the warnings that his "New
Plan" could completely destroy the USCF. He is proceeding forward with
it.