Old May 25th 08, 04:00 PM posted to alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.republican

Default Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Debates a Great Success

Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Debates a Great Success

The Libertarian Party held its debate for presidential candidates last
night, May 24, 2008. It was a great success as all of the candidates
who got into the debates proved to be powerful speakers. The system
was that each delegate was given a “token” which he could then give to
any candidate who wanted to speak. A candidate needed 60 tokens to be
allowed to speak. Since there were 633 seated delegates, that meant
that a maximum of 10 candidates could get into the debates.

Several candidates had a hard time getting the 60 tokens. Only one
hour before the final deadline, only three had made it. Those were Bob
Barr, Mary Ruwart and Wayne Root. However, just before the final
deadline, several candidates who had no chanch gave their tokens to
those who needed them, so a total of seven got into the debate.

Those who made it into the debate we

Former Representative Bob Barr (GA), former Senator Mike Gravel (AK),
Michael Jingozian, Steve Kubby, George Phillies, Wayne Allyn Root and
Mary Ruwart

Those who did not make the cut were Alden Link, Robert Milnes, Jim
Burns, John Finan, Dave Hollist, Daniel Imperato and Christine
Smith.

In my opinion, all of the seven have a good chance except for Bob
Barr. Bob Barr’s record of anti-Libertarian votes in Congress are well
remembered here. I have only found two delegates who have said that
they would be voting for Barr, and one of those seemed to lessen his
support after another delegate showed him a printout of Barr’s record.

I was planning on voting for Wayne Root but not any more after Wayne
Root answered my question about when he would withdraw our troops from
Iraq if elected. Wayne Root said that he could see withdrawing our
troops in 18-24 months, provided that Iraq was peaceful by that time.
That answer ended my support for him.

Right now I think that Mary Ruwart has the best chance. The negative
about her is that she is too extremely Libertarian.

Steve Kubby is an energetic speaker who would be a great candidate.
His negative is that he is a one-issue candidate: Medical Marijuana,
which he says has saved his life. He supports other Libertarian issues
but only when he has too.

Mike Gravel probably has the best chance among all the candidates of
actually being elected President of the United States. I will be happy
to see him as the candidate but he seems weak on some Libertarian
issues.

George Phillies, who is a college professor of Physics from
Massachusetts, spoke very well and energetically. He would be a great
candidate. I am not sure if he has much support however. He had a hard
time collecting 60 tokens.

Many delegates like Michael Jingozian. I feel that he lacks specifics.
He never gives a specific answer to a question. Those who like him say
that he seems thoughtful.

The problem the delegates will have is that all of the candidates have
learned the Libertarian Spiel well and every one of them will give a
stock Libertarian answer when asked a question. There is no way for us
to tell what their actual views are. In New York, a few years ago we
had a candidate who gave all the right answers when seeking our
nomination, but turned out to be the opposite of a Libertarian once he
got on the ballot and into the debates.

I need to thank, re-thank, and re-re-thank Mark Axinn and Dr. Tom
Stevens for getting me credentialed as a delegate from New York. It
was a close question several times. At the very end, there was a rumor
that I and several other late arriving delegates were pro-Bob Barr
Moles. There were several loud shouts that we should not be seated.
Fortunately, the chair ruled that we were in.

Old May 25th 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.republican

"samsloan" wrote in message
Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Debates a Great Success

Right now I think that Mary Ruwart has the best chance. The negative
about her is that she is too extremely Libertarian.

Could you elaborate on this comment ? Thank you.