Old May 28th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Let the USCF Die

Let the USCF die. I no longer care. I'm more interested in what
could later emerge.

OldHaasie
Old May 28th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Old Hassie has not been a member for many years so it is small wonder
that he does not care.

There are those of us, including myself, who are trying to keep this
organization going.

Old May 29th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

samsloan wrote:

Old Hassie has not been a member for many years so it is small wonder
that he does not care.

There are those of us, including myself, who are trying to keep this
organization going.

Don't bother. Since I've been on-line & in these groups for many years
now, the very mention of the USCF has engendered feelings of ennui &
boredom. Parr's description of the 'board' a few years back on their
Florida junket really should be the final nail in the coffin. I mean the
grossness of their presentation, their cheesy grins, their liver spots,
thinning to no hair & loud Hawaian shirts - gawd! These old crusts have
no place in the modern world & they look like they know it to. Yeah, I
know the comforting thud of Chess Life (Lies) on the patio or hallway
carpet gives meaning to the lives of a goodly proportion of subscribers,
it heralds to the postperson, the wife, the friends (if you have any)
who casually drop by, that hey! I'm a cutie, I'm a real intelligent dude
who's into chess. But it's a prop, it's never read - it should die..
Old May 29th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On May 28, 1:07*pm, samsloan wrote:
Old Hassie has not been a member for many years so it is small wonder
that he does not care.

There are those of us, including myself, who are trying to keep this
organization going.

Sam Sloan

==========================
Sam, I am a member ... for almost a year. I even joined the state
association down here in Florida,

OldHaasie

Old May 30th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

CHEEZIEST GRIN COMPETITION

Since I've been on-line & in these groups for many years
now, the very mention of the USCF has engendered feelings of ennui &
boredom. Parr's description of the 'board' a few years back on their
Florida junket really should be the final nail in the coffin. I mean the
grossness of their presentation, their cheesy grins, their liver spots,
thinning to no hair & loud Hawaian shirts - gawd! These old crusts have
no place in the modern world & they look like they know it. -- Nobody

The anonymouse refers to "cheesy grins" among our
Best and Brightest. We will forget the liver spots,
Hawaiian shirts, and the hoary, hairless aspects of
these homunculae for the time being.

We need to concentrate on cheesy grins.
For those with access to photographs of the
Florida chess "retreat," who among that group had the
cheesiest grin? I don't think there is any contest.

Hint: the person in my view with the cheesiest grin in
the photos is the person who for over two decades has
always had the cheesiest grin at Delegates' meetings
and Policy Board meetings.

CHEESY CONTEST: This contest is also cheesy,
given that it is on this forum. Your votes will not be
tabulated, and no prizes are to be awarded. Let us
all just try to read the bulletin boards and discover
whether we can at least reach consensus as to USCF
Old-Timer Grin-Cheeziness.

Can we?

Yours, Larry Parr

Old May 30th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote in message
THE RULING CLIQUE

I don't often disagree with Old Haasie. But Ray
Gordon has something here.

If Mr. Gordon proves wrong and Haasie right, it
will be because the ruling clique has grown old
and won't have the energy to start up again.

For those who saw photos of the USCF "retreat" in
Florida a few years back, there were so many characters
long in the tooth. I knew them when their hair was black
or they still had hair. Be-potted ancients, nearly one and all.

The only one person in the group who looked like he could
take a punch was current Chess Life editor Dan Lucas.

How depressing those photos were.

But, I'll wager that they all read Chess Life printed.

Old May 30th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
SBD SBD is offline

On May 29, 11:30 pm, " wrote:
discover
whether we can at least reach consensus as to USCF
Old-Timer Grin-Cheeziness.

Can we?

Yours, Larry Parr

Yes, let's make fun of people based on their appearance, the favorite
game of 14 year-old girls. And apparently, Larry Parr.
Old May 31st 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

AND THE WINNER IS....

Rynd/Dowd, who forged my name on a university
website, apparently has delicate sensibilities. He now
objects to a contest to determine the cheesiest grin
among USCF old-time honchos, claiming that poking
fun at another's appearance is the favorite pastime of
14-year-old girls.

Not quite. But let's not quibble. I handsomely
stipulate that mocking expressions directed against
the appearance of another is indeed the favorite
pastime of 14-year-old girls. (We had hitherto
thought that breathless conversations about boys
topped the list. But no matter.)

We argue that our proposed grin-cheeziness
contest, though marked for the early teen mentality,
is a step up from the accustomed pre-teen goings-on
in our owns Tinytown.

Joan Collins once said that she climbed the ladder
of success one wrong at a time; we must now climb
the ladder of intellectual puberty wrung by wrung.

Grin-cheeziness -- and the winner to receive a
two-pound loaf of Velveeta.

Yours, Larry Parr